News:

The ORG - Truly Independent and Unbiased!

Main Menu

"Original" vs "restored" - where to draw the line?

Started by raueda1, 02 October 2018, 12:05 PM

raueda1

At the extreme ends of the scale the answer is obvious.  But at what point does an "original" car become a "restored" car?

Examples: 
> Say you've got a perfect, rust-free chassis, original drive train but replacement seat covers and a respray.  Is that still "original" cause it's really just repairs? 
> If the original engine or transmission is rebuilt does that qualify as a repair or is the car no longer original but restored?

It's easy to conjure up all kinds of similar scenarios.  Comments welcome!
-Dave
Now:  1976 6.9 Euro, 2015 GL550
Before that:  1966 230S, 1964 220SE coupe, 1977 Carrera 3.0

ptashek

For the purists, and concourse judges, the second you change anything other than a serviceable item, like filters, spark plugs etc. the car is no longer original.

It's nuts.
1993 "Pearl Blue" W124 280TE
1988 "Arctic White" W124 200T
1979 "Icon Gold" W116 450SE

marku

The latest category is preserved. Everything is original including the paint finish even if faded. Interiors untouched everything to show that the car had a life which is not a bad thing. I have seen cars that are immaculate but when you look closely nothing is original. They are for the investment market and as long as the numbers match virtually everything else can be replaced. Mercedes  have three classifications Connoisseur, Collector and Driver so you take your pick.  The ideal must be as original as possible normal wear and tear accepted and of course regularly driven.
1974 450SE silver green/bamboo velour/green vinyl roof

rumb

Preservation class award is pretty low standard to get.  Car cannot be "restored", but most anything can be maintained over the years using correct parts.  new seat covers, partial resprays, are allowed. I think the line is crossed if you do a full respray and new interior + replate parts in engine bay.

you only have to pass 3 out of 5 categories.

If your car looks showroom, and isnt a true survivor then it's restored.

'68 250S
'77 6.9 Euro
'91 300SE,
'98 SL500
'14 CLS550,
'16 AMG GTS
'21 E450 Cabrio

marku

I don't think that "preservation" means doing nothing. You have to admit would you personally credit a car where everything has been replaced. I know they are popular with investors but we are supposed to be enthusiasts and I for one value every bit of originality and history.  It is getting to a point where more and more are being over restored. You wouldn't want to be unable to take the car out on the road from either value or vandalism. I am not being entirely truthful though as I have to admit going a little far on the 450SE but I find much of the interest in doing the work. 
1974 450SE silver green/bamboo velour/green vinyl roof