News:

www.W116.org - The #1 resource for our W116! Established 2004

Main Menu

New W116 owner

Started by cayenne116, 25 December 2019, 05:35 AM

cayenne116

Hi guys.

I'm new to the forum and thought I would introduce myself.

I have a 1977 280SE in Cayenne Orange with black MB Tex interior. I have owned the car for about 3 months. I'm new to Benz ownership but not new to classic cars (currently have 2 other projects on the go).

The car was a bit rough when I acquired it. It had been sitting for a years. So in the few months of ownership I mostly focused on mechanical issues to get it road worthy so we could drive it daily. New brakes, new accumulators, 1 used hydro-pneumatic shock, second hand camshafts and new lifter, steering components, central locking now 99% operational and other various bits and pieces.

There is still a little way to go like new carpets and new vinyl front seat covers as well as seat cushion and adjuster repairs.

So I will probably be on here a bit looking for parts to restore the 116 back to its former glory ;D Its a fantastic drivers car and yep, we are cruising around in it daily at the moment.

***Currently looking for a passanger side front power window regulator if anyone has one available please***

Cheers

Eric

ptashek

Welcome to the asylum Eric ;)
So your 280SE has hydro in the back? That's a rare beast.

Looks like you know what you're up to, so you'll be perfectly at home here. The combined knowledge and experience in looking after these old girls the folks here have is both scary, and indispensable. The more the merrier.
1993 "Pearl Blue" W124 280TE
1988 "Arctic White" W124 200T
1979 "Icon Gold" W116 450SE

mrkozzy

Welcome Eric.

I.m not far away (relatively), I'm in Melbourne.

Let me know if you're stuck trying to source any particular parts.

Theres a couple of good w116 part suppliers nearby.

I can always pass on the details.  I know for a fact they ship to Tassie
MrKozzy

cayenne116

Thanks guys.

Yea hydro in the back. It was a bit of a drama getting it to work properly, more so when it had been sitting for many years and had ATF in the system. Full flush and new parts has sorted it out. Im glad I did though becaust now it just glides along the road.

I have sorced a few parts from Melbourne along the way and everyone has been friendly and fantastic so far.

Some details would be great thanks MrKozzy. Great supliers can be hard to find.
Im restoring a 1986 SAAB 900 Turbo Aero and a project Volvo 240 turbo so I have spend some time chasing parts around the country for those 2 swedes.

floyd111

In real life, you'll have to ship things in from abroad eventually,  it's just a matter of time. For those cases I would suggest you run a search on the .org's front page for "sourcing parts" and "stealerships". It's a nice thing to know what's out there when you're kind-of alone. . You'll also find threads about how to work ebay in order to get better and more results.