News:

The Org - Serving W116 Enthusiasts since 2004!

Main Menu

My Project W116

Started by socalsean, 13 February 2013, 02:02 PM

socalsean

Quick question for you guys.....

Did the W116s with the manual transmission use a cable actuated clutch or hydraulic?

Squiggle Dog

They used a hydraulic clutch. I think the fluid for the clutch master cylinder was provided from a nipple on the plastic brake master cylinder reservoir (you snip off the closed end, the run a hose from it down to the clutch master cylinder).
Stop paying for animal cruelty and slaughter. Go vegan! [url="https://challenge22.com/"]https://challenge22.com/[/url]

1967 W110 Universal Wagon, Euro, Turbo Diesel, Tail Fins, 4 Speed Manual Column Shift, A/C
1980 W116 300SD Turbo Diesel, DB479 Walnut Brown, Sunroof, Heated Seats, 350,000+

socalsean

Quote from: Squiggle Dog on 08 April 2013, 05:29 PM
They used a hydraulic clutch. I think the fluid for the clutch master cylinder was provided from a nipple on the plastic brake master cylinder reservoir (you snip off the closed end, the run a hose from it down to the clutch master cylinder).

Thanks for the info. I appreciate the quick response. With that info I can definitely use the stock W116 clutch pedal for my R154 transmission swap. Totally stocked on that! Thanks again!!!!

socalsean

Thia project was put on hold. I didn't have any free time with my new business. Now that it's slow at work I've been ramping it up. I gave up on the 2JZ since finding a transmission that could hold the power I was looking to make was going to cost a boatload of cash. I sold it and bought a LM7 last night. It should arrive next week.

I also bought a set of Pentas, euro light housings, and NOS LHD lenses.

My room mate has a LS1 engine block that we will use to mock up engine mounts. Seems like there's plenty of room in the engine bay for this engine. I'm finally getting excited to work on this thing again!

socalsean

Engine arrived today. Now it's time to yank out the diesel and make some mounts.

socalsean

My buddy dropped her off this morning. Damn this thing is big.

socalsean

I drove up to Stockton today and picked up a rebuilt 4l60e with a new torque converter. On the way back my room mate and I stopped in Modesto to hit up a Pick N Pull. There was a euro 450se that still had the  bumpers and headlights. I ended up with just the passenger side lens and both bumpers as the housings and other lens was pretty beat up. Cost me just $146.

socalsean

I got the engine on the stand and began removing some brackets that won't be used. I broke 2 exhaust manifold bolt heads off but I think there's enough sticking out to get vice grips on them.

socalsean

Slowly but surely I've been gathering parts for the swap. I just picked up a front sump GTO oil pan and some adjustable engine mounts. I should have the diesel engine out sometime next month so I can start cutting and welding onto the frame.

oversize

1979 6.9 #5541 (Red Bull)
1978 6.9 #4248 (Skye)
1979 6.9 #3686 (Moby Dick)
1978 6.9 #1776 (Dora)
1977 450SEL #7010 white -P
1975 450SEL #8414 gold -P

MattW116

2JZ NO SH*T!

Seriously though, I was a Volvo guy for a while too. I had a straight piped 85 244TI M46 with an 850 15G that pooped fire and then an '83 242TI Homologation car. Had great fun, but man do I hate K-Jet!

Please put a giant Holset or something on the 2JZ.

socalsean

I ditched the 2JZ and picked up a LM7 instead. Too much trouble to find an affordable transmission to mate up with it. I have a HX55 that will go on the LM7 after it's installed and running. Still waiting on the damn oil pan. I think it was delayed due to all the bad weather in the midwest but it's due to arrive tomorrow or Sunday!

socalsean

The Dirty Dingo LSX mounts and gasket kit are on the way. Planning on hacking the engine bay apart in the beginning of March.

socalsean

The LS mounts are here. Looks like they'll work out perfectly.

socalsean

Seems like this project is cursed.

I finally got my Volvo running and out of the garage so I could bring in the 300SD to tear the engine and tranny out of it. The very next day my girlfriends timing belt in her 1.8T Jetta broke and wiped out the head. Now it sits in the garage awaiting its new top end. I hope to have it out by the end of the month.