News:

Please add your location to your profile. It will help others to help you!

Main Menu

New 1980 300sd... what have I gotten into?

Started by Rube, 22 April 2018, 06:15 PM

Rube

Am in the process of buying a 300sd which has sat for quite some time. It seems to be largely rust free (so far) and will even start and idle around the yard. Planning to replace all hoses, belts, glow plugs, shocks, and steering stabilizer in addition to changing all fluids. What else do I need to look for in these cars that I've forgotten. I'm obviously new here but super excited.

Known issues:
1. Driver window goes down but not up. Is rockauto ok for power regulators?
2. Rear door only opens from inside handle not the outside handle
3. Getting some water into the front passenger floorboard beneath the rubber insert. This usually from clogged drip rails or hood drains?
4. Fuel door holds water at the inferior portion. How do I unclog this? Where does it drain to?
5. Low speed under tension clunk from the rear I'm thinking may be a rear stabilizer link.

I look forward to learning and interacting with you all in the future. 

Diesel 617

Hey, welcome to the forums!

1. Remove the regulator from the door: and regrease with white lithium grease. May need to unbend if skipping gear teeth.
2.  [url=https://forum.w116.org/interiors-and-exteriors/w116-interior-door-panel-removal/msg50081/#msg50081]Remove door panel
and asses door handle is connected to lock. If connected properly (view other door for comparison), look for anew handle (PM me if so)
3. Examine your  front windshield seal (hold a hose to the corners to see if water enters).
4. There is a drain hole that leads to a tube that spit out under the car remove the r. side carpet in trunk to follow the drain tube.
5. Do a full examination of the rear, examine the flex disc between the axle and the differential mount. Especially if car drops the rear end while shifting into drive.
X3 1980 300SD Blown Heads, trans -Retired
1980 450SEL Parted out/Scrap
1980 450SEL to Diesel Parted Out/Scrap
1979 280SE Euro Spec Cloth Seats Sold
1979 300CD Daily Driver - Sold

Inventory of w116 Parts
[url="https://www.ebay.com/usr/vintagepartsandstuff"]https://www.ebay.com/usr/vintagepartsandstuff[/url]

Rube

Thanks for the timely reply. I assume from reading URO seals are questionable. Where would I go about finding better seLs and weatherstripping? Pelican parts? I have an old land cruiser and am active on another forum and there's a bunch of members there that make items themselves. Always into helping out the little guy if it's possible.

rumb

I have used seals from millermbz.com

If you ever need a window regulator buy a good used one, the new aftermarket ones are not made well.
'68 250S
'77 6.9 Euro
'91 300SE,
'98 SL500
'14 CLS550,
'16 AMG GTS
'21 E450 Cabrio

Rube

Went out to clean up the car a bit more the other day and ran across a factory first aid kit that appears to be unused. Hopefully it'll never need to be used but it's a cool find as I wasn't even aware it was there.