News:

The Org - Serving W116 Enthusiasts for over 20 years!

Main Menu

My Custom 1980 300SD Project

Started by Squiggle Dog, 04 August 2010, 08:15 PM

Squiggle Dog

Look at the original craigslist ad for my car and have a good laugh (I will post commentary in red):

1980 Mercedes Benz 300SD Turbo Diesel W116, 5-Cyl, 4-Spd Auto | 28 MPG

Date: 2010-03-11, 9:04AM

1980 Mercedes Benz 300SD Turbo Diesel
       W116 D30A Chassis, 5-Cyl, 4-Spd. Automatic
       28 MPG

Great running car. Starts quickly and easily in all weather (all 5 glow plugs were bad, wouldn't start in cold weather). Better pick up speed and fuel economy due to the Turbo Charger (turbo was seized and non-working) and aftermarket hi-flow air cleaner (a cheap aftermarket hot-air kit that was melted by the exhaust manifold). No rust (mostly true), good paint (paint was horrible), but clear coat is pealing up (in large sections).

Powered by the 3.0 L OM617 inline 5-cyl turbo diesel (2998 cc) engine. Power output is 120 hp (89 kW) with MPG consistent @ 28 miles per gallon of fuel. This reputed to be one of the most trust worthy builds of 5-cyl Mercedes Diesels, used in millions of sedans and light duty trucks, around the world. Current tags, expire August, 2010. No DEQ required. This classic is a reliable daily driver (not even close), with a 4 speed automatic transmission (transmission had bad internal seals and needed to warm up for 10 minutes before it would go into drive--and then the vacuum line fell off and it wouldn't shift out of second gear, had to rig it to get home). New brake master cylinder last month (Total lie, it was a rusty one with a cracked reservoir and rotten seals and it wouldn't hold brake fluid. I'm lucky it didn't run dry and kill me because the parking brake didn't even work). Front alignment done by Les Schwab last December (Another lie! The car wandered all over the road and when I took it in for an alignment the shop said it was way off.). Tires 75% (all 4 tires were mismatched, dry rotted, and threadbare--worst peeling chromed bundts I have ever seen).
       Front seats are a bit worn and showing their age yet still very firm and comfortable (they were trashed; broken springs, no padding left, and ripped). Rear seat is mis matched color, as well as front floor mats (they were blue and out of a W123). The window switches for the front left, and rear right windows need to be replaced (and the regulators and all parts pertaining to the power windows were bent or broken). Sun roof is working but needs a good greasing (he was right about that). Trunk seal needs to be replaced (trunk seal was good, water was coming in from the taillights). AC is non-functioning (so was the heater).
       $1195

The asking price is firm.
       Showing by appointment Friday - Saturday - Sunday

ATTENTION:
       Due to the high level of SPAM activity on eugene.craigslist.org; All interested buyers must include a PHONE NUMBER to receive a response. All inquiries sent without a valid phone number will be ignored and promptly deleted/blocked.

Stop paying for animal cruelty and slaughter. Go vegan! [url="https://challenge22.com/"]https://challenge22.com/[/url]

1967 W110 Universal Wagon, Euro, Turbo Diesel, Tail Fins, 4 Speed Manual Column Shift, A/C
1980 W116 300SD Turbo Diesel, DB479 Walnut Brown, Sunroof, Heated Seats, 350,000+

Squiggle Dog

Here are the seller's email responses (commentary is in red):

Scott,

This car is ready for you, come and get it.

Yes, a Black 1980 300SD, tan interior. Don't have the VIN handy at the moment. Car runs and drives fine (what about the bad transmission?). Just drove it up from San Francisco where it had been sitting in storage for several months (I had seen this car advertised in different Oregon cities for a couple of years, and the paperwork I have for the car shows nothing but Oregon addresses for repair work for the last decade. I don't believe for one moment the car was in storage, either). Had zero problems on that 600+ mile trip.. was smooth the whole way up, even over the passes. Body in good shape, no rust or dents (A lie, car has dents all over, especially the driver door, and there is some rust). I don't have space to store it, and intend to have this car sold by Sunday.

First come first serve.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Scott

I did get your voice message. Thanks for calling. To be honest I am a bit reluctant (I guess dishonest people are not trusting), because I have been burned by No Show craigslist responders before, recently. I also have a guy who looked at the car today but was only willing to offer me 1,000. I told him I had to get back to you first. I will take 1,100, but no less (no room for negotiation) as I have already lowered the price 500.00 (He actually raised the price $500. The last time I saw it for sale it was listed at $700!). You must promise to show up Sunday in the daylight hours.

As for the vehicle, the body is flawless (Are you joking? It was obviously in a wreck as the front end parts didn't line up and the fender was repaired and repainted at some point. The trim was bent up, too), beside the previously mentioned clear coat peeling up (yeah, that was worth mentioning). The interior of the car is in very good shape (it was in terrible shape, showing extreme wear and abuse; almost every interior piece was damaged, sunburned, torn, and needed replacement). The heating/air control button cluster needs to be remounted to the wooden bezel, and is currently loose fitted in place. The rear seat is mis matched color, it is blue (and too small). The CD player sometimes won't play burned CD's (the speakers were ripped out and the CD player wouldn't even turn on). Also, the original front floor mats are missing, sad really, because they are such nice fits in these cars. The rear driver side door only opens from the inside. The sun roof and two passenger windows are working. The door locks are intermittent, suspect a leaky vacuum system (I doubt they have worked in over a decade). I was told by my mechanic that this is why the blower motor won't always engage (blower motor was dead), and also why the transmission shifts are off (the ad never mentioned a bad transmission). He was going to charge me $400 to fix the vacuum system.
The drive line, flex-disks, drive line yoke, rear axles and rear differential are all brand new (This was the biggest lie of all. All of these parts were original. The flex discs were cracked, frayed and ready to give out. The axle boots were cracked. All other parts were rusty and old looking.). The engine and turbo are strong (the turbo was seized and non-working). The transmission is good (But what about the late shifts? The transmission really was worn out and needed rebuilding.). The suspension and front alignment are A+ (the steering was bad and the alignment shop told me that the alignment was way off).

Can you promise to be timely on Sunday?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I rode the train, then the bus, to Eugene, Oregon from Tacoma, Washington (a 6 hour trip done for the second time that month when I looked at another car that I passed on because it was a scammer and I had to spend another 6 hours returning). The seller met me at the bus station with the vehicle running and said he was in a hurry.

I quickly looked over the car and though it looked way rougher than I had expected, I figured I was going to repaint it anyway and I had spare interior parts. At least (so I thought) the mechanical parts were all good and I was thinking of all the money in new parts I was getting with the new master cylinder, differential, axles, etc. I also didn't want to go back home empty-handed again, so I gave the guy the cash.

Here's the kicker--the guy didn't even have the title! I did get it eventually after months of begging.

I brought a bunch of CDs to listen to but the CD player wouldn't turn on and I noticed that the speakers were missing. I noticed right away when I drove off that the transmission was having issues and the car lacked the power that my last 300SD had. I couldn't hear the turbo at all and when I was on the freeway the engine was loud and making rumbling noises.

The seller sold me the car with an empty fuel tank and I wasn't even sure I was going to make it to the fuel station. The temperature gauge started to go up as I neared the station and once I got off the freeway the transmission wouldn't shift out of third gear.

I filled the fuel tank at the station and after the car had cooled off a bit I checked the coolant level--there was none in the reservoir! So I bought some coolant and it was one-and-a-half gallons low! I couldn't see any leaks.

I started up the car and it wouldn't shift out of second gear. I couldn't get the car to go up past 10 miles per hour, so I pulled off of the road and noticed that the vacuum line to the transmission had fallen off. I pulled a piece of hose off of another vacuum connection and reattached the line. I was really starting to worry if this car was going to make it back to Tacoma. But, the car finally shifted and I was able to make it the rest of the way home.

After I got home I looked at the brake reservoir and noticed it was almost empty. I put in brake fluid but it ran back out. I started checking out the car and discovered that it was totally trashed and all of the parts that were supposed to be brand new were in fact in need of immediate replacement.

The seller's response to this was:

Strange. I checked the coolant level last weekend before showing the car and it looked mostly full, or at least I thought it was.
Paper work on the car will be @ DMV in the morning, keep an eye on your mail for the title in the next two weeks.

And:

Sorry to hear! I am by no means a mechanic, and just have to trust what I am told. It breaks me to think of the 2,400 I gave trackside auto to fix it. Damn!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, this is my experience with purchasing this car. I really wish I had been able to find a better Walnut Brown W116 300SD with sunroof and had avoided this clown, but like I said, it was the only one I could find in the color I wanted (or at least it used to be that color) and with a sunroof, so I jumped on it. If I was not so picky on the color and/or wanting a sunroof then I could have gotten a much better car for the money, but I knew my options were limited and I am surprised I was even able to find one. In the end it will be worth it because I will have exactly the car I want, but it would have been nice to have dealt with an honest seller or at least had room to negotiate the price.
Stop paying for animal cruelty and slaughter. Go vegan! [url="https://challenge22.com/"]https://challenge22.com/[/url]

1967 W110 Universal Wagon, Euro, Turbo Diesel, Tail Fins, 4 Speed Manual Column Shift, A/C
1980 W116 300SD Turbo Diesel, DB479 Walnut Brown, Sunroof, Heated Seats, 350,000+

ulysees

You're one funny dude buddy! 
This is a great SD story. I pity the poor folks in other parts of the world where they can't get this model.
Mine's an '80 too # 21923 Feb. 623 Ivory/Tabac, i also have # 6062 Jan '79 825 Deep Green/Bamboo.
Both have body problems but drive well, and things mostly work but they leak and will need garaging and
resealing, but they are the best driving machines i've owned. I've owned new 124's and 107's and 201's.
These ancient 116's top them all and with the 617 diesel...  mmmmhhmmm.

What vehicle did you get  the manual window regulators out of ??

Good luck with your hunting. I have a bamboo back seat and i'm half way up Vancouver Island but its rusty,and the padding has disintegrated. I'm just going to get my local upholsterer to rebuild it with firm
good quality foam, something that will stand up for another 10 years, the covers are surprisingly in good condition, how do they do that after 30+ years??   Mercedes...

koan

Quote from: ulysees on 21 December 2010, 02:34 AM
This is a great SD story. I pity the poor folks in other parts of the world where they can't get this model.

Pity me :)

I'd love a diesel 116, were they sold in RHD markets?

koan
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

Squiggle Dog

What vehicle did you get  the manual window regulators out of ??

The manual window regulators came from a Euro-spec 1978 W116 450SE. I have only seen one USA-spec W116 that came with factory manual windows, and it was a 280S. No other chassis window regulators will interchange with the W116.

Squiggle Dog

Quote from: koan on 21 December 2010, 02:37 PM

Pity me :)

I'd love a diesel 116, were they sold in RHD markets?

koan

I saw a RHD 1980 W116 300SD from a member in India. He said it was a Canadian model that he had exported and converted. It seems to me that the turbocharger and air cleaner would get in the way of the steering components. Sadly, the 300SD was a fluke that was only sold in North America to help satisfy EPA requirements.

Squiggle Dog

I would like to install one of these custom zebrano wood instrument panel covers (available here: http://cgi.ebay.com/Tachoblende-Tacho-Mercedes-W-107-R107-SL-SLC-Zebrano-/250523796231?pt=Autoteile_Zubeh%C3%B6r&hash=item3a5461c307 ):

Also, my center console wood is going to be sent off to Heritage Woodworks to have the holes cut for the front seat heater switches.

Bealiah75

Quote from: Squiggle Dog on 06 August 2010, 09:45 PM
Thanks for the compliment. I used to draw a lot when I was in high school. Now that I've graduated I've had low-income jobs (I make $16,000USD a year as a furniture mover). I'd love to have a career in art, but have been so busy with work that I haven't had time lately to hone my skills. I haven't lost my talent, it just takes much longer than it used to. I want to practice more and then eventually work my way into commissioned art.

I think although a furniture mover has a low salary it is a noble and clean job. I have a friend who also works on furniture. He got a lot of friends from different customers because he is really trustworthy and responsible to his work.

Squiggle Dog

Quote from: Bealiah75 on 29 December 2010, 01:17 AM
I think that although a furniture mover has a low income it is noble and peoples who hire these persons are really trusted. I have a friend that also work on furniture's moving company and he have many friends and we trust him because his trust is already tested in his work. Furniture moving is a bit of a hard work too because it is difficult moving heavy furniture's so for me it is one of coolest jobs.

Thank you for the encouragement.

Squiggle Dog

Look what showed up in the mail! I thought I would never be able to purchase something like this. It doesn't have the hole for the clock adjustment knob as shown in the auction. I guess I could drill it but I'm afraid of chipping the finish. I asked the seller about it and maybe they can send one with the hole in it.

koan

Whatever you decide to do DON'T just put a drill bit down the hole in the back. If you did, it would make a mess when it brakes through the front.

koan
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

s class

That looks very nice.  I've not seen pictures of it aside from the seller's publicity shots.  Is the coating real wood veneer?  Looking from the back at the location where the clock adjustment knob is supposed to be, it looks like it just might be. 

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

Squiggle Dog

Yes, it's a real wood veneer. I am communicating with the seller trying to return it to Germany so I can have one sent with the hole for the clock. They say to try to drill it myself, but for as much money as I spent, I shouldn't have to drill any holes and risk damaging it. The auction pic even shows the hole being there.

geospine

Nice man, I really like the Brown on Tan custom interior and the shiny new trim.
I thought the first rims looked good too but the bunts just have that classic appeal. I was planning on putting 205/80r14 tires on my 79 300sd until I read this, how are you liking the 185/80r14's? they are both fairly rare sizes and will take some time to track down.
Also I think the thin whitewall looks better than full whitewall, which would just look too formal, like a hearse.

Why the switch to all manual regulators? was it just too much effort to keep the electrical system operating? both of my front regulators grind when engaged and after tearing the door apart found that the back plates are bent so the gears don't quite line up any more. It just goes to show what kind of torque the system has to deal with.

Your narration of your experiences is quite engaging and informative, 
Keep it up.

Squiggle Dog

Quote from: geospine on 21 January 2011, 03:18 AM
Nice man, I really like the Brown on Tan custom interior and the shiny new trim.
I thought the first rims looked good too but the bunts just have that classic appeal. I was planning on putting 205/80r14 tires on my 79 300sd until I read this, how are you liking the 185/80r14's? they are both fairly rare sizes and will take some time to track down.
Also I think the thin whitewall looks better than full whitewall, which would just look too formal, like a hearse.

Why the switch to all manual regulators? was it just too much effort to keep the electrical system operating? both of my front regulators grind when engaged and after tearing the door apart found that the back plates are bent so the gears don't quite line up any more. It just goes to show what kind of torque the system has to deal with.

Your narration of your experiences is quite engaging and informative, 
Keep it up.

The wheels I put on at first were 15"X7" Centra wheels. I liked the look but one of the star logos was broken and I couldn't find a replacement anywhere. All of the ones I found were too small. Same with the covers the logos mounted on. They must have been a first edition set or something. None of the Centra parts I could find were compatible, so it was too much of a pain. The wheels were also very heavy and got in the way of the brake bleeder screws.

I actually have 195/75R14s on now and I really like them. They ride nice and the steering is so much easier than with the wider, lower profile tires. I want to get wide whitewalls but they are outrageously expensive (in the correct size), unless I made my own by grinding off the black rubber on the sidewall.

I switched to manual window regulators because, unless they have been properly maintained for most of their life, electric windows are a constant source of trouble. The switches tend to go bad, though they can be opened up and cleaned. The motors seem to last forever but the regulators will warp easily and cause the aluminum guide bars to bend as well. In my experience they are very unreliable and expensive to fix. When they do work it is usually very slowly. I think it's too many parts just to move a window up and down. I like simplicity.