News:

The W116 Library - The definitive W116 resource!

Main Menu

My first W116 here at last

Started by gavin116, 10 April 2011, 01:54 PM

jbrasile

Gavin,

Nice to see you are making progress!!!

Cool that the tach is now working perfectly.

Blue coils unfortunately are NLA so we have to live with these silver ones... I got lucky a few months ago and picked-up a brand new blue one from e-bay, not a bad idea to check from time to time if you are aiming for that factory look.

Good you got your h/l wipers working again, mine are still out of commission, I must have missed something when I put the car back together after the paint restoration because they were working before...

That blue relay does not belong there.... since it does not seem to do anything and all you have is a wire going into the alternator, I'd just remove it.

You are on the right track trying to locate the radio issue, you found the green/red wire and it should show 12V with the ignition in its first (accessory) position. Since you say it is always dead something is amiss somewhere. I am still dumbfounded that there is no inline fuse for the radio in the fuse box. Question, does your cigar lighter work?

Here are some prices for you:

09028 - Set of Bosch ignition wires - $121.45 - I sold Calvin a set for $83.55 but that stock is gone and the new ones have a much higher cost

005 545 12 32 - cruise control amp - $300.00 remanufactured
119 070 02 46 - cold start valve - $309.60 - original MB (344.00 list)

And here are the window seal prices, same as we supplied to Raptelan

116 720 03 78 - door seal LF - 171.00
116 720 04 78 - door seal RF - 168.30
116 730 01 78 - door seal LR - 165.60
116 730 02 78 - door seal RR - 165.60
116 725 00 65 - window wipes - 29.25 x 8

All original MB with a 10% discount from list

Tks

Joe

gavin116

Saturday morning tidy-up

Woke up on Saturday early-ish to get a head start before taking the car back to storage.  I was determined to get to the bottom of the radio feed.  I decided to pull the fuse board once again.  When I did this, I saw a similar picture emerge as on the cigarette lighter harness.   One loop of red and green wire was left exposed whilst the rest was taped up with insulation tape.  (So, Joe you were right when you said that you think you could see the inline fuse in my fuse box, problem was although it was the right wire, because it was wrapped in insulation tape without a fuse holder, I missed it in my naivety!)   Upon its removal, I discovered that the wire was indeed live when the car was started!  It has the male and female connectors, but no inline fuse.  I shall see if I can source a more modern blade type inline fuse, and get that sorted.

Mystery of the radio feed uncovered! (The other wires are for my sensor upgrade and the tacho +ve feed)

In this older photo, you can just make out the red and green wire, but it is folded back on itself and taped to the harness.  It lies just to the top at the same level as the left relay

I then had to drill the anchor points on the cruise control actuator.  Took a little doing.  Then I mounted it using stainless steel screws and nuts, and finally slipped the cruise control actuator into its bracket.  I was however a little peeved when I noticed that the degreaser must have dripped off the bonnet liner causing the red warning sticker to disintegrate on the cruise control actuator.  Are replacement stickers still available?  (Worst still, the liner is still oil soaked...)  I was no nearer trying to pry the ignition module off the side wall, and will give that a go again at the next visit.  I also replaced the four bumpers on the leading edge of the bonnet that I got from MB the previous day.

The cruise control re-mounted.

I followed up putting the Auto Glym liquid polish onto the zinc plated fittings to try and keep subsequent oxidising to a minimum.  At the same time, I removed the superfluous relay, and that didn't seem to do any harm.  I noted that this wire was tapped into the blue wire of the alternator (? the check light wire) so I have left it alone for the time being.  I might like to experiment with it later.

Back to my order.  Joe, I think for now, I will leave the cold start valve and amplifier, but I do want to forge ahead on the seal side.  I neglected to say that I would like a boot seal, and both L & R tail light seals.  I will take all the other seals you mention, as well as the HT leads.  Just to ensure we are on the same hymn sheet, I have posted pictures of what I think are the 'window wipes', please confirm, and also a picture of the plug shields and my dizzy so that we get the correct HT lead set.  I think you still have my vin somewhere, let me know if you need it again.  I would also like to add both front seat safety belts to this order please.

Perished window seals (window wipes).

The spark plug end of the HT leads (I replaced the clip mechanism on the high pressure line from the A/C [blue line])

The dizzy end of the HT leads (and in the foreground the long suffering refurbished auxiliary fan sensor)

Bye for now, looks like I will be busy when Mrs White returns.  Will post some more then.

Gavin

P.S. On the way back to the storage facility, I came across a burgundy W108 just a short while after crossing the Hammersmith Bridge!
P.P.S. The trip to the SEC shop will be on hold, just found my M.O.T. which is valid till the end of October.  Looks like I only need a Tax disc for now.
1979 450SE "Mrs White"
2022 Touareg-R 3.0TSi Hybrid
[url="http://forum.w116.org/test-drive/my-first-w116-here-at-last/"]http://forum.w116.org/test-drive/my-first-w116-here-at-last/[/url]
[url="http://forum.w116.org/the-org/british-near-london-meet/msg97613/#msg97613"]http://forum.w116.org/the-org/british-near-london-meet/msg97613/#msg97613[/url]

jbrasile

Gavin,

That's too bad about the cruise control servo sticker.... unfortunately it is not sold separately from what I can see in the epc.

Did you try to connect the two wires you found in the fuse box to see if you get 12V at the radio power wire inside the car? The male and female look like maybe they were crimped to eliminate the inline fuse, you could either just plug them together and add the fuse inside the car or to keep it original just add it inside the fuse box, you should have this problem resolved now!

Thanks for the order! I will add:

1) boot/trunk seal
2) tail light seals
3) HT/spark plug wires - by the way yours are Bosch p/n 09028 quoted
4) front seat belts - I will confirm price as soon as the CC replies to my e-mail

Yes, the window wipes are indeed the seals you show on your picture, 4 inner and 4 outer. For the front doors they come with the right length, the rears you will have to cut to fit. You will need a very powerful pair of pliers to do this since the wipes have a steel blade inside.

I have your VIN in my system so no problem getting the correct items.

We will ship all the rubber parts from the Classic Center on Fedex and the HT leads from my warehouse also Fedex so there are no delays as the previous order.

Tks,

Joe

gavin116

Hi Joe,

I think the car will benefit from these new parts tremendously.  Might I cut the rear seals with a mini-hacksaw rather than a pliers?  (Figured that one out, they probably only do one size to suit the SEL's hence cutting them down to fit the SE.)  As the door panels need to come off, do you supply the rubber seals for the central locking vacuum components?  If not, where do I order them from?

And yes, I think the radio supply issues are now finally sorted!  Just a little detective work and perseverance.

Regards

Gavin
1979 450SE "Mrs White"
[url="http://forum.w116.org/test-drive/my-first-w116-here-at-last/"]http://forum.w116.org/test-drive/my-first-w116-here-at-last/[/url]
[url="http://forum.w116.org/the-org/british-near-london-meet/msg97613/#msg97613"]http://forum.w116.org/the-org/british-near-london-meet/msg97613/#msg97613[/url]

jbrasile

Hi Gavin,

I am sending you a confirmation quote via e-mail shortly confirming prices on everything including the hood pad (bonnet liner) and the door lock diaphragms.

We are having some problems with the seat belts, some of the p/n's are NLA and I am working with the Classic Center to see what's still available that will fit your car.

It is better to cut the rear window wipes in one straight shot, a hack saw may leave an irregular finish.

The wipes are pre-cut for the front doors, even the rear doors on a long wheelbase car require them to be trimmed.

Tks,

Joe

littlefin

Hi Gavin

This is my first post as a newbie on W116.org, so hello everyone, and apologies for lack of etiquette (if appropriate)! I have owned my Mercs for years, but confess to being a relative newcomer to the W116. I am however very impressed with the quality of posts and information on this site. Congratulations to all concerned!!!

A little background to begin with. I too live in South West London (Wandsworth) and I am about to take delivery of my first W116 - coincidentally also sourced from Yorkshire. So I will soon be taking the long drive south on rather ancient tyres  ::) I've bought a 280SE rather than a V8, so am hoping for better fuel consumption LOL

I don't want to go on too long, but if you are still looking for garage recommendations, I can wholeheartedly recommend John Haynes Auto Technics at Goring-by-Sea www.johnhaynesmercedes.co.uk

No connection, other than they have been servicing my cars (1967 W110 & 1972 W108) for a number of years. They aren't cheap, but they are very, very thorough. They will give you a full appraisal of your car during servicing, and will do as little (or as much) as you can afford. I take my cars down there from London; from Guildford you would be halfway there (kindda) and would have an excuse for a drive in the country. The train journey back to London is very straightforward - and you can fit in a visit to the seaside too, if you like.

Regarding Stainless Steel exhausts: I had one fitted to my 3.5 a number of years ago, and it has served me well. The car does tend to stand rather a lot (shame) so stainless makes sense. Do bear in mind a stainless exhaust will be much louder than a mild steel one, a factor that I hadn't properly considered before buying mine. The mild steel exhaust I have on my fintail is much quieter (smaller engine helps too  ;D) but will need replacing a lot more often inevitably.

Regards, Phil

PS I think the burgundy W108 you spotted on your way to your storage facility may have been me  ;)

PPS any hints on how to upload photos to strings anyone? May share some pics in due course
110011 1967 230
108057 1972 280SE3.5
116024 1979 280SE
126037 1983 500SEL
124030 1989 300E

gavin116

Hi Phil

Welcome to the forum, and congratulations with the purchase of the 280.  Is it the one I saw on the internet that came with a wonderful history, low mileage, good bodywork and engine, but at a price?  Red I think?  Anyhow, doesn't matter, as the 116 will soon become your favourite Merc! :)

I am sure we will get together at some stage including Calvin and Adamb when his 6.9 is out of the paint shop.

In the near future I plan to do some seal replacement and other door related issues, so keep an eye out for some more posts.  Joe is in the process of sending me a couple of "boxes".  Also thanks for the recommendations for servicing the car/exhaust, I'll look them up on the web.

Regards

Gavin

P.S. If there was a bicycle hanging out the boot of your 108, then yes it must have been you!  Small world...
1979 450SE "Mrs White"

calvin streeting

Hi... yes we should meet up at some point....

Calvin.

littlefin

In that case, it wasn't me after all, although I was in the area... I don't generally drive around with things hanging out of my boot  ;D
I'm surprised there was another W108 around though, as you very rarely see them outside shows/Club Meets these days.

Yes, chances are the 280SE is the one you saw advertised on the internet recently. I had been planning to buy a W126, but the W116 looked too good to miss, it's also is a better 'fit' with my other cars IMHO. It is 'Mittel Rot' a colour which really shows off the chrome to great effect, I think. I will post some pics when I get the opportunity unfortunately I'm going to have to put the car straight into storage, as I'm going to Cornwall with the family next week.

Regards, Phil
110011 1967 230
108057 1972 280SE3.5
116024 1979 280SE
126037 1983 500SEL
124030 1989 300E

adamb

Looks like we've got a little community starting to form around here. I can't wait to get my car back on the road. The paint is on now and it's being machine polished so not long to go!

gavin116

Never send a boy to do a man's job

Hi all,

So the saying goes: "Never send a boy to do a man's job!"  I got up relatively early today in preparation for the mammoth day that was awaiting me.  So much to do, so little time.

Out of the starting blocks, I put the new vertical trim piece and three new trim clips on the front grille.  The nose is transformed, Mrs White no longer looks like a heavy-weight boxer with a broken nose!  Next, I took off the air cleaner, covered the air flow meter, and proceeded to wash the living daylights off the top of the engine.  Job done, and what a feeling of satisfaction!

Left hand bank before cleaning (1)

Left hand bank before cleaning (2)

Right hand bank before cleaning (1)

Right hand bank before cleaning (2)

The airflow meter covered to allow cleaning of the top part of the engine, although not apparent in this picture, I also blocked off the oil breather pipe

Left hand bank after cleaning (1)

Left hand bank after cleaning (2)

Right hand bank after cleaning (1)

Right hand bank after cleaning (2)

I grabbed the new HT leads, dizzy and rotor, and installed those.  I found that the spark plug on the number 8 cylinder was loose.  I thought the worst, stripped thread, but luckily I used the MB tool in the boot, and it tightened.  I hand tightened it, then put a screwdriver into the bar, and gave it a little tweak.  I think that should be the required 15nm?  It looks neat, and tidy, wish I could say the same about my idling, which is now a little rougher than before, and occasionally I get some pre-ignition when switching the car off.

Time to tackle the sunroof, I removed the left hand side felt by opening the sun roof to its fullest, and undoing the three grub screws.  I trimmed and inserted the new felt, but it was a nightmare, it kept on binding.  After much ado, I finally got it to work.  The right hand side was far easier for some unknown reason.  Then I moved on to the front seal.  The old seal had some adhesive keeping it in place, so it was a bit of a struggle to get it out.  I then placed the new seal, but this too is not entirely satisfactory.  I finally got the roof to close, and have left is so, hoping that this will mould the new rubber into shape.  I have an idea that this seal needs the sun-roof tray to be dropped in order to get a perfect fit.  For that reason, I did not even think of touching the rear seal.

Note that the rubber now binds with the wind deflector.  This will need to be redone...

The seal looks good when the roof is closed

Having done these jobs, it was off to MB to see if I could get my hose-clamps that I ordered on Wednesday, lo and behold all my goodies were there, including the parts from Germany.  I then made a dash for the hardware, ultimately ending up in a local craft shop to find spray on adhesive.

The new liner and spray adhesive

On my return, I covered the engine bay, and removed my old oil soaked engine liner.  I cleaned the under surface of the bonnet (hood) in preparation for the glueing, which was applied to both the bonnet and the liner.  It is a different construction to the old one, but as long as it does the job.  I also installed my new fuse box lid.

I had to steel myself to tackle the fuel pump assembly.  I got the car up on the jack, the first time that the jack has been used!  I placed my newly acquired trestle at a suitable point.  I got the housing off, only two screws, one is missing.  My hands and the ratchet were covered in road grime and WaxOil.  Still I willed myself on, got the fuel assay off, this time four bolts.  I discovered that the bracket is broken and held together with a cable tie.  I then removed the terminals from the fuel pump.

Remembering the warning that I read somewhere about the main fuel line that comes from the bottom of the fuel tank, "in all likelihood this line will be perished even if it looks perfect, and will need to be replace".  So, do I go, or do I stay?  Nonsense, come this far, removed the main pipe from the damper, petrol, petrol, petrol everywhere!  Un-perturbed, I produced the bung to push into the very hose.  I tightened the hose-clamp, and two problems became immediately apparent: a) the hose was indeed fragile, and falling to bits, and b) the petrol being a solvent melted my plastic bung.  So much for I'll only loose a little of the half tank of (£1.50/lt) petrol.

Well, the petrol kept flowing.  I managed to grab a toothbrush I was using for the detailing which had a thick handgrip, and rammed that in there, and tightened it with the hose-clamp.   Deep breaths, WTF, my skin is stinging like crazy now, the petrol has dissolved some of the WaxOil, and the tar!  Looking more like a true African rather than the African that I am, I decided immediate action was necessary: a shower.  Up the stairs into the shower, relief to some extent.  Damage: undies and T-shirt totally F§@%ed, put in a plastic bag and thrown away.  Rescued from luckily dark coloured shorts, wallet, keys and 'special petrol igniter' - cellular phone.

The fuel assay, covered in WaxOil, overspray and rust!

The hose that caused all the issues

I have only just opened Joe's email, it being seven o' clock in the evening.  His words of wisdom, "a little too late":
"Hehehe.... make sure your gas tank is as empty as possible and drain it before you remove the hose that goes into the damper cage. Good idea to have your cell phone far away from the area and if posssible have a small fire extinguisher available... I am being paranoid here because nothing is going to happen,  but better safe than sorry...."  Bloody famous last words :-[!

More panic, has the parking warden visited Mrs White whilst I've been in the shower?  Mercifully: no.  This good news galvinised me in to action.  I got the wretched fuel assembly back on the car. Then I proceeded to cut off a small length of that disastrous hose.  Pushed it back onto the damper, and job done.  I replaced the plastic cover.

When someone walked by, bearing in mind that it smells like a refinery, the pavement is full of size 10 tar footprints, I thought they gave me an odd look?  By this time, I was donned only in a pair of shorts, and with what I thought was milky white skin to rival even a Scotsman's complexion, they must be thinking he'll get a sunburn.  But no, the skin on my back and arms was still burning, so I went back indoors to look in a mirror.  What a shock, I thought I will never come clean again.  BLACK, BLACK, BLACK.  I remembered that I bought a solvent type degreaser to clean up the bicycle.  So I got that out, and proceed to wash myself with degreaser and a paintbrush, and bathe in a bucket of water, similar to how I saw locals doing it on a trip to India!  This all in the front yard, much to the amusement of passersby.  Don't knock it, it works...

I proceeded to do the same with all my tools which were also covered with WaxOil and tar.  Next, I tackled the 'footprints', but the concrete pavers are excellent absorbers of tar!  I decided to replace the rear wheel instead, which I did.  Feeling somewhat relieved that there were no more leaks, I thought I'd go and have another try at washing my claws.

Spoor?

Bloody hell, the shock of it!  Not only were my foot prints on the concrete paving, but all over the hallway carpet!  I thought: here comes trouble!!!  I ducked into the under-stairs-cupboard and luckily found some Vanish carpet cleaner.  Thank goodness it does what it says on the tin, or my life would not be worth living...

Feeling a little blue that the sun-roof did not go quite as well as I would have liked, that the car's idling in worse now with the new HT leads, and my Titanic fuel pump assy debacle, I thought I have to end the day on a high.  As the female pin bushings had arrived for my warning alarm, I decided to get that finished.  I done my soldering etc, and then re-installed the instrument binnacle, only to find a wretched white speck in the warning alarm window.

That would drive me absolutely crazy, so it was off with all the behind the dash gubbings and clean out the central window.  Re-installed for the second time, now looking perfect.  I have had to settle for no check-light function, as I cannot figure which wire does this job.  And, I have no low oil warning light connected.

It may be possible to retro fit an oil level switch from a W107 300SL, 380SL or 420SL in the oil pan, but I don't know.  I may speak to the man at the SEC shop and see what he thinks.  I removed the exclamation mark from the light bulb, placed a green screen behind that light, rigged it up to the instrument lighting, and it now functions as a headlights on information light rather than a bulb-out warning light.

The warning light for headlights on, and the washer level to give you an idea what it looks like at night time

The warning cluster in the light-of-day

Now, here I sit, drinking ice cold Hoegaarden, pondering if I should try at least one of the new door seals tomorrow...

I hope you are laughing with me, and having as much fun as I am!

Regards

Gavin

P.S.   Have some photos, but can't find the card reader.  Will post them soon.
P.P.S.  I am not beaten by this fuel assay.  I shall buy the the remainer of the parts new, and assemble the wretched assembly, and then I will give it to the mechanic to install it.  I no longer want to run on high octane.  The question is: will I ever stop smelling of petrol?

1979 450SE "Mrs White"

Casey

Quote from: gavin116 on 05 August 2011, 02:06 PM
I trimmed and inserted the new felt, but it was a nightmare, it kept on binding.  After much ado, I finally got it to work.

Yeah, these were a bear for me too.  I used a claw hammer (carefully!) to get the job done.  I have the parts but haven't replaced the front or rear yet myself...

Your horror stories of being covered in petrol make me getting doused in (smaller amounts of) diesel seem rather relaxing and nice.

This was a rather entertaining read - thanks for sharing!

Type17

Having been almost up to my armpit in petrol when replacing an in-tank fuel pump on an Audi 80, I can sympathise with your currently stinky skin - it has soaked into your skin, so washing the surface has little effect until it comes back out on its own, but it does disappear in about 24-36 hours.

PS: Mobile phones don't cause fuel explosions, it's static that is the problem: Petroleum Equipment Institute's Stop Static Campaign
'76 350SE in Silver-Green

adamb

Wow, Gavin. That's one challenging day though working with old cars I find most jobs challenging. Over time I have gotten pretty good at removing rusty screws and the like. Removing fuel lines is never fun but it's quite rewarding replacing age old fuel lines with new rubber that doesn't leak expensive fuel that should be used for hammering down the road :)

gavin116

Inserted the relevant pictures into my last post.  Decided to take the day off, finally cleaned the last of the tar off the bathroom basin with Braso, cleaned the shower tray and washed the bath.
;)
1979 450SE "Mrs White"