News:

www.W116.org - All about the Car!

Main Menu

New TOY!

Started by 116Benz, 20 June 2007, 08:13 AM

116Benz

I took pitty on this old girl, saw it in the classifieds, thinking it was a daggy old bargain I rang the owner, asked a few questions, haggled on the price, got a realistic price for transporting it from Bundaberg to Warwick....got a phone call at 7:30am this morning saying there was an old Merc being delivered to their place and did I know anything about it? WHOPS forgot to tell the parents that they were getting a delivery...never mind its all done now...Their verdict? Father drove it up the drive and proceeded to walk around it saying how good it was, the Mother unit fell maddly in love with it untill it decided it was going no further and blocked the driveway (small hitch there...it did get moved again under its own power, just very low on fuel). And yes the star was on the passenger seat along with a fat wad of recipts for work done on the car since about 1982, and a 2 dollar coin.

Theres a few fix it things that need to be done, like tie rods, some paint and some rusty looking spots that need doing (there isnt a huge amount of rust in it at all, the front firewall under the pedals looks pretty clear and clean) the interior has copped the usual sun abuse, other than that...the whole project sans trucking fees was under $600. A far cry from a 450SE that had some of the interior in pieces, and had missing power window motors (that was the deal killer, the seller couldnt find them hence a refund) and the more I investigated it, the more sus it sounded even though getting the all clear from a mechanic engine/ box wise. Give it time and I think I'll have a rather sound cruiser-mobile!

The only downer of the day was having to put our 7 yr old Cattle dog to sleep, poor bugger had been suffering from cancer, he approved of the car though..piddled on all 4 wheels before he went to the vet.

Cheers ALL!

Grant V

Quote from: 116Benz on 20 June 2007, 08:13 AM

..piddled on all 4 wheels before he went to the vet.

Sorry to hear about your dog, but what an approval!
Congrats and here's wishing you 1000's of km of pleasure
"You've bought another bloody car?!? We should have you committed!" he shrieked, storming out of the room

nathan

116er,
hear hear, sorry about the dog...always painful to lose a pet, more so than family half the time!

thats a nice looking zircon bluey, congrats...

it reminds me of the other post about what i hate about 116s though, the bloody centre console warping away from the top attachment below the central airvents...i had to come up with a complicated bracket system to resolve this...

anyhow, enjoy bluey!
nathan
PS when do we get a family shop?
1979 116 6.9 #6436
2018 213 e63
2011 212 e63
2011 463 g55
2007 211 e500 wagen
1995 124 e320 cabriolet
1983 460 300gd
1981 123 280te

116Benz

Quote from: nathan on 20 June 2007, 08:27 AM
116er,
hear hear, sorry about the dog...always painful to lose a pet, more so than family half the time!

thats a nice looking zircon bluey, congrats...

it reminds me of the other post about what i hate about 116s though, the bloody centre console warping away from the top attachment below the central airvents...i had to come up with a complicated bracket system to resolve this...

anyhow, enjoy bluey!
nathan
PS when do we get a family shop?

Yeah the family pet thing has hit dad the most (he rescued him from being shot by a farmer, since that day the dog rarely left his side),
family shot? that may happen...eventually...
From my research the colour is Grey Blue metalic (906)...dont mind the colour tho

Thanks for the well wishes too..

OzBenzHead

Condolences re the dog, and congrats on joining (re-joining?) the 280SE club! 
[img width=340 height=138][url="http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a215/OzBenzHead/10%20M-B%20Miscellany/OBH_LOGO-2a-1.png"]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a215/OzBenzHead/10%20M-B%20Miscellany/OBH_LOGO-2a-1.png[/url][/img]

116Benz

Thanks OZ,
The last 116 I had was a 73/74 450SEL, 5 years ago thereabouts. Loved it, alot!

116Benz

Styria,
I was looking at that and thought it was from the stereo install that it's done that, I'm planning to change the a/c controls from the black plastic to zebrano trim, barring it being butchered behind the panel it looks easy to install.

Thanks BC,
If theres going to be anymore 116's being delivered, its because the mother unit has had an epiphany and decided to dispense with the services of her 2 yr old Camry (I'm all for it, infact I'm listing it for sale on eBay as we speak) and decided to request permission from her spouse to get one of her own, thing is the proposed owner doesn't want a 6 cylinder...makes the mind boggle what she prefers...

We've had a pretty crap year with pets, this is the 2nd cattle dog (mine passed away at the ripe old age of 14 from a stroke) and the parents lost their cockateil in March....I wonder if they want goldfish next time around.

I've allready started the WISH and NEED list for the car...A new bonnet mat is on the NEED...whatever is left of it sheds like a sheepdog everytime I open the bonnet.

gregdeklerk

Yes, congrats on the new car.