News:

The ORG - Truly Independent and Unbiased!

Main Menu

New W116 book

Started by bskoehling, 17 April 2019, 11:47 AM

bskoehling

Hi everyone,

my name is Bernd, I'm a German and I am new here. The last time I have owned a W116 is now over twenty years ago. But this 450SE made at that time such a lasting impression on me that I have decided to write a book about W116 cars. It's not my first book about Mercedes cars, I have written around twenty so far, but it is my latest and has just been uploaded to Amazon.

In case you are interested, who this funny guy Bernd is, here is a link to my books on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=mercedes+koehling&crid=2288N83610PAQ&sprefix=mercedes+ko%2Caps%2C219&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_11

Or you just type   Mercedes Koehling   into the Amazon search bar.

There are not too many books about the W116 around, so if you allow me, I paste here the topics that I have tried to cover:

Developing the W116
The technical aspects
-The 3.5-litre V8 engine
-The suspension
The W116
The 450SE/SEL
The 450SEL 6.9
The 300SD
Updates and improvements
Special protection cars
The last W116
The experimental safety vehicles ESV
The introduction of ABS
The tuning scene
The coachbuilders
-Crayford
-Pollmann and Rappold
-Other conversions
Mercedes 450SE versus Cadillac Seville I

Technical chapters
The W116 VIN explained
The W116 data card explained
W116 buyers guide
Other issues to look out for
-Body
-Engines
-Suspension, steering, brakes, exhaust
-Interior
Which W116 to buy
W116 price development Feb. 2011 to Feb. 2019
Technical specifications
-General data
-Engines
-Performance data
-Transmission etc.
Power and torque curves
Rpm versus speed charts
The paint options
The upholstery choices
Production figures
W116 option codes

I hope that I haven't bored you too much with this. If you are interested, here is the link to the book on the Amazon US site. It's available under the same title in all other countries on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/MERCEDES-BENZ-1970s-W116-450SEL-Tuners/dp/1092819223/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=mercedes+W116&qid=1555518107&s=books&sr=1-1

Or just look for Mercedes W116 under books.

Now of course I have to mention one last thing: should you find this message inappropriate for the W116.org site, I would like to apologize to you, but there are very few options for a small volume author like me to make his books otherwise known. And I thought that some of you might be interested in a book about the W116. It's available as soft-cover and e-book.

Many thanks and Happy Eastern to all of you,

Bernd

Jed

Bernd,
Thanks for sharing.  I just ordered a copy and look forward to reading it.  Your right, there is not much published on the W116 and I hope your book does well!

regards
Jed
1979 Mercedes 6.9 #5206 - restored
1979 Mercedes 6.9 #6424 - ongoing restoration
1976 Mercedes 6.9 #484 - restoration?

MyNameIsDaniel

Moin Bernd,

gibt es das Buch auch in deutsch bzw wird es in deutscher Sprache erscheinen ?

PS : Hab mir mal gerade die Kindle-Edition gekauft  8)
with best regards, Daniel

goldacre

;) hi mynameisdaniel, just had a crack at using Google translator  8) I think it worked...

QuoteMoin Bernd,
Is the book also available in German or will it be published in German?
PS: I've just bought the Kindle Edition

G
12/1979 450 SEL 148K on clock (museum piece)
12/1986 Lotus Esprit Turbo 87K on clock 'Darling, look what Q has brought for us, isn't it nice' :)

bskoehling

Quote from: goldacre on 18 April 2019, 04:39 AM
;) hi mynameisdaniel, just had a crack at using Google translator  8) I think it worked...

QuoteMoin Bernd,
Is the book also available in German or will it be published in German?
PS: I've just bought the Kindle Edition

G
Moin Daniel,

ich schreibe meine Bücher auf englisch, um eine größere Leserschaft anzusprechen. Ein anderer Grund war, dass es zu vielen Autos, über die ich geschrieben habe, schon sehr viel in deutsch, aber nicht zuviel in englisch vorhanden war

I write my books in English to reach a larger audience. Another reason is, that for many cars I have covered in my books, there are already quite a few German books available, but not so many in English.

Bernd

bskoehling

Quote from: Jed on 17 April 2019, 08:35 PM
Bernd,
Thanks for sharing.  I just ordered a copy and look forward to reading it.  Your right, there is not much published on the W116 and I hope your book does well!

regards
Jed

Thanks, Jed. I hope, you'll like reading it

floyd111

Good luck with your book! :)

Is there another way to obtain it that does not make me an an active partner to speeding up the end of the world by paying Bezos?

Pete49

Just purchased the e-book version. nice info so far. Thanks for writing it and making it available in both formats.
Pete
What this country needs are more unemployed politicians.
Edward Langley,  Artist (1928-1995)

bskoehling

Quote from: floyd111 on 18 April 2019, 11:00 PM
Good luck with your book! :)

Is there another way to obtain it that does not make me an an active partner to speeding up the end of the world by paying Bezos?
Hahaha, I know, what you mean. Unfortunately, this is the only way to get the book

floyd111

I would think it's also a good thing for yourself to have a second platform for selling your book. I will patiently wait for that day.

tcj

ISBN is 978-1092819220
With this number every bookshop in the world should be able to get this book.

regards,
Thomas

Balfour

Thanks for posting here Bernd, copy ordered!

Are you happy for me to post this on another Mercedes forum?

bskoehling

Hi Balfour,

many thanks and I hope, you'll like it. Yes, absolutely, please feel free to copy it to another Mercedes forum site.

Balfour

Quote from: bskoehling on 22 April 2019, 09:59 AM
Hi Balfour,

many thanks and I hope, you'll like it. Yes, absolutely, please feel free to copy it to another Mercedes forum site.

Posted on the Mercedes-Benz UK Club forum. A few of the guys are on here also.

Best of luck with sales.

avantbenz

Hey, looks good! I just added it to my Amazon list and whenever I have some extra funds I'll check it out. Right now any spare pennies are going into getting my car into decent shape. Thanks for the info and best of luck in selling.
Daily Driving 'Patience' ~ 1980 300SD