News:

The Org - Serving W116 Enthusiasts since 2004!

Main Menu

OZ 450 SE in RSA

Started by pompy, 26 July 2009, 01:34 PM

pompy

I purposely paid a 20% deposit so I can't change my mind and decide not to buy!
If all goes well I'll collect the car by month-end - otherwise end of next month - depending on wether I manage to scrape together enough cash.

pompy

Guys,

Yesterday, on our national highway - N3 -, I spotted, going in the opposite direction, a LHD 116 in what seemed like a shade darker than milan brown - with MB1's. I quickly tried to look for headlight wipers but there were none.
By the time it had passed I could only see a large Deutschland sticker on the spot where the badge '6.9' would have been... and I couldn't see what the nomenclature was on the left!
I'm sure it was a SEL as it seemed well endowed in the length dept - but that could still have been anything from a 280 SEL to a 450 SEL!
Anyways, it had GP plates and looked great - loved the colour!

Again, even in our little country, there are lots of these gems hidden away... mmmm

The above colour would look nice on my potential 450 SE - or, perhaps cypress green - or a shade darker, like the Hunt 6.9.

...damn pieces of art, them 116's!! ;)

pompy

Update:

I spoke to the owner today - new fuel pump is fitted, tank drained and strainer cleaned - but the immobilizer setup seems to be faulty and is cutting power to the fuel pump. He hasn't looked at it in the last month as he works most weekends (he is an elderly guy), although he is in the process of elimination with the relays and disabling the immobilizer (thankfully). He says it starts right up when fuel is poured down the carb/intake(??). Or is it fuel distributor?

This dragged out process actually suits me fine as my finances - finally - allows me to take ownership end Oct.
We agreed that the deal would be concluded then - even if I have to load it and take it to s class and pay him for his expert services to get it going again!

It seems as if, due to my excitement, another sleepless night lies ahead...

Big_Richard

awesome, you shan't regret it, and S-class will have the car running in no time if you take it to him ;)

Getting a w116 is always an exciting proposition - even getting into a good one and driving one, no matter the model is exciting each and every time.

I had a very restless sleep the night before picking up my car, wondering, what the hell have I done. Do I regret it 6 years later ? Hell no!

w116's make absolutely no economic sense to restore, infact theres very little that IS economically sensible about owning one. However, life isn't all about dollars and cents, having something that is fun and makes you happy every time you drive it is VERY sensible as a human being.

WGB

Driving should be an "event" from time to time and a 116 helps make it an event.

I hope it is all you expect it to be.

Bill

s class

Well pompy, I hope it does all work out, and I would love to see the car when you get it. 

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

gregdeklerk

Pompy, have you got the 450 yet?

pompy

Not yet... end of the mnth... hold thumbs

pompy

Guys,

I will be loading the car this week sometime as the owner just hasn't got the time to sort it out.
Happy days!
I'm hoping to borrow a car trailer somewhere.

S Class, if you have the time and the space, I'd like to bring it straight to you - otherwise it is straight home and into the shed.

s class

Pompy, I am quite full at the moment, but I can make time and space for a W116.  I may not be able to start on it though until sunday at the earliest because I have commitments on other cars.  But give me a call - you have my number still?

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

pompy

Thanks s class - I will call today.

pompy

Guys,

S class has agreed to take on the job of getting the car going again - hopefully he has time for more...
I'll load the car on Friday and take it straight to him.

VIN doctors - please decypher this:

116 032 220 49026

117 986 22004681.

pompy

s class

So now what?

116 - W116 series chassis

032 - SWB chassis for 4.5 engine

22 - RHD Automatic built in Germany

049026 - the 49026'th W116 4.5 built (450SE and 450SEL share the same VIN sequence)

117 - M117 4.5 litre v-8

986 - version K-jetronic

22 - engine intended for use in RHD automatic

004681 - the 4681'st 4.5 K-jet engine

Big_Richard

instant car collection - buy both ;)