News:

The ORG - No shonky business!

Main Menu

My New Green W116

Started by Green74280se, 22 February 2013, 02:38 PM

Green74280se

Can't believe it... found a matching Citrus Green Hubcap at a Merc Spare parts place. ;D ;D ;D

$25 later it's on it way ... should be here in a day or so!

John Hubertz

What an awesome stroke of luck.  After my many years and dozens of cars in this hobby, I have become thoroughly convinced that some cars seem to want to be driven and loved, and they have their own kind of special luck.  I think you found a winner.
John Hubertz
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
(Hunter S. Thompson) 

1977 450SEL (Max Headroom)
[img width=68 height=73][url="http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f248/fullhappyfish/max.jpg"]http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f248/fullhappyfish/max.jpg[/url][/img]

ZCarFan

Quote from: Green74280se on 23 February 2013, 04:29 PM
... the thing that has me a little concerned are the inoperable door locks which means I can't leave it anywhere at the moment.  :(

When I visited Stuttgart, I was surprised to see graffiti.  It just did not jive with my preconceptions about German culture.

I feel the same when you Aussies talk about cars getting stolen, burgled, etc...  it just doesn't seem right.  Where I live in Georgia, people leave cars open and unlocked all of the time.  If it's not a high-dollar car, not much will happen to it.  If they want in, they'll just break the window anyway.   My sympathies that you have to guard the 'ol W116 in such a way. 

Love the color.  Can't miss that in the parking lot, can you?

Green74280se

Ha ha.. Definitely won't be missing that colour anywhere! LOL

It's funny you mention that because as I was driving her to the Mercedes workshop this morning I stopped at traffic lights outside a Mercedes Benz showroom / car yard.

All there was was a sea of silver, white, black and Dark grey new and near new Mercedes.... I was so tempted to drive my green beauty right into the middle of all of them and take a photo!.. Where have all the interesting colours gone...... Maybe they just don't sell as people are more conservative these days??!!

And by the way, after a 15 minute workshop check the drivers door lock is different so no wonder my key won't work??!!... Locksmith is going over to remedy, Slow locking doors due to sticky / old / leaking diaphrams so 3 to be replaced.... sloppy steering down to a worn coupling and the other thing they noticed was that the wrong hydraulic oil had been placed in the reservoir for the rear shocks... needs to be drained and replaced with correct oil. Total cost to remedy all the above is $805 and she'll be ready on Thursday. All I need to do now is pick up my 76 MERC plates and she'll be hitting the road.

CANT WAIT!!! 8)

oversize

Sounds like all the pieces have fallen into place for some great experiences in your new car!   :)
1979 6.9 #5541 (Red Bull)
1978 6.9 #4248 (Skye)
1979 6.9 #3686 (Moby Dick)
1978 6.9 #1776 (Dora)
1977 450SEL #7010 white -P
1975 450SEL #8414 gold -P

Squiggle Dog

I am "green" with envy. Ha, ha, ha.
Stop paying for animal cruelty and slaughter. Go vegan! [url="https://challenge22.com/"]https://challenge22.com/[/url]

1967 W110 Universal Wagon, Euro, Turbo Diesel, Tail Fins, 4 Speed Manual Column Shift, A/C
1980 W116 300SD Turbo Diesel, DB479 Walnut Brown, Sunroof, Heated Seats, 350,000+

John Hubertz

Hydro oil for rear shocks?  Is it self leveling in the rear then? 

To our more experienced members - how does that system work compared to the nitrogen sphere hydro setup on a 6.9?   Is it just half the 6.9 system or something completely different?
John Hubertz
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
(Hunter S. Thompson) 

1977 450SEL (Max Headroom)
[img width=68 height=73][url="http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f248/fullhappyfish/max.jpg"]http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f248/fullhappyfish/max.jpg[/url][/img]

Green74280se

Yes, I believe it is which I thought was only on the top of the range models... I'm fairly certain my other blue 280SE didn't have it so not sure what's happening there.

Had an extra cost added to the repair this morning as one of the shocks were leaking so need a new one of those, rear brake pads needed doing and the muffler has a hole so I'm getting a new stainless one put in.... For under $2k in repairs It seems I'll have a 36y.o Mercedes (Its actually a 76 model not 74 as advertised??!!) that'll drive like new!

Beastie

It's a beautiful colour. I don't think I've ever seen one in that shade. I'm glad things are working out well with it and that you're enjoying it.  8)
1979 280SEL

"She's built like a steakhouse, but she handles like a bistro."

Green74280se

Thanks Beastie,

Can't wait to post up a pic with a clean cream interior and whitewalls.. When I can afford them! LOL.

I've never seen one in that colour either... I actually thought it must've been resprayed but no... totally original. 8)

Kjhall65

My '79 280SE came with SLS.  I think it was standard in Aus on the 280 by that stage.  It has always been available as an option.  My W115 220 came with it as an option.
Ken

Green74280se

So I got in to work at a crazy time this morn (5.15am) and what else to do but wheel "Esmerelda" out of the warehouse and get cracking on the cleanup of the interior.

As it turns out I didn't get as much done as I thought before the troops arrived as the dirt / grime is really caked on.. particularly the back seat. Here's a couple of pics of the progress so far.. plus I wanted to show off my new hubcap and raised (standard) ride height! LOL

As you will see I'm going to need to get some mats to cover the carpet holes for now but the plan is to completely replace the carpet. And you will also notice a hole in the drivers door from what I believe is a non stadard speaker / stereo arrangement.... The Hitachi tape deck works and sounds a treat but definitely needs the fourth speaker!!!

Cheers,

Al

Type17

Looking good with the fourth hubcap!
'76 350SE in Silver-Green

Tony66_au

Quote from: John Hubertz on 26 February 2013, 12:15 PM
Hydro oil for rear shocks?  Is it self leveling in the rear then? 

To our more experienced members - how does that system work compared to the nitrogen sphere hydro setup on a 6.9?   Is it just half the 6.9 system or something completely different?

Something a bit different John, 2 Spheres and a regulating valve with a mech link.

The valve gives you up/down and squat.

A very nice ride with SLS rear and standard spring front suspension and ofcourse standard shocks front and hydraulic rams rear.

Simple enough and only 2 cells to go wrong.

Green74280se

All i know is that the car now rides beautifully (Smooth) and very flat on corners.

In the end he didn't replace the shocks.. it was all down to the incorrect hydraulic fluid... a drain, clean out of the canister and lines and replacing with correct fluid and all is working great... as a display two large mechanics sat in the boot and asked me to start the car.. when i did the back moved up gracefully and stopped at the level position!!!

Also, with the correct fluid the rear shocks aren't leaking any more... apparently someone put auto transmission oil into it??!! ::)