News:

The ORG - Truly Independent and Unbiased!

Main Menu

New Guy

Started by Markz116, 13 January 2008, 12:37 PM

Markz116

Hello. My name is Mark, and I am 13 years old (turning 14 this Thursday) I am currently trying to get into an automotive high school in my area, which requires students in the automotive program to have a car to work on. For years, my uncle has had his [1976?] US-spec Mercedes-Benz 450 SE sitting in his garage, almost never driven since they day he bought it about 10 years back from a friend. It is in good condition overall, but the exterior [Brilliant Red?] paint and interior need some work. Rust has formed in its usual places where it would for the average 30-year old car, and the leather is cracked and torn in some places. I have heard, however, that it starts and runs like new, if not a bit leaky, and the gas mileage is dismal as "normal".

My question is.. How much would the average worn and torn 450 SE cost? My uncle is planning to move to Florida and retire there, and I have yet to ask him what he will do with the car, but my aunt has told me they are planning to sell it. I'm not sure if they know how high the value of this car really is regardless of its condition and age, but what would be a ballpark estimate for a '76 W116 with a bit of rust, scratches, and interior blemishes?

Anyways, I'm very happy to have found this forum. Some other stuff about me..

My current car [no, I don't actually have my license] is a 1990 Infiniti M30. For those of you who haven't heard of this car ever, I'm not surprised, as it's the rarest Infiniti ever produced (about 5000 between 1990 and 1992, when production ceased). It's pretty beat on the outside; it lived the city life with my other aunt until 2004 when I acquired it, and it has been vandalized many, MANY times over the years. There are scratches everywhere on this car, and the most painful one to look at is the deep, swirling 3-foot dug-in trench on the trunk lid. The interior is in pretty good shape aside from the front seat leather which is gradually starting to deteriorate, but overall, the car is just beautiful. It's a rare sight and although not many people have even heard of the M30, I feel proud when I say I own one.

Thanks in advance, hope to get some help.

Mark

Markz116

I think he likes me :)

Oh and I'm in New Jersey, USA. About 7 years ago they gave us their old rustbucket 1990 Toyota Camry because they had to get rid of it, but this Mercedes they're already planning to sell. I'm hoping he'll speak up and consider "donating" it to me for my ever-so-important advanced educational automotive high school learning facility haha.

If it's around $1,000 then I might be able to manage if they do decide to go on selling it for cash.

I've always loved Mercedes-Benz, especially the older ones. Actually, the vintage Mercedes and Porsches are my favorites. My favorite Benz is the W116 obviously, and Porsche the 356. But I'm mostly a Nissanfreak if you ask me ::)

And no sorry, I don't have pictures. I'll try to find some from the gallery that look similar to my uncle's 450 though, so hang in there.

Markz116

Yup :)

Headlights, bumpers, sunroof, stuff like that.

And here's one pic:

That's how dusty it was after sitting in the same spot in the same garage for almost 10 years. Can't find any other similar pictures though.

I know there was a lot of bubbling paint around the fenders and it was pretty beat up with minuscule hairline scratches littered all over the body..

Markz116

Ah yes I forgot to mention that.

My M30 is a bit rusty on the undercarriage, as yes, roads do get heavily salted in the winter here. If I recall correctly the undercarriage and rocker panels of the Benz were rusted pretty bad, but not that bad.

I only really got a view of the right side and rear of the car, but on the rear-right quarter panel there was a spot similar to this:

:-\

My memory of the exact condition of the Benz's body is rather vague, so I apologize :)

Andrew280SEL

Wow, welcome to the forum!  ;)

You are indeed the youngest here now. :)

Good luck with your venture.

I agree with Michel though, these days you wouldn't really be expected to pay US$1000 for a W116 that's been sitting and has rust spots and blemishes. When do you think you'll be able to view the car again?
'79 280SEL- 560,000 Kms
'73 350SE- getting an AMG facelift
'79 450SEL 6.9

Markz116

Thanks for the welcome.

Um.. Well I'm not sure when the next time is I'll be able to see the car, but the last time I saw it was December 22, 2007, when I went to their house for a party. At that time it was backed out of the garage and in the driveway. Two weeks prior I had seen it in the driveway in the same spot and it had snowed heavily since then, so that may have been the first time in 10 years it had ever been touched by nature.

Who was the youngest before me? ;D

Andrew280SEL

Quote from: Markz116 on 13 January 2008, 03:23 PM

Who was the youngest before me? ;D

Me! ;D

I'm 17 at the moment, 18 in March.
'79 280SEL- 560,000 Kms
'73 350SE- getting an AMG facelift
'79 450SEL 6.9

Markz116

Hehe I beat you ;D

I'm the youngest on F31CLUB as well, the Infiniti M30/Nissan Leopard forum.

Oh and I have another question.. About what does a 450SE get in terms of gas mileage? And how big is the tank? :D

I know Mercedes-Benz for their reliability but just to be safe, what repairs might a possible future W116 owner need to look out for?

13B

If you can get 13mpg city then thats about right.  I've heard them get as high as 18mpg highway driving and I can confirm that my 116 goes much further at highway speed per tank than stop-start city driving.
450SEL 6.9 #5440 = V MB 690 , 450SE # 43094 = 02010 H , 190E/turbo # 31548 = AOH 68K

Markz116

Ouch. A 25-gallon tank paired with 2+ dollars at the pump and around 14 MPG?

Not so easy for a student :o

oscar

Hi and welcome Mark

Re the value, your best bet is to check out ebay and see what compares to it.  http://motors.listings.ebay.com/Mercedes-Benz_400-Series_W0QQfclZ3QQfromZR11QQsacatZ6331QQsocmdZListingItemList

By the looks of it at the moment, the cars listed are in good condition with price tags to suit but keep an eye out for the ones being "disposed of" so to speak.  In Aus, they appear regularly and I think generally sell for less than in the US but they can be complete but no longer wanted and sell for less than $1000US.

Quote from: Markz116 on 13 January 2008, 03:12 PM
If I recall correctly the undercarriage and rocker panels of the Benz were rusted pretty bad, but not that bad.

If your engine and trans are good, that's great.   I get the impression though, the rust you see is only part of the extent and is going to be a major cost, or looking at it another way, a major bargaining chip.  Not sure what NJ DMV laws are like but where I am, it'd have to be repaired before I could get a roadworthy certificate.  Have a real good look next time you see it.  Wheel wells, foot wells, rocker panels, jacking points and underside of doors.  Press the areas with the handle of a screwdriver and listen for crunch.
1973 350SE, my first & fave

13B

QuoteOuch. A 25-gallon tank paired with 2+ dollars at the pump and around 14 MPG?

Not so easy for a student 

The original buyers of these cars were not your typical middle-income wage earners.

Also bear in mind that practically all 1970s V8 engine cars (whether from US, Europe, or Australia) will return similarly low milage.  It was just what you expected if you were buying one of these.
450SEL 6.9 #5440 = V MB 690 , 450SE # 43094 = 02010 H , 190E/turbo # 31548 = AOH 68K

Markz116

Oh well yes, if you have the money to buy an expensive luxury car you don't care how much the gas is gonna cost :D

I am aware of what the cost of running this car would be should I obtain possession of it though. I can already see my first gas recipt haha.

And thanks for the suggestion, oscar. I think I'll start scanning eBay right about now :)

116Benz

Hi Mark,

Welcome to the forum, the M30 was the 1st Infiniti available in drop top form as well.

Sounds like the 450 your talking about would be a great learner project for you, have the uncle & aunt dropped any hints on what they would want for the car? Would love to see photos of it, 450SE's arent that common.

Markz116

You know a little about the M30?

First and only convertible Infiniti so far :)

And if you've read the Infiniti M30 Wikipedia page, I helped to compose a few bits and pieces of it as welll.

I'll try to snap some pics the next time I'm at my uncle's.. But as of now I'm not exactly sure when the next time is I'll be at his house.