News:

The ORG - No shonky business!

Main Menu

New member checking in - found a nice 300SD, photos inside

Started by Ilike300sd, 21 September 2011, 06:33 AM

Ilike300sd

What the heck?  I just put like 4 posts on here with detailed instructions on 4 different ways to make a manual idle adjustment knob on a 1980 SD.  I had pictures and all.  It took me like 45 minutes to make those and now they have been deleted?  What is the point of this forum if we can't help each other with our cars?  Are DIYs forbidden or suomething?  Unbelievable.  What the #%$! ???

Mforcer

Michael
1977 450SE [Brilliant Red]
2006 B200

jbrasile

Casey,

Being pro active and doing preventive maintenance is no doubt very important to keep our cars in tip top condition and have them last almost a lifetime, especially diesels. Having said that Jon helps me make my point regarding the valve seals and turbo rebuild, if your car doesn't show any signs of excessive blue smoke and your turbo is performing well I would leave it alone. It could be psychological, but I just don't feel comfortable doing major work on a factory original engine unless it is absolutely necessary. 300SD  turbos  due to the low rpm nature of diesel engines and lower exhaust temps tend to last almost indefinitely. I always use my sister's car as a good example of what to expect, 315k miles, original engine, original turbo, original tranny. Oil changes as per the manual using Castrol GTX 20W50.

I can still delete the valve seal kit from your current order if you wish to cancel it.

Idle for you car should be 700-800 rpm in N or P as per the Service Manual Library

Tks,

Joe