News:

Please add your location to your profile. It will help others to help you!

Main Menu

OZ 450 SE in RSA

Started by pompy, 26 July 2009, 01:34 PM

pompy

Thanx s class. Check yr e-mail.

The white car is paid for already...

s class

En toe?  Het jy gisteraand geslaap, of moes jy so ietsie vir die spanning gebruik?

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

pompy

Eish... met eish ja! I woke up, though, at 12:00 and knew I was going to be awake 'till mrng... so I jumped up and chowed a sleeping pill... 02:00 was the last I saw 'till 5 this AM...

The car is now safely at s class's... and I am happy.
Let the games begin.

s class

A large quantity of rat-poo has been vacuumed up, and the engine bay has been pressure cleaned.   The traditional rust areas under the bonnet hinges, and below the antiroll bar mounts were packed up with old leaves, rat poo and moisture (as expected) - You are a lucky fellow - I found no real rust to speak of, just a few patches of surface rust.  This car is good, solid, and straight. 

The rats have been at the ignition leads and vacuum lines though.  The air metering flap is locked solid - it seems the fuel metering piston is frozen/rusted in its bore in the fuel distributor. I'll get a better look at things on Sunday. 

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

s class

Think of these as the 'before' photos :

As found :

dinner for the rats :

Every crevice full of rat's poo :

And clearly this was the main ablution facility :

s class

the rat's poo was all vacuumed up, and then I pressure cleaned. 

This afternoon I lifted the right valve cover, and found things basically in good health :

It appears the camshaft, and possibly the head, has been off before :

Chain stretch 12 degrees, tensioner well extended :

Many of the injector insulators are split.  They will have to come out :

pompy

I managed to pay S class and of course my 450!!! a quick visit this mrng.
The car is up on stands and Ryan is working his magic.
We are going to completely overhaul the ignition, timing, fuel injection/delivery, vacuum, braking and cooling systems... parts are already either in hand or on order.
Some parts will take 3-4 weeks before they arrive. Yes, it is going to end up being a rather major mechanical restoration as, inevitably, we will find more things to do "while we're at it" Also, no shortcuts will be taken and we'll stick to genuine Merc parts as far as it makes financial sense...ie: even the seals in the calipers.
This is all very exciting as the end result is going to be a very special car and one that is going to run like hell!
The plan is to get it 100% perfect mechanically - before we move onto cosmetics... well, I might have to do the rims as well as I'm going to have to put new rubber on them...
I inspected the body again this mrng and it is great and s class confirms it being 100% accident free.
The interior is going to require only dash and woodwork and a period Becker. The leather and doorpads are truelly in excellent condition and will look even better with a good clean.

TJ 450

It's looking pretty impressive already.

The RH camshaft looks in good order. It's quite refreshing when you remove a rocker cover and it all looks OK, hopefully the LHS is just as good.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

s class

pompy, since you left, the sprockets are out, the tensioner rail is out, and I had a look down at the bottom chain guides.  They don't look as bad as I expected.  Tomorrow I will get the rear on stands as well, and look at the rear calipers.  I will also start disassembling the fuel delivery system in preparation for removing the tank. 

oscar

I've got guts of steel, or so I reckon, and can handle a lot of sights and smells but the rat poo photos just about made me puke.   I've been there (cleaning up rat poo) and the photos bring back bad memories.  I can smell it from here.  Sounds like a bit of a gem underneath all that crap but man you've done a good job sclass from what we can see so far.
1973 350SE, my first & fave

Big_Richard

one just hopes good old Ryan is wearing gloves or has seriously disinfected that engine bay, that mess is a biohazard. And no Mercedes is worth getting a disease over ;)

pompy

I eat rat pooh for breakast!

nathan

you eat pieces of shit for breakfast?!
ha ha not sure if u deliverately referenced happy gilmore but still funny!
1979 116 6.9 #6436
2018 213 e63
2011 212 e63
2011 463 g55
2007 211 e500 wagen
1995 124 e320 cabriolet
1983 460 300gd
1981 123 280te

Big_Richard

Quote from: nathan on 08 November 2009, 06:42 PM
you eat pieces of shit for breakfast?!
ha ha not sure if u deliverately referenced happy gilmore but still funny!

tisk tisk,

offensive language Dr Nathan.  :o