News:

Please add your location to your profile. It will help others to help you!

Main Menu

My First W116

Started by Felsbourg_Lipp, 14 June 2015, 09:39 PM

Felsbourg_Lipp

Hey all, just thought I'd share my first W116.

Graublau 450SEL, 1979 with 222xxxkms on the clock. Picked it up for $650, hoping I haven't bought a lemon!

It has a 6.9 badge on the boot, however it definitely does not have the engine or suspension worthy of such a badge. Almost everything is working on it (now), except the sunroof only opens halfway, and the RHR electric window keeps blowing the damned fuse. Also, the previous owner appears to have traded a nice set of wheels for some stilts.

Can't wait to have this thing on the road, currently unregistered but will be on club plates soon hopefully.

Current issues are a leaky power steering pump, leaking sunroof, chipped windscreen, and various oil leaks (of course). Also a badly cracked wood veneer dash, not high on the priorities list though.

Looking forward to many a cruise in this beast!

Felsbourg_Lipp

I suppose some pictures would be good!

oversize

Welcome & congratulations! I saw that car advertised a long time ago & you got a VERY good deal there! I also saw it cruising around Gisborne not so long ago. There's plenty that can be done to improve performance, but I'd focus on fixing the sunroof leaks first. Yes you can avoid driving in the rain, but you will want to wash it on a regular basis
1979 6.9 #5541 (Red Bull)
1978 6.9 #4248 (Skye)
1979 6.9 #3686 (Moby Dick)
1978 6.9 #1776 (Dora)
1977 450SEL #7010 white -P
1975 450SEL #8414 gold -P

Felsbourg_Lipp

Thanks Oversize,

Yeah I'm not too stressed about performance at the moment, have the sunroof seals on my ebay watchlist. It was blowing a lot of black smoke, but it was also missing several vacuum hoses. Replaced them as best I could but I honestly have no clue exactly where everything is supposed to connect to. Played around with the mixture and idle speed too and it seems to be runnning much better. The auxilliary fan is running constantly though. I certainly have my work cut out for me!

thegreg92

It looks like your warm up regulator was replaced in favor of a (vacuum actuated?) fuel pressure regulator. I'm curious how this system works and how well it works...
1982 W123 240D - sold
1979 W116 450SEL
2007 W164 ML350
2011 W212 E350 Bluetec - lease expired
1978 W116 300SD - sold

Felsbourg_Lipp

Hey thegreg92, it's not vacuum actuated, it has a vacuum connection (I think) but the only lines connected to it are the 2 fuel lines. I'd like to get rid of it, but need to find a working WUR first. Plus I kinda like the gauge.

Car runs alright without the WUR, but cold starts require some gentle persuasion from a can of start ya bastard before it'll wheeze to life, so it is lacking fuel while cranking.

oversize

The 'WUR' controls fuel pressure through all stages of operation and without it you won't be getting the most from your engine.  I'd suggest saving for a Dkubus closed loop pressure regulator and you'll never look back!

https://www.facebook.com/DKubusKustom

OEM or genuine ignition leads are far superior to aftermarket ones which for some unexplained reason don't work well on a MB.

The most common source of a W116 sunroof leak is a rusted out tray.  You might be lucky and have a blocked, or broken drain hose but that's less likely.  Open the sunroof fully and inspect it from above.  If you can't see anything suspicious, you'll need to remove the roof lining to check source of the problem.
1978 6.9 #4248 (Skye)
1978 6.9 #1776 (Dora)

oversize

Are you looking to replace your wheels and if so, with what?
1978 6.9 #4248 (Skye)
1978 6.9 #1776 (Dora)

ptashek

Quote from: oversize on 16 June 2015, 07:43 AM
The 'WUR' controls fuel pressure through all stages of operation and without it you won't be getting the most from your engine.  I'd suggest saving for a Dkubus closed loop pressure regulator and you'll never look back!

Oversize, would you know anyone who's driven the FrankenCIS system on the road, rather than just through dyno tests?
I'm thinking of getting it for my 450, but there seems to be not much in way of actual road use test data available.
1993 "Pearl Blue" W124 280TE
1988 "Arctic White" W124 200T
1979 "Icon Gold" W116 450SE

BHW

ptashek, FrankenCIS is distributed by Dkubus Pty Ltd.  FrankenCIS is a creation of Reanimotion Engineering Pty Ltd a subsidiary of:
Reanimotion International Pty Ltd, PO Box 3090, Chermside West, Qld 4032 Australia.  I've made that very same point as well in the past.  Lots of talk.  No real concrete and proven history for me to invest in were I looking in to such an investment.  New company trying to get off the ground
yes, but I wouldn't want my prized possession as a guinea pig or be at a financial loss at a whim.  When Dkubus first showed on the "book" I did
all the research which consisted of complaints about Dkubus on other forums with resulting repairs and modifications at times detrimental to owner's vehicles, a non-existent website and lots of talk on the "book" about how much the units costs no matter what the questions were as a
deflection method.  The owner did not impress me as well with a personal webpage's contents.  This has been tried before in the past.  They are not re-inventing the wheel.  Here's the kicker, if you read the FrankenCIS Microsquirt Manual supplement specifically Page 2 Introduction continuing on to Page 3 it states, "THIS PRODUCT MAY BE USED SOLELY ON VEHICLES USED IN SANCTIONED COMPETITION WHICH
MAY NEVER BE USED UPON A PUBLIC ROAD OR HIGHWAY, UNLESS PERMITTED BY SPECIFIC REGULATORY EXEMPTION (VISIT THE "EMISSIONS" PAGE AT HTTP://WWW.SEMASAN.  COM/EMISSIONS FOR STATE BY STATE DETAILS.  IT IS THE RESPONSIBILITY OF
THE INSTALLER AND/OR USER OF THIS PRODUCT TO ENSURE THAT IT IS USED IN COMPLIANCE WITH ALL APPLICABLE LAWS AND
REGULATIONS. IF THIS PRODUCT WAS PURCHASED IN ERROR, DO NOT INSTALL AND/OR USE IT. THE PURCHASER MUST ARRANGE TO
RETURN THE PRODUCT (S) FOR A FULL REFUND.  THIS POLICY ONLY APPLIES TO INSTALLERS AND/OR USERS WHO ARE LOCATED IN THE
UNITED STATES, HOWEVER CUSTOMERS WHO RESIDE IN OTHER COUNTRIES SHOULD ACT IN ACCORDANCE WITH THEIR LOCAL LAWS
AND REGULATIONS."  Continuing on to Page 3 FrankenCIS "WARNING:  This installation is not for the tuning novice! Use this system with EXTREME caution!  FrankenCIS allows for total flexibility in engine tuning.  Misuse or improper tuning of this product can destroy your engine! If
you are not well versed in engine dynamics and the tuning of engine management systems DO NOT attempt the installation.  Refer the installation to an FrankenCIS trained tuning shop or call +61 7 3256 5600 for technical assistance.  NOTE: All supplied FrankenCIS calibrations,
Wizards and other tuning information are offered as potential starting points only. IT IS THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE ENGINE TUNER TO ULTIMATELY CONFIRM IF THE CALIBRATION IS SAFE FOR ITS INTENDED USE. FrankenCIS holds no responsibility for any engine damage that results from the misuse or mistuning of this product!"  "THIS PRODUCT MAY BE USED SOLELY ON VEHICLES USED IN SANCTIONED COMPETITION WHICH MAY NEVER BE USED UPON A PUBLIC ROAD OR HIGHWAY", yet being marketed to the average driver.  You don't see that posted on the "book".  An interesting read from Reanimotion via Pelican Parts 07-14-2014 "FrankenCIS is a software and hardware project to allow the MegaSquirt family of engine controllers to replace the Bosch WUR.  In its simplest implementation - mimicking the WUR by a temperature to bar map and closed loop pressure control. With optional interceptor like +- control of fuel mixture using the full mapping abilities of the MegaSquirt family."  "More advanced implementations - the sky is the limit really. Spark and Idle control. Full fuel mapping. Closed loop wideband O2 control. Boost enrichment and or pressure control. and so on."  More follows at http://forums.pelicanparts.com/911-930-turbo-super-charging-forum/820323-digital-wur-plus-frankencis.html  BHW

oversize

From what I've read there was a company in the USA that tried something similar years ago (search the M100 website) but failed due to various issues.  I do not believe they are the same company.

I am not affiliated with Dkubus, but I am very curious about the potential of the systems.  I have spoken to the owner on several occasions and he is very knowledgeable on all things CIS.  Yes he uses some of his cars in competition but it doesn't mean the systems cannot be used on road registered cars.  The only issue I can see is with the EPA but full testing would likely reveal lower emissions than a standard car.  Remember that the original systems were not closed loop and relied on regular maintenance to keep tuning, emissions and performance in the ballpark and acceptable.

No website does not prove a company is not reliable or trustworthy, or that their products are inferior.  Everyone has to start somewhere and the costs involved in website design, registration and implementation can be significant.  Remember also that there's plenty of companies that do exist without any web identity whatsoever and that this company is actually doing research and testing on CIS improvements (a 40YO design).  We should be thankful and they deserve our support.  Don't buy a system if you cannot afford it and aren't willing to try something new.  If you cannot tune your car with the system fitted it's simply a matter of taking it to a professional tuner.

Unfortunately I don't know anyone personally that's currently using a system but their car is being painted at the moment.  It'll be very interesting to see the results in the next month or two.
1978 6.9 #4248 (Skye)
1978 6.9 #1776 (Dora)

Felsbourg_Lipp

Thanks for the info oversize, I think as this won't be my daily however I shall just buy a reconditioned WUR and get good at tuning. If it was going to be my daily driver I would definitely invest in a frankenCIS system, looks like it would save a lot of fiddling. I've a feeling my fuel accumulator will need replacing as well, and it doesn't seem like they come cheap.
This weekend I shall be moving from an apartment to a house with a cavernous garage for the SEL. Once it's in there I have a feeling it won't be out for a while, I will be undressing it for a good old game of hunt the rust. Fun!

As for the wheels, I'd like AMG monoblocks, but will settle for anything that's decent at a decent price. Not a big fan of what's currently on there.

ptashek

BHW, these are just typical warnings and footnotes on 3rd party automotive equipment. Heck, you even get that on factory stuff. It's just legal covering of owns backend. Standard stuff.

I won't question the trustworthiness of the company, as I've never dealt with them, and there's more evidence to them being OK, than not.
Having no website, or a basic, poorly put together website proves nothing.

If the system runs reliably in dyno tests (I'm following their updates), it at least is known to work in controlled conditions. That's a good start, and actually proves the company is not rushing things, and pays attention to detail. That's never a bad thing. What's missing for me is data from road tests, as racing and road use have very little in common in terms of operating conditions, tuning requirements and such malarkey. I only consider it because it has the potential of delivering some reasonable improvements, while having least possible effect on the originality of the setup - unlike full MegaSquirt conversions.
1993 "Pearl Blue" W124 280TE
1988 "Arctic White" W124 200T
1979 "Icon Gold" W116 450SE

BHW

Everyone, The points I was trying to make was that Dkubus is the DISTRIBUTOR for the CREATOR Reanimotion, when I researched the company known as Dkubus as stated on their social network page, "World "FrankenCIS" Distributor" with no inferring as to Reanimotion being the creator of this system, they had a non-functioning website and a forum presence of complaints about their work therefore there was no worded proven positive performance record to speak of.  You can sell systems out of the back of a truck without a website.  At least there would be word of mouth.  I provided the Pelican Parts link for Reanimotion so you could read their trials and errors regarding this system.  You can build your own system.  This very subject is being spoken about on many other forums with countless questions as to what kind of added performance can be expected, what type of modifications would they have to be making and as well discussing the flaws of this system.  Other individuals expressed their apprehension about putting out about two grand with no testimonials.  On June 6, 2015 Dkubus posts, "Our System can definitely help you get the very best performance available from your total engine/cams/compression ratio/exhaust/intake & transmission package. We have been running this system in both race and street cars on M117,M116,M103 and soon to install on the 24V M104. And our customers are also running the system on Porsche Turbo's, Volvo, Lotus Esprit Turbo, Ferrari and of course many Mercedes Benz vehicles.", yet all you see on the Dkubus page is data logging, data logging, data logging and trying to sell, sell, sell.  All I've seen is one individual on one forum whom purchased the system in February never to be heard from again and another individual whom purchased the system and has yet to put it into action at this point.  The social network that Dkubus is on is public and world wide.  The proof is in the pudding.  Ok, Dkubus claims to have served pudding to multiple nationalities of vehicles.  Where are all of the five star reviews from Porsche Turbo, Volvo, Lotus Esprit Turbo, Ferrari and of course many Mercedes Benz owners???  BHW     

oversize

Well that is interesting....  I just did a web search and came up with the links below.  They both refer to Dkubus as the distributor:

http://www.frankencis.com/

And this is Reanimotion's website which covers other products:

http://www.reanimotion.com/

It's still in the 'early' stages but there doesn't seem to be many negative comments.  Very interesting times indeed
1978 6.9 #4248 (Skye)
1978 6.9 #1776 (Dora)