News:

Please add your location to your profile. It will help others to help you!

Main Menu

Penta Rims!

Started by thysonsacclaim, 24 June 2011, 08:13 PM

thysonsacclaim

Picked up a set of 15" Penta Rims off a 126 today for $19.99 each. Gave up on my mission to find 15" bundts, since theyre rare/ezpensive.

Ones I got are like the Ronal or AMG five spoke. Will post pics soon.

Big_Richard

Quote from: thysonsacclaim on 24 June 2011, 08:13 PM

Ones I got are like the Ronal or AMG five spoke. Will post pics soon.

you damn well better  8)

we're waiting  8)

TJ 450

That sounds like a bargain to me. 8)

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

thysonsacclaim

Ive just got to clean them up a bit, theyre a bit grimy, but from my quick test clean using a bottle of water, theyll clean nicely.

Some of the center caps should be replaced since theyre dented or chipped. I believe theyre plastic.

I didnt expect to find rims yesterday, so I had no tire iron with me. Bought one 1.5 hrs before the place closed, and they were hurrying us up because a huge thunderstorm was approaching and they were gonna close early!

The cars there are propped up on rims so you dont have to jack anything, but its a PITA to take a rim off a tire that spins freely and the breaks did no good. So, we
jammed a donut spare between the ground and the tire to keep it from moving. Ghetto, but it worked well.

Since I didnt have time to really look them over well, (we barely made time before the closed), it wasnt until we got home that I saw indeed that one tire is a Ronal, and the other three a some other Merc pentas with only serial numbers. Theyre not AMG, but very similar.

Im at work now, so I suspect Ill get the pics up tomorrow. The center caps and one odd tire make the deal less good, but still for $80 I think I did ok. I recently saw a pair of Ronals here go for 150 and I suspect i can leave the odd tire on the car until I find a match. Its not easy to see the difference unless youre up close.

thysonsacclaim

Okay, the other three do have brand markings. They are ARC Alurad. Hard to find information on them. This thread mentions them: http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r-c107-sl-slc-class/1576853-107s-pentas-5.html

Anyone know about those? They look like this: http://forum.mercedes-benz-clubs.com/viewtopic.php?t=23136&sid=f5c774d3185b2b2fb2d679ef55b63941

And unfortunately the Ronal does look a bit different than I thought, which is a bummer, but I can sort that out later:
http://cdn3.iofferphoto.com/img/item/968/893/57/Kp64s8LYTGxaGCn.jpg

I will get actual pics up soon, I promise!

thysonsacclaim

Here are the rims:

All four:

The single Ronal:

It has a little piece on the lip that is bent. I believe I can fix this easily though.

The other three are Arc-Alurad:

They need to be polished and buffed and what-not. I got them primarily to put on my car while I remove the Centra rims and dechrome them and polish the aluminum. It's a shame, that the fourth rim does not match because they're really not in bad shape all-in-all and for under $20 each, you can't go wrong. I would like to try to get another Arc-Alurad rim, but they don't seem to be easy to come by.

All four rims are marked as being made in West Germany. The spokes have been painted, and I will remove that and see what's underneath. I'm not sure if the spokes are also shiny aluminum like the rims or not.

If I keep them, they will be getting new center caps. The ones on them now are in bad shape. If I don't keep them, I'm fairly sure I can at least double my money on them. The tires you see here are not the ones I'm using on my car. These came with the rims, and they're in bad shape.

s class

The ARC ones are pretty hard to find. 

I've been wanting those Ronal ones though, so if that odd one comes up surplus, talk to me. 

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

adamb

That's a damn good bargain. I've been looking for 16 inch classic rims and good ones are no cheaper than 800 euros refurbished. Not worth getting unrefurbished unless they are cheap because it costs about 70 per wheel to get them looking as new.