News:

www.W116.org - By the people, for the people!

Main Menu

New 6.9 purchase

Started by motec6.9, 15 April 2014, 07:06 AM

motec6.9

Now just waiting for steering wheel .Booked car in to have air conditioner fixed today fitting klima kit with new style compressor and evap. Then to fix cruise control. Torque Fabrications have spare intake manifold to make adaptor for larger throttle body once made will fit larger throttle body to car. Will let you know price off adaptor and throttle body if there is any interest. Geoff 
Euro 6.9 255.6hp at the wheels. Watch this space.

nathan

im a bit late to this party it seems! i was just going to say congrats on the car, and just enjoy it as it was intended. but too late it seems! i would have thought fix all the simple bits and enjoy it a while before you go crazy on it! the milan brown is a spectacular car colour!
1979 116 6.9 #6436
2018 213 e63
2011 212 e63
2011 463 g55
2007 211 e500 wagen
1995 124 e320 cabriolet
1983 460 300gd
1981 123 280te

motec6.9

Hi Nathan not really i have learned my leason from my last car. Nothing will be done to this car that cannot be reversed or is not period correct. Issues requiring attension are air conditioning not working,cruise control not working fix those first.  Then attend to paint and seals as the car has almost no rust i intend to fix before it can become a problem.  Velour is in great condition  :)

powerglide

My 350SE was Milan Brown with cafe au lait velour.  The velour is surprisingly robust, but it can wear where the driver's seat belt rubs the side of the squab door side. This is the stripey bit.   Keep a lookout for another velour car being parted out and grab the whole velour interior, my advice.  MB looks great when polished - like burnished bronze in the sun - especially if you keep those bundt cakes clean and bright.  If dirty, try sponging the velour with just clean, warm water and a piece of old towelling well washed - you dont really need chemicals, but if stains won't move, use a velour FOAM cleaner sparingly (the foam works well on the carpet, too). You'll be surprised how well 2 tons+ of car goes around corners - even braking in the apex - you see, it's the unique suspension that does it. Enjoy!

PG
Powerglide

motec6.9

Hi just an update still waiting on steering wheel to arrive. Dropped of Penta's at Wheel Gleam Osbourne park today outer rims being machined and polished centres being painted in MB404 cost $160 a Rim. Business advised by another forum member who had them do his Penta's. Will add photos when I pick them up. went and saw Darren at Rowe & Sons again today looking at late August for repaint. Geoff  :)

motec6.9

Hi guys itolvolanti steering wheel turned up today

nathan

Hi Geoff,
you are going hell for leather! Simon at wheel gleam is a nice guy. dad put a 1 inch scratch on my 15 inch bundt so i took it to him for repair. unfortunately the colour i got back was greyer than silver so i had to use my mint spare alloy on the car and put this one in the boot.
rowe and sons do an excellent job so the car is in good hands. nice milan brown will look the part.
the steering wheel though i have to close my eyes when i look at, being part of the originality police. an unfortunate but of kit.  I recall Bill had his AMG wheel but took it off as it obstructed his instrument cluster view.
I'm sure many would argue with me (i.e. the old US bumper debate!).
will be good to get your aircon going, make sure they don't bugger up any of your trim if they are working under the dash!
regards
nathan
1979 116 6.9 #6436
2018 213 e63
2011 212 e63
2011 463 g55
2007 211 e500 wagen
1995 124 e320 cabriolet
1983 460 300gd
1981 123 280te

motec6.9

Hi Nathan as i said have put aside the money to do the car up if you want we can have Perth  get together before painting . I know what i want this time and are doing due diligence to make sure it is done dorrect and rite first time. Any mod will be reversible and period correct for the car.  Becker to be upgraded using original  speaker locations and deck. Geoff  :)

WGB

Nathan is right about the small rimmed wheel.

I might add the wooden bits on my E500 hundered wheel get very hot when left parked in the west Australian sun so make sure you have a cover.

I love my little AMG leather rimmed wheel it is much more tactile and enables me to get into and out of the car more easily but usually only put it on for show as I can only see the speedo up to 60km/hr  and can't see the tacho at all.

At least the wheel is dead easy to change back and forwards so long as you get the wheels straight ahead the first time.

Bill

robertd

that's the idea, get them started young, they become better drivers as adults
116   1978 450SEL 6.9 #  4848
116   1979 450SEL  6.9 # 5884
116   1979 450SEL  6.9 # 6225  SOLD
116   1978 450SEL  6.9 # 5128  SOLD
116   1979 450SEL  6.9 # 5884  SOLD
116   1974 450SEL  DJet

WGB

Sure Robert and don't start them on that underpowered 4 cylinder stuff - start right up with a decent sized V8.

works for me. :D
Bill;

motec6.9

Ok just an update i have been out to Torque Fabrications with my spare intake. They are making an adaptor to fit a 90 mm ls throttlebody to the factory intake. The intake will be machined out to 90 mm the factory bolt holes are 105 mm apart the adaptor will bolt in the factory bolt holes then have wider spacing holes for the ls throttlebody. This will fix the small throttle size problem with airflow the m100 suffers from. This is being done with regards still using Bosch k jet. Now Mark this will be of interest to you i have asked for 5 adaptors to be made will work out cost then onsell i will not mark up as i just want to help those who have an interest. Also i have scored a win car is booked in for dyno on the 23rd so i will post horsepower off standard euro 6.9 at wheels. The reason is i have convince Gennie Exhaust to make extractors and exhaust for my 6.9 starting on the 26th the car will then be dyno after extractors and exhaust is fitted. They will keep templates if there is interest and i will addvise on cost. Geoff ps can anyone spot the difference with my instruments

motec6.9

Hi Bill i have the wheel i may just put it on for show like you have not yet decided. I just found standard wheels in Germany retrimed in leather with sports grip added. And very cool photo by the way  :)

gavin116

Hi Motec

Strange, metric oil pressure, but imperial temperature gauge.

:o

P.S. Perhaps I have misunderstood?  Would that 90mm port not be the constriction in your new air flow scheme?  Do you not need to enlarge it, or is the constriction in the system only the air flow meter itself?  Are you going to do a W126 double snorkel conversion to your air cleaner (does mean you have to move the battery to the boot)?
1979 450SE "Mrs White"
2022 Touareg-R 3.0TSi Hybrid
[url="http://forum.w116.org/test-drive/my-first-w116-here-at-last/"]http://forum.w116.org/test-drive/my-first-w116-here-at-last/[/url]
[url="http://forum.w116.org/the-org/british-near-london-meet/msg97613/#msg97613"]http://forum.w116.org/the-org/british-near-london-meet/msg97613/#msg97613[/url]

motec6.9

Hi Gavin the standard throttle body is 75mm . The opening will be machined out to 90mm so there is no restriction for the 90mm throttle body. That is why adaptor is being made. Yes I will use twin snorkel air cleaner when I find one. After doing Motec 6.9 dyno showed restriction and limiter was throttle body. Hope this helps will post before and after dyno report on extractors and exhaust.Geoff :)