Author Topic: My Custom 1980 300SD Project Part 2  (Read 8968 times)

Squiggle Dog

• W116 Addict
  • MBCA Member
Re: My Custom 1980 300SD Project Part 2
« Reply #195 on: 12 June 2019, 12:38 AM »
I got the rear of the car back together and took it on a short test drive. The work I did checks out. But, the car is not currently safe to drive as the front end was clunking, the steering wheel is off-center, and the right tie rod keeps popping out of joint. So now to start on the front end rebuild. The nice thing about ceramic brake pads is they don't leave brake dust all over.

There doesn't seem to be anywhere good to support the front of the vehicle other than with jack stands underneath the cross yoke. But, it has to come out to have the bushings replaced. So, I decided I would remove it first, replace the bushings, install it, and then support the car on jack stands under it while I take the rest of the front end apart. It's held on with 24mm bolts and nuts. But, I don't have a 24mm socket or wrench. I have a 15/16" socket which fits on the bolt heads, but the nuts are obscured in a way that a socket won't fit on them, so a wrench must be used. I don't have $7 to buy a 24mm wrench, so I used an adjustable wrench and ended up rounding the nuts. Sigh. I got them off, at least. Then the yoke drops down.

The bushings have open spaces at the sides.

I'm broke, so I tried to find creative ways of getting the bushings out. This way worked to get one halfway out, then I used a hammer and a socket to drive it out the rest of the way.

Then when I went to remove the second bushing, the head of the bolt came off so I couldn't use it anymore. I then tried using a 3-jaw puller, and it actually worked better than the bolt and socket method. But if I had the money I would have just bought the proper tool.
Stop paying for animal cruelty and slaughter. Go vegan! https://challenge22.com/

1967 W110 Universal Wagon, Euro, Turbo Diesel, Tail Fins, 4 Speed Manual Column Shift, A/C
1980 W116 300SD Turbo Diesel, DB479 Walnut Brown, Sunroof, Heated Seats, 347,000+

TJ 450

• W116 Addict
    • Tim's Insulators Downunder
« Reply #196 on: 12 June 2019, 03:50 AM »
Just behind the cross yoke is a solid section you can support it with, this is what I have done in the past.

With the bushings, I removed them in a similar way, with a bit of trial and error. Re installation isn’t too bad but a press helps.

Are you doing the lower ball joints as well? The special tool is required here, and would be worth getting when financial as I’ve had a couple of sets ruined by reputable shops.

Being broke is all part of the fun, I’m approaching that stage now.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394

Squiggle Dog

• W116 Addict
  • MBCA Member
« Reply #197 on: 12 June 2019, 10:41 AM »
Just behind the cross yoke is a solid section you can support it with, this is what I have done in the past.

With the bushings, I removed them in a similar way, with a bit of trial and error. Re installation isn’t too bad but a press helps.

Are you doing the lower ball joints as well? The special tool is required here, and would be worth getting when financial as I’ve had a couple of sets ruined by reputable shops.

Being broke is all part of the fun, I’m approaching that stage now.

Tim

I'll have to inspect that area. Good to know. All I could find were box tubing sections which looked like they would dent or crush holding the weight of the vehicle.

I'm doing the lower ball joints. I know a W116 owner who works at the Mercedes dealership here who knows how to do it. So, I can take them there, but will have to come up with some money for that (and the alignment, and fuel to go to an alignment shop). But, it will cost less than buying the tool.
Stop paying for animal cruelty and slaughter. Go vegan! https://challenge22.com/

1967 W110 Universal Wagon, Euro, Turbo Diesel, Tail Fins, 4 Speed Manual Column Shift, A/C
1980 W116 300SD Turbo Diesel, DB479 Walnut Brown, Sunroof, Heated Seats, 347,000+

ptashek

• W116 Addict
  • W116 owner
    • History of ZV9485
« Reply #198 on: 12 June 2019, 11:38 AM »
This should help visually. That's the factory prescribed lifting area for the front of the car. There's two holes in it, which were used to position and lock special MB workshop jacks (essentially a flat plate with centering bolts).
1993 "Pearl Blue" W124 280TE
1979 "Icon Gold" W116 450SE (history, resto)
1977 "Milan Brown" W116 350SE (parted out)

Squiggle Dog

• W116 Addict
  • MBCA Member
« Reply #199 on: 12 June 2019, 12:33 PM »
This should help visually. That's the factory prescribed lifting area for the front of the car. There's two holes in it, which were used to position and lock special MB workshop jacks (essentially a flat plate with centering bolts).

Thanks! It looks pretty sturdy. I was considering supporting it there if I could find something stable enough so it wouldn't rock or slide out from under it. Very clean car in the picture, too!

ptashek

• W116 Addict
  • W116 owner
    • History of ZV9485
« Reply #200 on: 12 June 2019, 04:21 PM »

Thanks! It looks pretty sturdy. I was considering supporting it there if I could find something stable enough so it wouldn't rock or slide out from under it. Very clean car in the picture, too!

I wish it were this clean still...

As for the jacking point for the front axle - I remember there was a post here, a few years back now, with the exact measurements of that support plate. I think it's also included in the official workshop manuals.

Shouldn't be too hard to measure it off of the car either.

I've used in the past, with good results, a standard workshop jack with a piece of rough timber slightly larger than the support plate. But I wouldn't recommend it for working under the car for long periods - probably not the safest thing to do.
1993 "Pearl Blue" W124 280TE
1979 "Icon Gold" W116 450SE (history, resto)
1977 "Milan Brown" W116 350SE (parted out)

Squiggle Dog

• W116 Addict
  • MBCA Member
« Reply #201 on: 13 June 2019, 09:21 PM »
Yeah, supporting the front end of the car by just that center part of the body for days or weeks on end sounds scary.

The edge of one of the mounting eyes for the lower control arm was flattened out, so I hammered it back into shape.

New cross yoke bushings (116-333-56-15) are no longer available from Mercedes, so I was forced to buy aftermarket. Meyle was the only brand I could find. Even though the rubber reads "Meyle Germany", they are made in Thailand. But, they were cheap. I got them on eBay for $6.95 a pair plus $6.95 shipping.

I got some money from my roommate and bought a long bolt and a nut and washers (and also a 24mm wrench) so I could press in the new bushings. I used dish soap as a lubricant.

There are supposed to be open spaces on the sides.

I put Corroseal rust converter on the cross yoke to make it look nice and protect it from rust.