News:

www.W116.org - All about the Car!

Main Menu

New 116 owner

Started by Mergyver, 24 February 2017, 11:54 PM

Mergyver

Hi folks, just bought my first 116. It is a 1974 silver green (861H) 450sel with 80,000 miles on it. Body is solid except for right side trunk floor. Interior is in good shape but I am not sure how much is original. I was hoping you guys could help me out with that.

It runs fine now, just needed the brakes bled, 4 and counting vacuum leaks fixed, resistor plugs replaced with NGK BP6ES (thanks to your forum posts pointing out the car's dislike of resistor plugs), seatbelt retract mechanism lubed and emergency flasher solenoid replaced.

The car was first sold in Washington state and spent time in California. It looks like it came with California smog equipment but I do not see an air pump. Should it have one?

Exterior is in good shape from the windows down, paint on roof and trunk lid is completely washed out by the sun.

Getting back to the interior...the shift lever is on the column not on the center console. Was that an option, I had never seen that before in a Mercedes.

One of the front seats has moldings on the back corners (drivers side) the other doesn't. Could one be from a different car? Plus there is no front seat armrest, was that an option?

The rear hat shelf is one solid piece covered in felt. Shouldn't it be carpet with a compartment for the first aid kit?

On the center console there is a defrost button which I thought was for the rear window but there is no wire grid in the window to defrost it.

The rear seat is very soft, shouldn't it be firm? is that a spring issue? Did the 1974 model have rear seat head rests?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

1974 450SEL
1979 300SD
1989 560SL
2005 E320 CDI Recently deceased

rumb

Welcome to the group.  Lots of good info here for you.

Getting back to the interior...the shift lever is on the column not on the center console. Was that an option, I had never seen that before in a Mercedes.

There is a "statistical" subject here : https://forum.w116.org/interiors-and-exteriors/question-for-statistical-maniacs/105/    It is uncommon.

One of the front seats has moldings on the back corners (drivers side) the other doesn't. Could one be from a different car? Plus there is no front seat armrest, was that an option?

I believe all came with center arm rest, someone has swapped your seat.  Post pictures for us

The rear hat shelf is one solid piece covered in felt. Shouldn't it be carpet with a compartment for the first aid kit?

These wear out from the sun.  Some cars did not come with the first aid kit.  Your build card will tell you.

On the center console there is a defrost button which I thought was for the rear window but there is no wire grid in the window to defrost it.

Someone replaced you rear window with the incorrect one.

The rear seat is very soft, shouldn't it be firm? is that a spring issue? Did the 1974 model have rear seat head rests?

Rear headrest are a rarer desired option.  The seat pad and the stuffing in the seat cover both wear out, very common on these cars. (I have a NLA NOS rear seat cushion for sale, PM me for details)

Post some photos of your car!
[/quote]
'68 250S
'77 6.9 Euro
'91 300SE,
'98 SL500
'14 CLS550,
'16 AMG GTS
'21 E450 Cabrio

Mergyver

Thanks for the feedback Rumb
1974 450SEL