News:

The ORG - Truly Independent and Unbiased!

Main Menu

New Guy

Started by Markz116, 13 January 2008, 12:37 PM

koan

Have a look at your countries ebay to get some idea of the going price for cars in a similar state, print a few off for your uncle's viewing when you start negotiating.

Edit: Sorry oscar, I see you have already suggested that.

koan
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

13B

Bugger that... the relos will either think its a good work hack for the kid or not...

I would approach this by just blatantly saying to them "I'm going to mechanics college, I need something like your old merc to work on.  It would save me looking around for another one.  Let me know if you want to sell it for my good cause."

If they have any sense at all they should give it to you for a song.  If they have a pie-in-the-sky dream of one day doing a full restoration themselves for their twilight years then so be it.  We know it won't happen, its already sat for a decade...
450SEL 6.9 #5440 = V MB 690 , 450SE # 43094 = 02010 H , 190E/turbo # 31548 = AOH 68K

116Benz

Quote from: 13B on 14 January 2008, 03:17 AM
Bugger that... the relos will either think its a good work hack for the kid or not...

I would approach this by just blatantly saying to them "I'm going to mechanics college, I need something like your old merc to work on.  It would save me looking around for another one.  Let me know if you want to sell it for my good cause."

If they have any sense at all they should give it to you for a song.  If they have a pie-in-the-sky dream of one day doing a full restoration themselves for their twilight years then so be it.  We know it won't happen, its already sat for a decade...

Also go for the birthday thing too, "would make a great birthday present, besides it's going to a good home"  :D

Grant V

Quote from: 13B on 14 January 2008, 03:17 AM
Bugger that...

Now now Ian - language. Remember there are youngsters about.

Welcome to the site, Mark and it's great to see 'the wayward youth' are not so wayward after all. You're clearly an upstanding young man with exceptional taste.  ;D
"You've bought another bloody car?!? We should have you committed!" he shrieked, storming out of the room

nathan

give us your uncles email address and we shall start a 'give it to the young'un' campaign
1979 116 6.9 #6436
2018 213 e63
2011 212 e63
2011 463 g55
2007 211 e500 wagen
1995 124 e320 cabriolet
1983 460 300gd
1981 123 280te

Markz116

Well I found a W116 in my area, currently residing in a driveway down the street from my school actually, and within walking or biking distance.

Black [300 D?] I've been seeing since the day I moved to this town seven years ago, but until recently I never cared to pay much attention to it. I'm not sure of the exact model, but from my fuzzy vision I saw a D and the TURBO DIESEL badge on the right side of the trunk, so must have been a 300D. Don't know why I never paid mind to this W116 before, I pass it every day at least twice (going to and from school).

Markz116

Sorry, meant that. 300SD.

Markz116

Does anybody know where I can check out some videos of W116s in action? YouTube has a few, including one or two from a guy taking his around a track, but that's about it. I've never actually ridden in one of these cars so it'd be nice to see what driving one would be like.

oscar

Quote from: Markz116 on 17 January 2008, 05:54 PM
including one or two from a guy taking his around a track,

and he's not that real good either is he :D :D

Just kidding Cam. :D  The track vids are SELfor50's doing the hillclimb track in Canberra Aus.  We're all keen to see Cam transform this car.  He's having a ball and I'm just a bit jealous I can't do the same.

Youtube's got the bulk of the vids.  Google vids have a couple of different ones but most are copies of youtube vids. Search for "w116" which will bring most of them up.  MB350 is me, I got a couple of vids on there.  Search also for specific models, but specificially "M100" for 6.9's.  There's a few in car vids.
1973 350SE, my first & fave

13B

This one pretty much captures the sound and experience of the car:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UDEIeXxB_w

And this one is pretty good also:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zj6VlljVrb0

I.
450SEL 6.9 #5440 = V MB 690 , 450SE # 43094 = 02010 H , 190E/turbo # 31548 = AOH 68K

Markz116

Haha I've seen that second vid, that's how I found this site :D

What a coincidence.. This car, like my uncle's, is also a Brilliant Red 1976 450SE  ;D

Mforcer

Hey Mark. Great to read about another Brilliant Red 450SE! Pics of my Brilliant Red 450SE can be found in the gallery :)
Michael
1977 450SE [Brilliant Red]
2006 B200

Markz116

Well.

Right now it's exactly 6 AM over here and it's snowing like hell. Ice everywhere, even the mighty Subaru with AWD and 5 TONS of sheer weight could not get out of the driveway :)

Anyways I can't get back to sleep.

So I thought I'd let you know that yesterday I received a letter from that automotive academy and..

I'm accepted!

116Benz

Congratulations!!! Thats excellent news. Some of us however will say that we told you so!  ;D Now that thats out of the way...wheres that 450 that needs your love?

Markz116

Thanks man!

And in regards to the Benz, I have yet to consult my uncle about it. Now that I at least have proof of acceptance he won't have a reason not to "lend" it to me :)

I'll probably be seeing him at a party later this month I think.

I see it now.. I arrive there the first day, boast a bit about how I own an M30 and nobody else does haha. But I'm so excited. Nothing right now could make me any happier. At school I'll be working in a garage almost the whole time, so what better to be practicing on than that 450 SE in need of some work? :D

Can't wait to see if I can get my hands on it.. And if not, I'll go on a crazy stomping rampage around New Jersey looking for one!