News:

The Org - Serving W116 Enthusiasts since 2004!

Main Menu

Now this is what I call a W116......

Started by Des, 11 July 2006, 05:13 PM

oscar

Quote from: styria on 12 July 2006, 03:51 PM
The black (not chromed) Radiator overflow tank is a genuine Mercedes Benz part-very early 116, usually 350's, had that very same tank. I used to have one in my 6.9 just to be different, but it kept leaking at the seams despite two repair attempts. It is still in my possession. Regards, Styria

Thanks Styria.  I thought it may have been metal and chromed later.  I've thought it interesting how my plastic one looks very clear compared to others I see that have discoloured.  I think mine must have been replaced along the way.
1973 350SE, my first & fave

AMG69

Oscar, I actually have a magazien article from a USA magazine (will need to dig it out to confirm details) dated 1975 I think which is headlined something like "Mercedes new super sedan - the 690SEL"; (its a pre release article) I guess the marketing guys then changed their minds!

Des, that 450 is "wearing" a standard 560SEL / 420SEL (W126) air cleaner I suspect with an AMG badge for good measure; I have the same one sitting in the boot of my car which is STILL at the body shop (curse swear)....I never was patient!; anyway, I have had the body shop guys paint it black (instead of silver) and will attempt to fit it with modified hoses as the originals wont fit around the large 6.9 battery amongst other things; will post photo in due course. 
sigh....sitting back contemplating the next purchase..!

Des

If they had called the 450SEL 6.9, the 690SEL it would imply that the car was a higher model than the 600 series limo.

AMG69

sigh....sitting back contemplating the next purchase..!

s class

calling it a 690  or a 700 would have undermined the efforts to keep it a sleeper.  I think many owners wanted it to look like a standard 116 until mashing the gas at the traffic light. 

Ryan

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL