News:

www.W116.org - The #1 resource for our W116! Established 2004

Main Menu

Now this is what I call a W116......

Started by Des, 11 July 2006, 05:13 PM

Des

Now this is what I call a W116......

I have been sitting on the fence for a while about the idea of the extra wood on the dashboard, I'm now easily convinced that is a stunning look

cipha

A very smart looking car indeed.

One can't help wondering why an AMG car [if it was originally prepared by them] doesn't have an AMG steering wheel.

Worth noting, this must be a very late model: foot operated parking brake, climate control, ABS, cold air scoops into the two intake trumpets of the air cleaner.

Was this phot taken in France: they were the only country that mandated use of 'yellow' fog lights?

oscar

Holy cow Des, that looks awsome.  I luurrv burlwood!  What a fine 6.9. Too many things to comment on .
1973 350SE, my first & fave

michaeld

Des,

That is a beauty, all right.  And the wood looks magnificent.  About the only way I'm going to be able to afford to have that much wood in my interior is to carry around a potted plant!!!  But that is something.

I've had a Cadillac Fleetwood, and a Lincoln Towncar.  Both were "top" luxury cars - both had plastic "wood grain-like" trim.  I can't tell you how many times I've been driving down the road and looked down at my dashboard to admire the real thing.  Mind you, I'd admire the dash on that AMG even more!

You know, I look at that AMG, and it occurs to me how absolutely beautiful the lines of the 116 are.  But then I think of my own black beauty, and I realize that my car has the exact same body, the same lines.  My car has some dings and scratches, but it still shines up nice.  It is a truly beautiful automobile.

Thanks for the photos.  They show how beautiful these cars really are (or can be), but also remind me of just what I prize I've got in my own garage!
Mike

Des

These pictures were posted on another forum, http://www.m-100.cc/forum/default.asp

thought you guys would enjoy the eye candy.

I don't think that it is a 6.9, just a 450SEL, notice no dry sump or dash knob for the suspension

from the background and the yellow fog lamps I can only think of France as the location of this car.

robertd

Thats the most appealing custom job I have seen so far. These cars are maturing beautifully.
Thanks for the pics,
Regards Robert
Melbourne Australia
116   1978 450SEL 6.9 #  4848
116   1979 450SEL  6.9 # 5884
116   1979 450SEL  6.9 # 6225  SOLD
116   1978 450SEL  6.9 # 5128  SOLD
116   1979 450SEL  6.9 # 5884  SOLD
116   1974 450SEL  DJet

oscar

Quote from: Des on 12 July 2006, 01:29 AM
I don't think that it is a 6.9, just a 450SEL, notice no dry sump or dash knob for the suspension

Des I don't know why I thought it was a 6.9.   :P When I saw the pic of the engine bay I immediately questioned whether it was a 4.5L.  Then again, although it looked different i can't remember how to tell the difference.  The longer than normal left hand side rocker cover breather hose suggests a 6.9, or so I thought.  I'm probably way off. ?  A 6.3 is distinct with it's air intake but how do you tell the difference with a 6.9? Cheers.

Des

mate the most obvious difference under the bonnet of a 6.9, is well the massive size of that M100 motor,
notice the hydrolic pump mounted on the front of the car next to the thermo fan, that powers the suspension,

the oil cap is over on the driver's side front guard, just out of the range of this picture.
also notice there is a cap next to the radiator on the right side, this is for checking the oil in the suspension,

im sure others can point out a million differences, thats just the most basic

AMG69

Hmmmmmm! Very very nice indeed!  All that wood comes from (amongst other places) an EBAY site called Benzwood (under EBAY Stores); They sell the dash, centre console box, speaker covers, gear knob, the wood rimmed steering wheel and the centre wood insert;
as for the door trims (as per the 6.3) - I've never seen that before on W116.  I have the 560 air cleaner and all those hoses this car has - pity there isnt enough room in a 6.9 for them to fit as neatly as they do on the 4.5litre V8....sigh
Chris M
sigh....sitting back contemplating the next purchase..!

oscar

Yeah Des, I see what you mean. I thought changing plugs in my petite 350 was tight. 

Seeing yours reminds about something I noticed in the only 6.9 motor I've seen up close, being The Gleaming Beauty.  The ignition leads in all M116 and M117 motors run over the middle of the rocker covers. Like mine below and the AMG car.

Yours and every 6.9 have the leads crossing over towards the front of the rocker covers.  Pretty bold assumptions but I reckon that's a major diff.  As you say amongst the other million differences. :) So yes, the car in question's a 4.5L

MY tiny 3.5Lt, look at the extra space around the rocker covers compared to the 6.9

Chris is that site german?  The odd occasion I see zebrano or burl tacho's it's in German.

One more comment about this AMG.  Of all the extra chrome bits, did you notice the radiator expansion tank.  I've only seen plastic containers but this chrome looking one has a similar moulded shape.  How would he have got that look? Chromed plastic?  Are there metal ones?

Shame he hasn't got a front spoiler.

Quote from: oscar on 12 July 2006, 07:42 AM
One more comment about this AMG.  Of all the extra chrome bits, did you notice the radiator expansion tank.  I've only seen plastic containers but this chrome looking one has a similar moulded shape.  How would he have got that look? Chromed plastic?  Are there metal ones?

Not sure how he got the look, but that chromed expansion tanks absolutely begs the question: How on earth does he check his coolant level?  Although the chromed matser cylinder lid doesn't present the same problem.

And he has a rather grotesquely small battery in there, too...

Des

You could aways just take the cap off and have a look.....

The parts that most interest me under the bonnet is the AMG aircleaner, which is different to what I've seen before and the ABS, something that should have been fitted to all 6.9's standard.

Quote from: Des on 12 July 2006, 08:18 AM
You could aways just take the cap off and have a look.....

The parts that most interest me under the bonnet is the AMG aircleaner, which is different to what I've seen before and the ABS, something that should have been fitted to all 6.9's standard.

I guess that would work, it just seemed like the last time I did that on a V8 116, it was harder to get a feel for the level than just looking through the tank.

Are you referring to Oz 6.9s having ABS as standard? I know my dad's Euro '76 6.9 didn't have it...but then, if memory serves, ABS didn't come out 'till late '78, so I guess his wouldn't have, anyway   :-\  And BTW, if any statesiders want some 6.9 parts, feel free to PM me, since his 6.9 will likely never take to the road again...(unless someone buys it from him and sinks some $$ into it)

Des

Yes I believe the ABS option should have been fitted standard across the various markets to MB's flagship liner, the 6.9, the hydroneumatic suspension was cutting edge technology, the M-100 motor was already a legend, seems quite natural to me to stop that fury of power with equally cutting edge ABS brakes.

oscar

I was going to ask about that brake setup.  i forgot about ABS.  But you're quite right Des.  What was one of the most expensive cars due to it's technical achievement should've had ABS standard. 

I reckon they should've also badged the car as 690sel.  That would've saved some confusion over the years.