News:

www.W116.org - The #1 resource for our W116! Established 2004

Main Menu

My New Green W116

Started by Green74280se, 22 February 2013, 02:38 PM

Tony66_au

Nothing wrong with Alfa's Al, a fun car with a historical background.

Casey, It wasn't the word Povvo so much as the context and your blithe ignorance of the facts and the assumption that the US spec cars are the same as the Euro Spec cars which they are not.

Good manners and upbringing would usually dictate in such circumstance that your mouth is better remaining closed when ignorant and especially with a new forum member seeking knowledge.

Its just rude and makes me wonder if your parents ever taught you manners because you seem lacking in the area.

pompy

I love your car, Al, and I also like the colour AND I also like the name Esmerelda - I think it suits it 100% !

Casey

Quote from: Tony66_au on 06 March 2013, 04:36 AM
Casey, It wasn't the word Povvo so much as the context and your blithe ignorance of the facts and the assumption that the US spec cars are the same as the Euro Spec cars which they are not.

Good manners and upbringing would usually dictate in such circumstance that your mouth is better remaining closed when ignorant and especially with a new forum member seeking knowledge.

Its just rude and makes me wonder if your parents ever taught you manners because you seem lacking in the area.

I wasn't assuming anything, certainly not that euro cars were the same as US ones - I'm quite well aware of the differences.  The context was "hey, something we don't see here very often!".  But I've figured out one thing in my time here - you are really angry and upset at me for reasons I cannot fathom, and consistently misread my words/tone where I am never criticizing or speaking clearly antagonistically as you are here but just trying to write in an enjoyable manner despite repeated attempts to try to clarify & make peace, and continually put me down.  I'm not going to wonder about why that is, because it really doesn't matter, despite the irony in this post acting like you have superior manners when you are the one coming along and deciding to attack me yet again.  Clearly there is no benefit in me responding to you trying to explain and make peace, because the more I do so the nastier your next response is.  Just as clearly there is no benefit in you writing these scathing attacks on me, because whatever it is you're hoping to accomplish doesn't appear to be happening either.  What you're attacking me over now is me posting a sincere "oh hey, sorry if I came across some way I didn't intend to."  Do you think this sort of thing is something beneficial to ANYBODY ELSE on the forum?  Do you think it's earning you respect?  Do you think there's any sort of positive outcome to be had of any of this?  (those are rhetorical questions)

I've said it before and I'll say it again - I have no animosity towards you, or anyone really.  This is a text-based medium and we use different variants of the English language and live in very different cultures.  A grain of salt and benefit of the doubt is needed in such contexts.  It would be fantastic if you could manage that and act kindly and ask how something was meant or indicate where something is unclear without falling to the level of attacks like this, because that's the level of respect I try to maintain towards you regardless of how you come across to my perception.  I would never think of attacking your upbringing or parents, and find it extremely hypocritical that you do so in the context of talking about respect.

Kindly just leave me alone and I'll pay you no mind in return, which is exactly what I've been doing since your last outbreak at me.  There is nothing to be accomplished by treating me negatively.  I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish, but it doesn't seem to be working and I doubt it will by continuing the same behavior, and such will only serve to disrupt the forum and your own personal sense of peace and well-being.  It is also disrespectful and disruptive to the forum at large.

oversize

Whilst I don't wish to inflame the direction of this thread, I will say that regardless of context, 'Povo' is condescending Casey and not a term I'd use towards anyone.  Especially a new member
1979 6.9 #5541 (Red Bull)
1978 6.9 #4248 (Skye)
1979 6.9 #3686 (Moby Dick)
1978 6.9 #1776 (Dora)
1977 450SEL #7010 white -P
1975 450SEL #8414 gold -P

Casey

Quote from: oversize on 06 March 2013, 07:03 AM
Whilst I don't wish to inflame the direction of this thread, I will say that regardless of context, 'Povo' is condescending Casey and not a term I'd use towards anyone.  Especially a new member

Well as I said above, it's a term I learned here - by people referring to the panels in their own car!  It's not a word we use culturally here, and so I'm not familiar with it's implications.  I'm sorry for any misunderstanding that resulted as I sincerely expressed above, and won't continue using it, favoring a word like "thinner" instead.  No problem, and definitely did not mean to disrespect the owner of the car!  I think it's a beautiful W116 and love the color!  I also learned something new on this thread about the seats - I had no idea this style of seat ever came in W116's.  I sure don't claim to know everything, but I do claim that neither does anybody else.  The way to help one another learn and grow is not through attacks and put-downs and name-calling.

My only point in additionally reminding that we didn't get such panels in the USA was to try to illustrate that because we don't get to see them very often around here, I actually admire them quite a lot.  I wish I had such panels in one of my cars.  Assuming you have the parts readily available in your area, I'm sure switching between the two styles is a trivial and inexpensive matter, but that option isn't available to me without paying hundreds of dollars in international shipping costs!

Squiggle Dog

I agree with Casey that "povo" is also a term I learned on this forum, from members talking about their own cars (even in their vehicle descriptions in their signatures). I didn't know what else to call them, either. I thought this was the proper term the factory used?

I'm also sorry my post came across as condescending in using that term, but sometimes some of us are unnecessarily harsh in reprimanding. I came out rather unscathed, but I don't think Casey deserves the treatment he is receiving in this thread.
Stop paying for animal cruelty and slaughter. Go vegan! [url="https://challenge22.com/"]https://challenge22.com/[/url]

1967 W110 Universal Wagon, Euro, Turbo Diesel, Tail Fins, 4 Speed Manual Column Shift, A/C
1980 W116 300SD Turbo Diesel, DB479 Walnut Brown, Sunroof, Heated Seats, 350,000+

Green74280se

Quote from: pompy on 06 March 2013, 04:57 AM
I love your car, Al, and I also like the colour AND I also like the name Esmerelda - I think it suits it 100% !

Thanks Pompy.... My wife picked the name and apparently my new plates have arrived (76MERC) so we may have her out and about over the weekend! Woo Hoo.

Tony66_au

I am far from angry or upset with you Casey because its a forum and I learned long ago that it takes all kinds to make a forum.

oversize

Just so you all know, the word 'Povo' is slang here for poverish (or poverty).  Basically it means the cheap alternative, basic model, or lower specification.  It implies a person is poor, or of limited means.  The opposite would be 'top-of-the-range', high-end, or luxury version.

It's ok if people choose to use it when talking about their own cars.  If you choose to make a joke make sure it comes across that way by adding a 'LOL', ;o) or  ;).  But unless you know the receiver well I'd advise against making jokes as we all have different tolerance levels.

And if you don't know what something means, don't use it.

Now lets get back to Al's wonderful car.....
1978 6.9 #4248 (Skye)
1978 6.9 #1776 (Dora)

Green74280se

Thanks Oversize.

I feel a little guilty that my thread / topic has caused this angst between a few of us fun loving W116 crowd.

And I truly love Esmerelda with her Poverty pack..... and who knows, that may be more of a rare spec in years to come.

I certainly haven't taken offense to any of the comments and I'd hope we could all just move on and enjoy each others cars... that's what we're here for aren't we? ???

Cheers,

Al

oversize

Indeed Al!  I'm ready to move on!   :)
1978 6.9 #4248 (Skye)
1978 6.9 #1776 (Dora)

Casey

Quote from: Green74280se on 06 March 2013, 10:54 PM
I feel a little guilty that my thread / topic has caused this angst between a few of us fun loving W116 crowd.

Please don't - there's a bigger issue here between Tony and I that's crossed a number of threads (the most recent other of which I just had deleted in an attempt to stop this crap) that I really don't understand at all.  I'm sorry that my words seem to instill such unintended anger and misunderstanding, I'm sorry for the effect to all readers on the forum when this crap happens, and I'm sorry to you for it infecting your thread.  I do hope it doesn't put you off of the forum - this is in generally a great place!

Spelzer

Nice Find Al, I can picture the whitewalls on it as well and think it would certainly compliment the color.

ps Casey, thank you for your input and know that you are defiantly not the issue,
Over the last few months I have read through allot of the posts and can see that you are dealing with a clinical narcissist who true to that has turned on you because you have either caught them out on an exaggeration or disagreed with them once rather than offer narcissistic supply, so best to just ignore it and see it for what it is mate, Take a deep breath and go back to enjoying the forum being glad you are you not them.

Cheers

Green74280se

Thanks Spelzer re: Compliments for Esmerelda and the confirmation of whitewalls.

I'm just going to grab some popcorn, grab a comfy seat and continue viewing this topic!!!  ;D

oversize

1978 6.9 #4248 (Skye)
1978 6.9 #1776 (Dora)