News:

The ORG - 100% FREE advice!

Main Menu

OZ 450 SE in RSA

Started by pompy, 26 July 2009, 01:34 PM

pompy

What can one expect from a 300k kms tranny that had been sitting for 7 yrs in dry climate at high altitude?

TJ 450

My 450's transmission is needing new clutch and servo seals at 350,000km and probably a stator shaft. I would drive yours first though, after a fluid change and observe how it shifts and whether it is noisy or not.

However, a transmission may appear to function properly, but be about to die. I saw a transmission recently that shifted perfectly and made no unusual noises, but had;

A stripped stator shaft,
A seized front pump sleeve bearing.

BTW, this was not Geiz's 4-Speed conversion one either. ;)

Even so, I wouldn't rebuild it unless it you really want to do it.

Also, I have observed that all of these transmissions behave differently under similarly differing atmospheric conditions, there is a range of operating characteristics.

Both of my functional transmissions shift relatively harshly in cool humid conditions, but are absolutely smooth on a warmish dry day and on a cool dry evening. The 450's transmission may even start to flare on the 2nd to 3rd shift. This is just above sea level.

If someone has a transmission that remains the same all the time, I'd like to hear about it. ;)

My 6.9 does a peculiar thing whereby the first and sometimes second shift into 3rd is quite a "slam" and is slightly concerning. This is when setting out on a drive when the car is stone cold.

Anyway, there's a few points to consider when you test it, for comparison.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

pompy

Tim,

I, too, have felt differences in gear changes at different altitudes - and perhaps air temps.
The exception, though, was my 350 SE (170k kms - 196k kms) - that car was as smooth at -6 deg C as it was at 35 deg C, high or low altitude, wether the drivetrain was hot or cold.

Other cars, such as my 560 SEL (300k kms), was quite a harsh shifter untill I adjusted the Bowden cable and the modulator, after which shifting quality became acceptable, although D selection was a bit abrupt, hot or cold. R selection was always smooth and swift though. This car shifted smoother at sea level than at altitude but tended to slam into 4th depending on throttle position.

The other car is Mom's 300 E which has always been a harsh shifter at high altitude and less so at sea level. D take-up was always smooth when cold but a tad abrupt when the drivetrain was hot. Recently, at 245k kms, I adjusted the modulator one full turn, and here at high altitude, it is now as smooth as butter when taking up D or R and when shifting through the gears - HOT OR COLD. I must add that D and R take-up is almost immediate - so there is still lots of life left in that 'box.

None of the above transmissions have ever flared in any conditions.

As for the 450 SE in hand - we'll have to see how it behaves - but I wont fix it -I'll scrap it and fit a 4spd...

Can you elaborate on a seized front pump sleeve bearing, please? Is that the extra loud 'whirr' you hear at idle, that becomes noisier as revs increase and less so as revs decrease, when changing between D and R and P? Will that cause damage to the torque converter?

TJ 450

The "whirr" definitely emanates from the front pump area, so it would make sense that it would be a seized bronze bush. My 450 makes that sort of sound (not all the time) and I'm expecting to find it displaced when I remove the transmission for overhaul. It could quite easily become seized to the torque converter, but there's no way of knowing without pulling the trans.

Yes, proper adjustment goes a long way to making sure things work properly. I'll have to take my 6.9 to the pros with the proper measuring instruments, so that I know that the operating pressures are correct. I adjusted it by test driving which is not recommended. ;)

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

pompy

Ryan took the 450 SE this week for its first drive in 8 yrs!
He says the SLS feels 100% and the tranny shifts perfectly - so a tranny service is worth it and will be done.
Only problem is the waterpump spewing out coolant.
He collected a new unit from Benz yesterday and will have it fitted by the weekend as I am collecting the car on Sunday.

I AM BEYOND EXCITED.

Otherwise, the car drives great he says, and the motor seems very good still.
Oh yes, we need a new accumalator - so that's on order.
Even all the electric windows still work.
Amazing how after 8 yrs of not even being started it takes to the road as if driven recently... but that's a 116 for you!

s class

Yes, I had considerable difficulty with the initial startup, and ended up removing the new injectors and injector lines again, to clean them out.  Once reassembled, I got it started up.  After basic setting of idle air, mixture and ignition timing, the car was happy to idle on its own.  No problems on the test drive, though the water pump did start leaking - really badly. 

Cold start is a little sluggish due to the fuel accumulator having a leaking diaphragm.  Performance of the car was pretty good considering the ignition distributor is locked up and giving no advance, probably due to corrosion. 

I hope to have the water pump installation complete, and free up the ignition distributor by Saturday evening. 

Hold thumbs. 

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

Tony66_au

Nice work fella's, I can sympathise with the Rat poo cleanup as I recently had to do this with my Range Rover after 7 months stuck in my front paddock.

Final stage was a total wipe down with Hibiclense inside and out which was kindly supplied by a mate who is a Vet, he uses it to clean his surgery down after operations and strongly suggested its use muttering something about Black plague and other nasty pathogens.

He also did a scan with an ultra violet wand to show me where there was Rat urine and it was everywhere.

YUM! Point taken.

Tony

pompy

Yip, its safe and home with me. The condition of the motor and gearbox after 300 000kms and 8 yrs of being a rat's nest exceed my expectations by a mile. The motor has no taps or knocks and the gearbox is as smooth as butter and there is no smoke whatsoever. WONDERFUL.
It pulls strongly from idle and sounds awesome. After about half an hour drive yesterday oil pressure settled at 1,5 bar at 750 rpm which is good on 15w40.
Ryan has gone to great lengths to ensure this car runs perfectly - and it does. There was a hell of lot to do, replace and rectify what previous boneheads had stuffed up. Thanx Ryan.

Homeward bound...

http://img718.imageshack.us/img718/8180/0411024x768d.jpg

pompy

...and home safely

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

pompy

I finally went for a nice highway spin this pm and am still very impressed and happy. No vibrations, rattles, squeaks or farts - and it didn't miss a beat. The front shocks are def stuffed and wheel alignment is also def out.
I'll have to replace the air cells as the rear end ride is firm though not rock hard yet.

I LOVE THIS CAR.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

pompy

Oh yes, it has now done 57kms since sitting for 8yrs.

oscar

Awsome pompy!  So glad to hear it's up and running.   8)
1973 350SE, my first & fave

Casey

Quote from: Major Tom 6.9 on 30 September 2009, 06:34 PM
w116's make absolutely no economic sense to restore, infact theres very little that IS economically sensible about owning one. However, life isn't all about dollars and cents, having something that is fun and makes you happy every time you drive it is VERY sensible as a human being.

Here, here!

s class

Quote from: pompy on 04 May 2011, 02:51 AM
Oh yes, it has now done 57kms since sitting for 8yrs.

I can't believe that's all you've done - I handed the car over to you with about 30 litres fuel in the tank - what's keeping you back?

BTW - check that temp gauge - bang on 80 degrees even when pushing at 150 km/h

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

pompy

Tiii-iii-iii-ime... aint on my si-ide, know it aint!

Trust me Ryan - I'd drive it every day if I had the time available.
It sounds nuts, but I really am that busy. Between dairy and mixed farming and repping 200kms away I have 2 hrs to myself on a Saturday and 3 on a Sunday. That's why the 500 has been sitting for 3 mnths covered in dust.

Yesterday I heard that I have tow my aunt's caravan to the Natal South Coast tmrw mrng - AND set it up with three connecting tents! Ugh, there goes my whole weekend again... and next week is another 200km/h race against time.
BUT, I will squeeze in another spin.

Yup, 80 deg is where it sat all the way. Back in the garage I let it idle for @ 10 mins, after which it crept up to @ 85 deg max. So all I did was idle it upto 2 000 rpms and the visco fan brought it back down to 80 in less than a minute.

As ole Travolta said in Black hawk down: "G@d damn, what a ruuush!"