News:

The W116 Library - The definitive W116 resource!

Main Menu

newbie from the Netherlands

Started by Zuendfolge, 20 January 2009, 10:31 AM

oscar

Hey Zund, just watched the video, great sound in those fast drive by clips. 

Did the cops catch up to you  :D  Where was the siren sound coming from?
1973 350SE, my first & fave

TJ 450

Quote from: oscar on 29 January 2009, 06:59 AM
Hey Zund, just watched the video, great sound in those fast drive by clips. 

Did the cops catch up to you  :D  Where was the siren sound coming from?
I wondered about that, it sounded pretty close. ;)

Regarding the steering wheel, the W123 was indeed the first to introduce the larger spline, but I think the W116 continued until later, perhaps 1977 even. I understand that it coincides with the changeover to full zebrano consoles. There is also a version of the small-splined wheel without the chrome accent pieces.

Anyway, I'm now unsure what wheel you have, Zund. :D

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

Zuendfolge

Hi There,

Well, on my last holiday I was able to purchase an original police car siren.. just for a joke I mounted the thing in the 450  :D

I think the small spine steering wheels all had the chrome accents (I checked some older car pics), i also remember them from my fathers W115, and I remember once I was trying to mount such a steering wheel in my fathers W123 (which did not work of course). I still tried to put the chrome accents on the W123 steering wheel (which also didnt work very well as I recall).

But I will make a picture of the Button-horn steering wheel I still have at home which was onnly mounted in very early W116 and W107 models, I think very few of these Wheels remain, because I saw them very seldom. Did anyone of you see it sometime?

Best regards!
Zund (Who is driving the 450 again today  :D cold nice sunny weather, the car waiting for me outside to drive home)

TJ 450

The wheel in my 6.9 has the chrome accents, but when I bought the car it didn't have a steering wheel. I purchased it off eBay Germany. The build date is around the end of 1976.
Nathan on this forum allowed me to use a steering wheel off one of his wrecked 450s, which had the small spline but no chrome trim. I'm not sure what year that car was, but it was a Euro import. The trim may have even been removed, but it looked more like the later wheel. It may have been a '76 car, but I thought it was '77.

I've seen those wheels with the horn buttons in my book on 107s, I like the look of them. I haven't seen them on a W116 yet, but I would imagine the very early ones might have had them with the small centre emblem.

Those are excellent images. :)

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

Zuendfolge

thanks Tim!

My 09-1972 280SE (chassis# 479 or something) had this steering wheel in it. It seemed original but maybe somebody put it in. (as the pic of the lady driving also shows an early model, maybe even a pre-production modell with a "normal" wheel in it).

I saved this one out of my brothers 250C, in which it surely does not belong.

Big_Richard

typical woman driver - not looking where she's going  ::)

The AC knob is also a dead give away its an early model, it was green in early days, along with the bezel and then blue in later models.  8)

Zuendfolge

Quote: typical woman driver - not looking where she's going 

;D ;D :D
Yeah, good thing in this case she's stopped  ;D

also the line/rim in the dashwood indicates an early model

Zund

Zuendfolge

Hi Tim,

Did you import a 6.9 from Germany to Australia? That must have been quite an undertaking!?

I saw one standing about 10km from my house some time ago. It was somewhat neglected and had this faint blue color which made it appear more like a 280S  (which could bring some fun in some situations  :D

But I didn't dare asking the price for the car as my wife would kill me  ::)
But anyway too bad as it might have been real cheap, it's gone now.

Like your white car! It's strange with white, sometimes I don't like it, sometimes it's the only thing right! (but it needs to be a pastel white like 717, I dont like 050)

Best regards,
Zund

TJ 450

Hi Zuendfolge,

I got the 6.9 locally, the steering wheel came from Germany. Importing a 6.9 from Germany would have been very extreme. 8)

Quote from: Zuendfolge on 24 February 2009, 08:29 AM
Like your white car! It's strange with white, sometimes I don't like it, sometimes it's the only thing right! (but it needs to be a pastel white like 717, I dont like 050)

Best regards,
Zund
Thanks. :)

Normally, I consider white a bit drab. On the W116, I think it looks excellent with the chrome when the paint is in good order. The original colour of my 450SEL is 737G, from memory.

I really like the original blue that my 6.9 came in and being a nonmetallic colour, it is quite practical.
I like the idea of putting a 280SEL badge on my 6.9, which I'll probably do at some point!

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

s class

In the pic of the woman in the 116, the engine isn't running (no oil pressure) and the tranny is in park.   8)

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

Zuendfolge

Quote from: s class on 24 February 2009, 10:07 AM
In the pic of the woman in the 116, the engine isn't running (no oil pressure) and the tranny is in park.   8)

She's probably waiting for her husband to come back and drive the car  :D Nice Gloves though! :)

Tim, yes I saw some pics of your 6.9 in flat blue on the forum somewhere. That 6.9 I saw had the same colour and I was wondering who would order this colour for a 6.9. Very special. But I also like unicolours (non metallic) better, it's much more easy.
I know 737 from some W114 I saw, it is a nice pastell colour. I even had a model 450SEL in white when I was a child, very nice :-)

I really didn't dare to buy that 6.9 then. I was looking for an american V8 car (1964 Caddillac 4 door or something equal) but for me a Mercedes was still cheaper and more familiar (easy with parts and because I already own Mercedes). So I bought the 450SE and I think it drives better as a US car. But still I would like to have a Chrysler-Caddy or something from 1955-1965....