News:

The W116 Library - The definitive W116 resource!

Main Menu

My other car is.....? (Update-PIC)

Started by John Hubertz, 16 February 2006, 07:32 AM

John Hubertz

I just purchased my "better" daily driver - as you all know I have a Dodge AWD Caravan van, and I just finished a 2 month hunt for a replacement of my old and very plain 1998 Buick by buying a 1994 Lincoln Mark VIII. 

It made me curious - what other cars do members of the forum drive?  Not necessarily the full list, but what car is "yours" other then the W116.....

(laughs)  I know ozbenzhead loves his Opels....

Update:  I'm thinking the land of Oz may be unfamiliar with the Mark VIII - It was head-to-head with the BMW 840 coupe in the USA.  275 HP, 32 valve quad-cam 8, pneumatic suspension, relatively few electronics except auto-temp and seat memory.

Here's a picture of a matching car, but mine is opalescent seafoam metallic (a green that color-changes from turquoise to amber depending on ambient and reflected light - factory optional paint).

John
John Hubertz
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
(Hunter S. Thompson) 

1977 450SEL (Max Headroom)
[img width=68 height=73][url="http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f248/fullhappyfish/max.jpg"]http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f248/fullhappyfish/max.jpg[/url][/img]

GSK11740

Oh, these can get interesting! ;D

Ok, my daily driver is a '89 Chevy S-10 Blazer 4x4 that I have been systematically rebuilding for the last two years. I figure the whole thing will be "brand new" by the end of this year.

My other ride until recently is a '70 VW Bus Westfalia camper that once I get through with all my other projects I plan to restore to mostly original with a few minor changes. It's kind of in storage until I get done with my '79 300SD and then it's next on the restoration list.

Denis

Hi fellows

My daily driver is a 1979 Mercedes-benz 220D with only 323 000 km : the best slow car ever built although I had it flat out for over two hours last year on a southern France autoroute. Being used to get to work, it usually sees little open road use and it was great to see how well it ran after the great cleanout.

If we were rational beings, we would say that the W123 diesels are amongst the best cars ever built on this planet.

Denis

Paris, France

Tomi

my daily driver is a E220T -95 (chassis S124), which is great as a daily driver. My other daily driver is a Mitsubishi Pajero 2.5TD -88 (or montero they call in some parts of the world), which I use when going to the country or when it snows, nice to have a car that you dont need to worry about scratches, but it has taken some of my time to keep it going.

I agree that W123 could be the best benz built ever. I have one of these too a 230E -82 which I have restored for my son who gets a license in a week or so.

Edit: I forgot all about my SL which is a R107 350SL-71 with a 280 twincam -82 motor in it. Totally restored, not be myself but by pros. Thats the white one in the gallery with the body kit. It is just waiting for the summer. This winter I have bought a Nardi wood steering wheel for it.
Yes, I've heard that about the pajero name  ;D

Mforcer

Other car? What nonsense is this? Who needs another car? There is no other car!  ;) ;D :P

I only have the one car. Don't drive that much. Live in the CBD and only have space for one car too. I would get a slightly newer Merc if I needed a daily driver though, maybe a W124.
Michael
1977 450SE [Brilliant Red]
2006 B200

GSK11740

Quote from: 450SE on 16 February 2006, 05:50 PM
Other car? What nonsense is this? Who needs another car? There is no other car!  ;) ;D :P

I only have the one car. Don't drive that much. Live in the CBD and only have space for one car too. I would get a slightly newer Merc if I needed a daily driver though, maybe a W124.

Normally, I would agree with you but when somebody lives in an area where the drivers are as bad as they are here, it's nice to have "disposable junk" to drive (and get hit in) instead of a beloved Mercedes that is being painstakingly restored. I told my wife that once I'm done fixing up my 300SD, I'm actually going to be afraid to take it out of the garage for fear of some idiot in a mini-van plowing into it because they are too busy playing with their cellphone or whatever instead of watching where they are going. That happens a lot around here!

OzBenzHead

Quote from: Tomi on 16 February 2006, 05:01 PM... a Mitsubishi Pajero ... (or montero they call in some parts of the world)

That re-naming was the result of a major marketing boo-boo in South American countries.

"Pajero" means, in Spanish/Portuguese, "traveller"; however, in Brazilian Portuguese it is also slang, meaning "wanker". It took Mitsu a while to figure why the Pajero just wasn't selling in Brazil! When they woke up, they renamed it.    ::) ::)
[img width=340 height=138][url="http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a215/OzBenzHead/10%20M-B%20Miscellany/OBH_LOGO-2a-1.png"]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a215/OzBenzHead/10%20M-B%20Miscellany/OBH_LOGO-2a-1.png[/url][/img]

oscar

Quote from: OzBenzHead on 16 February 2006, 09:16 PM

"Pajero" means, in Spanish/Portuguese, "traveller"; however, in Brazilian Portuguese it is also slang, meaning "wanker".

HA! That's funny.   :D

What's my other car.... Our family car's a 2005 Ford Territory Ghia.  Great vehicle, even though it's a Ford. It's selling its pants off and taking marketshare from imported US Ford SUV's ie Escape and Explorer.

It's interesting that on a ford forum, when it was suggested that these cars be exported to the US, a comment was made about the size of the US market. ie, US Ford sells more F-series vehicles a month than what our (Aussie) combined factories could build. 
Ford US sell over 100,000 F-series trucks per month let alone any other model.   :o Faaaarrrrrk!!! (BTW That's aussie slang for Ford)
1973 350SE, my first & fave

Peter Anderson

After disposing of my 450SE, I decided to get a cheap and economical daily driver to suppliment my 280SE. I found a cheap '97 Peugeot 306 diesel (a small hatchback for those in the colonies  ;) ). It's very french looking, which if you've never been to france, means that it hasn't got a straight panel on it. However it is 1 owner and full service history from new. I have to say I'm looking forward to 50mpg! And best of all it's a car I really don't care about.

There are a few of those car name stories, such as Toyota selling the MR2 in France, which if said in French sounds like 'Em-Air-Duh' or merde - french for sh*t. Didn't make them change the name though.

Denis

Yes Peter !

The 306 is a good little "disposable" car and your stylistic comment is quite correct  :(
Also, you beat me to the post on the Toyota MR2. It is even worse than you say as when you say "Toyota MR23 in French it is like saying "Toyota is shitty"  ;D

As a a sidenote, driving a W123 daily driver is good in Europe, people SEE your car and don't hit it, also, being BIGGER than most, they stay clear of it. A lane change with the W116 can easily knock of 2 or 3 Peugeot 306 should I so desire  ;D

Denis

John Hubertz

Quote from: 450SE on 16 February 2006, 05:50 PM

What is the CBD?

John
John Hubertz
(Hunter S. Thompson) 

[img width=68 height=73][url="http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f248/fullhappyfish/max.jpg"]http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f248/fullhappyfish/max.jpg[/url][/img]

Mforcer

Central Business District or in other words where street parking is non-existant :P ;)
Michael
2006 B200

John Hubertz

We'll send you Texas as a parking lot if you wish....but you have to take "W" Bush and WW Bush with it....  and not return either.

John
John Hubertz
(Hunter S. Thompson) 

Mforcer

Quote from: John Hubertz on 17 February 2006, 08:35 PM
We'll send you Texas as a parking lot if you wish....but you have to take "W" Bush and WW Bush with it....  and not return either.

That sounds fair  ;) :P
Michael
2006 B200

alabbasi

Daily Driver is a 97 Mercedes Benz E420. Lots of fun with a 32V V8.
Other cars that I spend my money on is a 73 280SEL

In the UK
89 BMW 318i (M40 engine) - 5 speed, manual windows, manual steering
71 Mercedes Benz 250CE - I have owned this car since I was 19.
                                     I want to bring this to the US and restore it.
With best regards

Al
Dallas, TX USA.