News:

www.W116.org - All about the Car!

Main Menu

New Member 450 SE

Started by JHead, 31 December 2022, 06:52 PM

JHead

Hi All,
I would like to introduce myself and my 1973 450SE. I just moved back to Tennessee after 14 years in Melbourne Australia - I've noticed a ton of Australians here. I needed to buy a car and with the used car market what it is right now I decided to buy vintage instead. I've always loved the design of the w116s but didn't know much about them. This has been my daily since September after I swapped the transmission out with some great advice from the forum, so thanks again. It has issues, the first owner lived in Michigan so there's a little rust. I'm in the process of finding a new exhaust system. The body has some imperfections etc but it runs great and is a pleasure to drive. Look forward to chatting with you all and learning more.
1973 450SE

daantjie

Welcome 8)   don't see many in that coulour, nice find!
Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber

gurrier

Welcome-likewise with the colour.

Never thought to ask before but wonder why the step on the wood trim was dispensed with early in production.

1973 350SE

goldacre

Welcome to the W116.org club JHead; I found these W116.org dudes back in 2007 and the wealth of knowledge, and the civil conversations are in my own honest opinion leaves many motor forums for dead, its a cool place to hang out and learn  8)

Nice Motor you have there, and that blue is soooooooo beautiful 1970s for sure  :-*

Melbourne is my favourite city and I travel a fair bit. Considering how much Australia needs overseas people to fill the jobs we offer I always wondered why people from the USA did not take up the opportunities we can offer, hope your long sojourn was a good one and would love to know what line of work you are in....

G
12/1979 450 SEL 148K on clock (museum piece)
12/1986 Lotus Esprit Turbo 87K on clock 'Darling, look what Q has brought for us, isn't it nice' :)

JHead

Thanks Everyone,
Yes I love the blue too, it looks almost white in certain light as well.

Goldacre- Melbourne is also my favorite city - just got a bit home sick I couldn't stay forever. And to answer your last question I'm an architect.
1973 450SE

adamb

Quote from: gurrier on 01 January 2023, 03:26 AMWelcome-likewise with the colour.

Never thought to ask before but wonder why the step on the wood trim was dispensed with early in production.

Early ones didn't have wood console. I used to have a 1973 280SE and it looked the same but with cloth seats and no aircon.

And, yes, the colour is great, I totally agree.

nathan

and it still had the Becker radio in it, thumbs up indeed!
good luck with the project and we all look forward to following it.
regards
Nathan
PS isn't michigan a snowy state and would be salted?
1979 116 6.9 #6436
2018 213 e63
2011 212 e63
2011 463 g55
2007 211 e500 wagen
1995 124 e320 cabriolet
1983 460 300gd
1981 123 280te

gurrier

Quote from: adamb on 04 January 2023, 05:56 PM
Quote from: gurrier on 01 January 2023, 03:26 AMWelcome-likewise with the colour.

Early ones didn't have wood console. I used to have a 1973 280SE and it looked the same but with cloth seats and no aircon.

And, yes, the colour is great, I totally agree.

Agreed - mine does not have the wooden console around the gearshhift either.  If you look closely at the wood trim on the dash there is a step about half way down which was discontinued at some stage of production.  Anorak territory I know but of interest.
1973 350SE

JHead

Quote from: nathan on 05 January 2023, 04:28 AMand it still had the Becker radio in it, thumbs up indeed!
good luck with the project and we all look forward to following it.
regards
Nathan
PS isn't michigan a snowy state and would be salted?

Thanks, I have just bought an after market antenna & motor that I need to install to get it working properly again . I tried cleaning the old motor up and replaced the antenna but still no luck.

And yeah I mentioned Michigan because of the salt causing some rust. You can see parts of the bottom of the body that the rust has eaten away.
1973 450SE