News:

www.W116.org - All about the Car!

Main Menu

My New Green W116

Started by Green74280se, 22 February 2013, 02:38 PM

Tony66_au

A common shortcut Al as the perception is that MB Hydro oil is too expensive and ATF will do...Which is wont as it is often too thin (Transmax M is closer in viscosity) and it contains chemicals not so friendly to the seals.

Penrite also make a hydraulic fluid suitable.

Casey

Povo door panels and a 280SE badge - was this perhaps a 280SE originally that got a 3.5 swapped in? The VIN will tell...

Also those appear to be W123 seats - the W116 ones had six pleats stitched at the seams whereas yours have 5 using the later heat-melt between the seams.

Beastie

Quote from: Tony66_au on 03 March 2013, 07:29 PM
A common shortcut Al as the perception is that MB Hydro oil is too expensive and ATF will do...Which is wont as it is often too thin (Transmax M is closer in viscosity) and it contains chemicals not so friendly to the seals.

Penrite also make a hydraulic fluid suitable.

I've been using that Penrite fluid in mine. When I got my car the system was filled with the wrong type of fluid and it was leaking out constantly. With the correct fluid, the leak has stopped.

Your car looks very shiny! And the paint seems to be in great shape.

Quote from: Casey on 03 March 2013, 07:41 PM
Povo door panels and a 280SE badge - was this perhaps a 280SE originally that got a 3.5 swapped in? The VIN will tell...

Also those appear to be W123 seats - the W116 ones had six pleats stitched at the seams whereas yours have 5 using the later heat-melt between the seams.

Oh wow, yeah, I only just noticed the door cards. :P That does seem a bit unusual.
1979 280SEL

"She's built like a steakhouse, but she handles like a bistro."

Squiggle Dog

Quote from: Casey on 03 March 2013, 07:41 PM

Cars with povo door panels had heat-melted seams with less pleats, similar to the kind found in the W123. However, W123 rear seats and skins are too narrow for the W116. I saw a few of these come into the wrecking yards in Washington, and I thought someone had replaced the entire interiors from a W123, until I realized W123 door panels and rear seat skins won't fit the W116, anyway.
Stop paying for animal cruelty and slaughter. Go vegan! [url="https://challenge22.com/"]https://challenge22.com/[/url]

1967 W110 Universal Wagon, Euro, Turbo Diesel, Tail Fins, 4 Speed Manual Column Shift, A/C
1980 W116 300SD Turbo Diesel, DB479 Walnut Brown, Sunroof, Heated Seats, 350,000+

Green74280se

Ummm, My car is only a 2.8 litre six... not a 3.5 V8

My Vin is 11602422062268.. first registered 28/5/76

And as far as i can tell the door cards are the original items..... One thing I would like to know....were there speakers down in the bottom corner (Closest to the rear doors) of the front doors as an original item?

And Beastie, the paint seems to be in great condition.. can't wait to give it a wash n polish as it's only been hosed down with a high pressure unit since it's come out of the shed.

Cheers,

Al

Casey

oversize

Ease up gents; I don't think I'd be calling the parts on someone else's car, "povo" (even if they were)!  A bit of respect wouldn't go astray
1979 6.9 #5541 (Red Bull)
1978 6.9 #4248 (Skye)
1979 6.9 #3686 (Moby Dick)
1978 6.9 #1776 (Dora)
1977 450SEL #7010 white -P
1975 450SEL #8414 gold -P

Green74280se

Ha ha, Thanks Oversize....

I was wondering what "povo' meant in the world of mercedes door cards.. I think mine look quite neat and tidy but are obviously missing something such as wood grain? / Leather? / Electric window switches?.

No offense taken but again, in my thirst for knowledge on these cars, I wouldn't mind knowing what is included in the "povo" pack and what what was in the "luxo" pack.... Personally, after owning around 15 x 80's "classics" i don't mind a bit of "non-electrics" such as manual winding windows and sunroofs.

Cheers,

Al

oversize

Quote from: Green74280se on 03 March 2013, 09:33 PM
And Beastie, the paint seems to be in great condition.. can't wait to give it a wash n polish as it's only been hosed down with a high pressure unit since it's come out of the shed.

That's amazing!  Imagine how she'd look after using a clay bar!!!
1979 6.9 #5541 (Red Bull)
1978 6.9 #4248 (Skye)
1979 6.9 #3686 (Moby Dick)
1978 6.9 #1776 (Dora)
1977 450SEL #7010 white -P
1975 450SEL #8414 gold -P

Casey

Quote from: oversize on 04 March 2013, 01:16 AM
Ease up gents; I don't think I'd be calling the parts on someone else's car, "povo" (even if they were)!  A bit of respect wouldn't go astray

I'm just using the term I learned here on this forum and used every single time I've seen these style of door panels referenced...  No offense meant.  At least around here, it's a desirable thing because they're very rare (only on some imported cars).  Doubt that's really true in parts of the world that got them by default.

It's just a different style - thinner mainly.  More similar to W115's.  I guess that's what the seat style is based on as well.  The pocket and handle and trim styles are different.  Here in the USA we have basically 3 styles of seats - 6-pleat leather, 6-pleat vinyl, or hideous aftermarket jobs.  Velour is rare and cloth was on some euro imports only.

Here's a usual driver door panel style:

jbrasile

Hi Guys,

As far as I know:

All 280's (except SEL's) came with a "standard" interior up to 1977, that included the thin door panels,  heated pleats on the seats with a different pattern for the holes in the case of MB-Tex, carpets were always multi loop, luxury interiors were optional. 350's and 450's came with the "luxury" interior but still had multi loop while   SEL's always had velour carpets. I also believe that on 6 cylinder cars if you ordered leather or velour you automatically got the thicker door panels. Starting in 1978 all models received velour carpets, thicker door panels, stitched 6 pleat seats and full wood consoles.

For the US market ALL 116's had thick door panels and 6 pleat seats. MB-Tex was standard except on the 450SEL which got leather. Velour was optional for the whole range but practically no one ordered it.

I am not sure if Euro 280SEL's ever came with standard door panels, never see a picture of one...

Tks

Joe

Green74280se

Wow, that is a big difference.

Strange thing is my first W116, a 1974 Blue 280SE had the same style door cards as the tan interior Navy Leather / vinyl with a two tone blue cloth insert but still with wind up windows???!!!

jbrasile

The fabric seats you had in your 74 280SE were a std no cost option, in 74 you could order Tex or fabric, door cards would be the thin ones as std or I believe it was possible to order the thick cards for extra $$$

Manual windows were standard on all 116's except for the 450SEL and 6.9. It is interesting to notice that after 77 you would get fabric seats with the luxury door cards as standard and the doors would have the same fabric in their center portion as the seats did, our friend Gavin in the UK has a 79 450SE with that combination interior, I really like it!

Tks,

Joe

Green74280se

Just coincidentally I came across a couple of pics of my old Blue Beast... again a one owner car.. when I sold it, it only had 145000kms (Documented)... unfortunately no interior shots! :(

Mr Walton (Yes the department store "Walton") bought this car when he sold his chain of stores back in the 70's and kept it until he had to hand in his license at the age of 91, a couple of years ago. Lack of use was actually a bad thing so a lot of things intermittently worked such as the brakes, distributor, Lighting, gearbox... you know, pretty much most of the basics! LOL.... It also had a little rust in one of the doors and the central locking was full of leaks.

After a full service and fair bit of fettling the car ran great but when I was made an offer I couldn't refuse from an inner city advertising exec I jumped at the chance of offloading it.... Only to regret it a couple of days later.............. Hence, my patient (12 month) search for another clean, one owner W116 with No rust!

Green74280se

That's amazing!  Imagine how she'd look after using a clay bar!!!
[/quote]

And yes, I'm planning to do the full treatment with her once she's home...... This is my 4yo Alfa wagon after a full day of detailing (inc claybar) so I'm sure Esmerelda will come up unbelievable... will definitely take some pics... Apologies in advance for "infecting" this forum with an Alfa! :D

Al