News:

The Org - Serving W116 Enthusiasts since 2004!

Main Menu

newbie from the Netherlands

Started by Zuendfolge, 20 January 2009, 10:31 AM

Zuendfolge

Hi,
im a 31 year old MB enthousiast.
Since about 2 years I drive a 1977 450SE in the wonderfull color of Milanbraun metallic with a White/creme Leather interior.

The car is great! I previously owned a 1974 280SE (manual, white with red interior), a 1972 280SE (automatic, red metallic with black cloth interior) and a 1974 280S (silver metallic with blue cloth).
I have had a lot of cars already, but this is my first V8 and that is why I bought it.

Also I wanted to have a 450SE(L) and not a 350 because of the bigger torque at lower RPM. (why go for less  ;D)

I found this car in Germany and it had the colors and price that I was looking for so I bought it (so easy  :D ).

I really like to read from people around the world, I like to read about differences, in cars, in opinions etc. Great!

Hope to read/write a lot!

Best regards,
Zuendfolge

TJ 450

Hi Zuendfolge,

That's a great colour scheme!

I can't wait for the pics. ;)

I'm sure you'll find a lot of interesting information on this forum, too. :)

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

Mforcer

Welcome Zuendfolge! :)

Quote from: Zuendfolge on 20 January 2009, 10:31 AM
I really like to read from people around the world, I like to read about differences, in cars, in opinions etc. Great!
Michael
1977 450SE [Brilliant Red]
2006 B200

johnnyw116

welcome zuendfolge this site is really great !
JohnnyW116

OzBenzHead

Welkom! En wat is uw Zündfolge?   :D

There is plenty of good information sharing here, so make yourself at home.

And, photos, please.  :D
[img width=340 height=138][url="http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a215/OzBenzHead/10%20M-B%20Miscellany/OBH_LOGO-2a-1.png"]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a215/OzBenzHead/10%20M-B%20Miscellany/OBH_LOGO-2a-1.png[/url][/img]

Zuendfolge

Hello,

thanks!
I tried to insert a picture already, but something went wrong?

Here's a small movie of my car on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0CCu-OPGj8&feature=channel_page

The car is really great. I had 6 cyl. cars before, I even enjoyed my former 280SE automatic a lot, but the 450SE is really the nicest car to drive! So smooth! The seats are so comfortable. This summer I need t pay some attention to a little rust point at the sunroof and the Back fenders. For the rest this car has not been spoiled too much by former owners.
I have the car for some 2 years now and besides the hydraulic levelling system on the back (which was broken when I bought the car) nothing has gone wrong.

This month I will put on steel rims with the Hubcaps in color, see how tat looks!

See you!

Zuendfolge 1-4-3-2 (on my diesel ;-)

Zuendfolge

another try with the pictures:

or:

and:

and:

OzBenzHead

Zünd: That's a combination I've not seen before: wood trim on the upper half of the console (around the heater controls) but none on the ashtray or lower part.  On the early W116s the wood was usually just across the dash in a horizontal strip; the later ones had wood all over the console.

And what is the large knob on the console, to the right of the gear stick?

Your car looks good.  :D
[img width=340 height=138][url="http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a215/OzBenzHead/10%20M-B%20Miscellany/OBH_LOGO-2a-1.png"]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a215/OzBenzHead/10%20M-B%20Miscellany/OBH_LOGO-2a-1.png[/url][/img]

Big_Richard

very nice colour combination, she looks to be in excellent condition too.

Always a pleasure to see such a fine example of an original 116  8)

TJ 450

That's a wonderful looking car. :)

I can tell from the pic that your steering wheel has the small diameter spline, just like the one on my 6.9. ;)

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

Big_Richard

Quote from: TJ 450 on 28 January 2009, 05:03 AM
That's a wonderful looking car. :)

I can tell from the pic that your steering wheel has the small diameter spline, just like the one on my 6.9. ;)

Tim

how can you tell, just by looking at the steering wheel ?

Ive had both versions side by side and couldnt see any difference ???

TJ 450

The main difference is that the rim is smaller in diameter than the later version. The later version looks as if it has "put on weight", it has extra padding. :D

Edit: I should also note that there is a transitional version with the smaller spline that appears more like the later version.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

Big_Richard

oh right, by the sounds of it, when the 116 update came around they looked for a steering wheel from the truck parts bin  ::)

IT certainly seems big enough for a truck, or atleast a bus  8)

TJ 450

Quote from: Patrick Bateman on 28 January 2009, 08:41 AM
IT certainly seems big enough for a truck, or at least a bus  8)
It certainly is.

Regarding the diameter, I didn't quite explain it properly...
I meant the cross sectional diameter of the rim, I think the actual diameter of the wheel is the same. 8)

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

Zuendfolge

Hi Tim,

The car is from september 1977 (Just at the peak of trouble in Germany, for those who know the movie "Der Baader Meinhof Komplex"  ;) )
So I would expect it to have the larger diameter Spline (as The W123 all had the larger diameter and came out in 1976).
Also from the W115 model I know the Soft wheels with the small Spline had little chrome strips on the 4 spikes.

Just to go further into it, There is also a 3th steering wheel delivered in the W116, just at the start looking more or less like these but with Horn Buttons in the middle plate. I have had a 280SE from 07-1972 with this steering wheel.

Oz: [That's a combination I've not seen before: wood trim on the upper half of the console (around the heater controls) but none on the ashtray or lower part.  On the early W116s the wood was usually just across the dash in a horizontal strip; the later ones had wood all over the console.

And what is the large knob on the console, to the right of the gear stick?
]
I dont know about the wood trim around the heating section, maybe someone mounted it afterwards. I like the wood and maybe someday I will put also a wooden ashtray and console if I get the chance!
The "Large Knob" is a Plate of St. Christoffel, the saint who protects travellers, a nice feature from the original owner  :D  (did any of you see the movie "Crash"? From that movie I know that also in the USA people know this saint  ;D

The car is original but also has it flaws. It has been repainted (in the original color Milanbrown metallic) but has some rust on the open roof and backside fenders (damaged paint). Also the door-step-beams (how to call them?) were welded and not exactly how I would like that done, but OK, It's Ok now and maybe in some years I could look at that again.

Thanks for your kind words!

Zund