News:

The ORG - Truly Independent and Unbiased!

Main Menu

My New 1980 300 SD Turbo Diesel

Started by sethkestenbaum, 17 July 2018, 03:49 PM

sethkestenbaum

I just purchased an ugly 1980 MB 300 SD Turbo Diesel with 102,000 miles and which needs a bit of TLC. As such, I thought it was a good time to post to the forum to introduce myself, introduce my car and ask a few questions.

I'm a non-mechanic that started wrenching on occasional weekends about 10 years ago with a 1929 Model A that I decided would be a great "starter car" to learn about restoration and general mechanics. I have no particular mechanical skillset or knowledge but have been learning as I go. When I purchased the car, it barely started. I've since driven it from NYC Area to Boston and back and from NYC Area to Ithaca and back. It was the last commuter car across the Tappan Zee Bridge in 2017, so I must be doing something right.

The 1980 MB300SD I purchased is hopefully going to become a nicely repaired/maintained (but nowhere close to concourse car) daily driver. I'm looking to do the work "right" but to keep costs within reason. I've had a diesel mechanic that used to work on W116s look over the car. He thinks the important systems are in good shape (although far from perfect). The mechanic is going to help me with some of the work when things are more than I can handle. First I plan to replace all the brake pads/rotors/hoses, replace some rotting connections in the vacuum lines, unbend a brace under the car, replace some fuel lines, and replace some other small parts. After this I will address the non-functional AC system, put in a new cruise control module, and do some more work. I'm certain the forum's tech articles will help me in all of this.

Ok, now the newbie questions:
1) Are there preferred supply houses for parts?
2) Are there any quality vinyl resurfacers in the NY/NJ/CT area that can work on dashes?
3) Some of the internal door panels (blue) are cracked from sun exposure.  Are there any sources of quality new or used replacements?
4) The wood center shifter panel needs to be re-veneered or replaced.  Are there any sources of quality new or used replacements or resurfacing companies?
5) Is there a "best" restoration or repair manual?
I can't figure out how to embed an image otherwise I would post a photo.
Seth Kestenbaum
oldcarroadtrip.com
1929 Model A Ford Phaeton
1969 VW Bug Convertible
1980 300 SD Turbo Diesel getting fixed up
1980 300 SD Turbo Diesel rusty parts donor car

floyd111

Hi, and welcome!

Start-off tip: If you're gonna be doing this W116 thing, prepare to stand on your own feet for solutions to questions and problems. Unless you're very lucky, depending on your location, the lack of trained mechanics for this car can be an obstacle.
On that note, all the answers to your questions are to be found all over this forum. Browse around, learn to use the search function, and you'll find what you need. Whenever you don't, feel free to ask. People here are very helpful.

Peter

HI Seth and welcome to the forum and the world of W116 ownership. Take a look at Pelican Parts website, they have helped me out on many bits and pieces for the W116 and offer a good choice of manufacturers for parts.

Squiggle Dog

It's nice to see another 1980 300SD owner! This car shares an engine with the W123 300D and W126 300SD and parts for the engine are readily available. Unfortunately, just about everything else for these cars is difficult to get. Interior parts aren't really available at all, and it's not easy to find anyone that will restore dashboards or door panels. This is one of those cars where if you need parts, you almost have to buy a parts car. The climate control is also a nightmare.

On a more positive note, I've never driven another car that's been as pleasant to drive and they are very reliable when everything's working. Mine's been my only car for eight years now and I've driven it on long multi-state trips and spent two hours a day commuting in hot Phoenix stop-and-go traffic. These cars can be a pain to work on, but if you're really dedicated, it can be done. I might sound bitter, but I started with a really rough car, so that's probably part of it.
Stop paying for animal cruelty and slaughter. Go vegan! [url="https://challenge22.com/"]https://challenge22.com/[/url]

1967 W110 Universal Wagon, Euro, Turbo Diesel, Tail Fins, 4 Speed Manual Column Shift, A/C
1980 W116 300SD Turbo Diesel, DB479 Walnut Brown, Sunroof, Heated Seats, 350,000+

irvine

Welcome to the club, I've been on here only 6 months and have learned a heap of info on the w116.
I find these cars very easy to work on and although what's been said above they are quite a simple design. As you said you've been wrenching for 10 odd years you'll have NO problem working on a w116.
Regarding parts as mentioned above, "pelican parts" will have almost everything you need to keep yourself busy anything else and you'll be surprised what you can find on eBay.
German eBay and uk eBay have heaps of parts, I've saved a little list of classics Mercedes breakers who sell on eBay.

Most importantly have fun.

Neil.

rumb

'68 250S
'77 6.9 Euro
'91 300SE,
'98 SL500
'14 CLS550,
'16 AMG GTS
'21 E450 Cabrio

sethkestenbaum

Thanks All.  I spent time "digging for parts" and did end up placing a nice sized order with Pelican to get me started.  In fact, I lost most of my work day to researching what would be needed to make things right in the car.  I also just missed out on a parts car that was less than a half mile from me.... the guy donated it to a charity last week.
Seth Kestenbaum
oldcarroadtrip.com
1969 VW Bug Convertible

raueda1

Quote from: sethkestenbaum on 18 July 2018, 08:21 AM
Thanks All.  I spent time "digging for parts" and did end up placing a nice sized order with Pelican to get me started.  In fact, I lost most of my work day to researching what would be needed to make things right in the car.  I also just missed out on a parts car that was less than a half mile from me.... the guy donated it to a charity last week.
Maybe you could buy it from the charity.  Everybody wins!
-Dave
Now:  1976 6.9 Euro, 2015 GL550
Before that:  1966 230S, 1964 220SE coupe, 1977 Carrera 3.0

sethkestenbaum

I wish... the local car is "long gone" according to the guy (who wouldn't say to whom he donated it).

Does anyone know which other models have rear window glass (the rear windshield) that can be swapped with that of a 1980 300SD?  My car's rear glass is delaminated and I'd like to replace it when I repaint.
Seth Kestenbaum
oldcarroadtrip.com
1969 VW Bug Convertible

rumb

single sheet safety glass rear window A1166780010 used on all models except 6.9 NLA

heated rear window single sheet A1166700780 used on all models except 6.9 NLA  maybe get here http://www.original-genuine-spare-parts.com/a/mercedes-benz/A11667_/A1166700880-heckscheibe.htm

heated compound glass A1166700980 used on 116-033 NLA

heated compound glass, heat absorbing A1166701080 used on 6.9 list 1014 euro, or maybe here http://www.original-genuine-spare-parts.com/a/mercedes-benz/A11667_/A1166701080-heckscheibe.htm

$769.6 here https://www.mboemparts.com/oem-parts/mercedes-benz-rear-glass-0-906-1166701080

I dont know for sure but I would think any w116 rear window would fit any other one.

start checking wreckers for any W116
'68 250S
'77 6.9 Euro
'91 300SE,
'98 SL500
'14 CLS550,
'16 AMG GTS
'21 E450 Cabrio

sethkestenbaum

I may have just scored a different donor car!
Seth Kestenbaum
oldcarroadtrip.com
1969 VW Bug Convertible

sethkestenbaum

Donor car purchased!  It is the same color combo as my car but has lots of rocker rust and has unfortunately been allowed to "age out" in a few place.  The good news is that the donor car's interior is in OK shape, cruise control works, A/C seems to work (but need a charge), wood is in better (albeit not great) shape than the recipient car, and rear window is nice and clear (not delaminating like on the recipient car). If I can swap out these parts for the non-working ones on my recipient cars, I should come out well ahead of the game.
Seth Kestenbaum
oldcarroadtrip.com
1969 VW Bug Convertible