News:

The W116 Library - The definitive W116 resource!

Main Menu

On the road in the AM

Started by 1980sdga, 09 June 2011, 07:32 PM

1980sdga

I haven't had the 300SD on the road since my AC drains being plugged flooded my car  :-\ 

While I dealt with that I discovered a bad center driveshaft bearing and no shifter bushings and fixed that as well.  While it was down I also replaced the tie rod ends/ sleeves and had a new alignment.

Oh yea, installed the Becker Mexico and did Koans ipod mod on it  8) plus changed the fresh air element. Thanks Joe and Koan!

I had plans for the car  when I got it but none of these projects were on the agenda  ;D

About 400 miles total so wish me luck!  Lotta night driving so I'm looking forward to passing the miles in the warm glow of the Becker  8)

1980sdga

The trip up was fine. The car performed flawlessly. Ran well, handled well, AC worked fine. Temp stayed around 80. It was HOT and I was happy that the AC kept up.  I had also installed the fresh air element so I was keen to see how that worked out.

On the way home the trouble started...

I had turned the AC off when I stopped for something to drink and to clean the windshield.  When I got back underway I noticed that the ACC was OFF and I was still getting air through the vents.  I figured the fresh air element was hooked up backwards so I pulled off and swapped the lines.  Everything seemed to work until I switched the compressor on. I noticed that it wasn't cooling so I cycled the compressor a few times with no result. 

I stopped again to check if the clutch was engaging and I noticed that the clutch was slipping  ???  No belt squealing or anything. It engaged but was just slipping.

I got home to the garage so I could take a look and when I turned the compressor on it made a god-awful noise so I shut it off.

I'll check it out in the AM...

I'm a little bummed but the car runs/drives great so It really is just a minor thing that can be worked out.

jbrasile

Jon,

Bummer about the compressor.... when it happened tome it just locked completely and I had to replace the whole thing so you may only need a new clutch.

Joe

1980sdga

I started another thread about my compressor. Hopefully my trials will help someone else out  :)

1980 300SD #2 is down for now but I did some parts chasing in 1980 300SD #1 today and enjoyed it!  That old car runs and drives like a champ!

I do love these old machines...

Hemersam

Is there a "fresh air element" on my '78 280SE? If so, where is it located? Thanks.
Hemersam

jbrasile

Hemersam,

Yes there is, it is located behind the glove box and it is blue/white with two hoses hooked up to it.

Tks,

Joe

Hemersam

Well, I never knew of this. Exactly what does it do? It looks pretty small to be filtering all the air coming into the passenger compartment.
Hemersam

1980sdga

It's a dual acting vacuum pod that opens/closes the flap that lets cabin air into the blower.  I believe they go bad because it cycles every time you start the car.  Most folks just plug the lines to it if it's leaking.

Bugger to change  ;D

koan

A bit of confusion here, Hemersam is asking if there is a cabin air filter to filter fresh air from the outside, no there isn't.

koan
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

Hemersam

jbrasile

Oooops.... .... the technical name for the fresh air flap actuator is "fresh air element" so I thought that's what Hemersam was looking for... sorry about the confusion.

Tks

Joe

1980sdga

The whole "element" nomenclature is rather confusing.  There are also elements in our diesel injector pumps...