News:

www.W116.org - The #1 resource for our W116! Established 2004

Main Menu

My Cars Or.. An extended Intro

Started by Tony66_au, 28 June 2012, 07:19 AM

Tony66_au

And yes I know the oil is black, its Shell Rimula X which is a high detergent Diesel engine oil.

The oil is 6 months old and has maybe 600 km use and I use it in recent aquisitions to decarbon the engine.

Id say its working well no?

this time around she gets a gutfull of Nulon 15w40 for a tank or 2 and then im not sure what next, it depends on the engine condition after its lil oil spill

oversize

Wow that's some oil leak!!!  I don't have sand, so to me that = lots of rags!
1979 6.9 #5541 (Red Bull)
1978 6.9 #4248 (Skye)
1979 6.9 #3686 (Moby Dick)
1978 6.9 #1776 (Dora)
1977 450SEL #7010 white -P
1975 450SEL #8414 gold -P

Tony66_au

Ahhh well rule number 1 for me is always have a cubic meter of Packing sand handy and a few cheapy bags of kitty litter.

The oil has now well and truly soaked into the sand and bled through in patched which copped another shovel full.

Once I have fixed the oil line leak to the cooler and the car drives again I will back the car off the sand and hit the sand with a strong mix of caustic parts cleaner which will break the oil down and further mix it into the sand and then a day later I can shovel the whole lot up into my 6 x 4 trailer with a black plastic liner for its final trip to the contaminated soil disposal at the local tip or I can add it to my driveway and fill some holes.

All part and parcel of having run a few repair shops with trade assistants who forget shit like sump plugs when doing client car services, And yes this guy forgot more than once.

Sadly my garage floor isnt painted with epoxy so the stains will live on.

Tony66_au

Just a few test piccies from my album

and

Double chock

TJ 450

Yes, I have wondered about those oil cooler hoses. Was there some sort of external damage, or did it seem to just rupture of its own accord?

That is a lot of oil indeed.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

Tony66_au

Umm well on close inspection with a megawatt halogen it seems the hose has been cut and rejoined using a piece of pipe and 2 hose clamps........................

Maybe ok had the end of the joiner been knurled or flared and if the wormdrive clamps had been doubled and of a better quality but the ose is a high pressure crimped jobby to begin with to cope with the 50 plus PSI (3 bar plus) pressure to the cooler.

The previous owner said he had effected a repair after a front end failure but I thought it was under the car and didnt pay much attention to it.

I can now say with confidence that im paying attention to it, Lots of attention.

My fault for not picking it up I guess and once again you live and learn.

Tony66_au

The Culprit...

Or if you feel like squinting.........

oversize

I'm squinting but I can't see anything!!   ???
1979 6.9 #5541 (Red Bull)
1978 6.9 #4248 (Skye)
1979 6.9 #3686 (Moby Dick)
1978 6.9 #1776 (Dora)
1977 450SEL #7010 white -P
1975 450SEL #8414 gold -P

Tony66_au

Quote from: oversize on 10 December 2012, 03:29 AM
I'm squinting but I can't see anything!!   ???

Can you see the pics Mark?

Tony66_au

I realised that perhaps i had shorted you guys on pics of my toys.

The Evil Twins........

Tony66_au

Yes the Silver Rangie is being parted out, mainly because of the extortionate rates charged for 2nd hand Range Rover parts and because the Silver girl is pretty clapped out.

The alloy 225 cubic inch V8 is well below 80 psi on most slugs and has given us 11 years faithful service despite being constantly flogged and abused, the 3 speed Chrysler Torqueflite Auto has hauled  car trailers, stumps, Horse floats with a few ton of horse and dragged a 5 ton machinery plant float 600 km with little complaint.

Breakages have been minimal and usually due to extreme abuse and yet she has persevered with little more than a pat on the dash and a "Good girl" after a workout.

Mods? Not really.

Swapped the twin Zeniths for a Carter 2bbl early on, uprated the alternator to a Bosch 120amp unit to deal better with the factory twin battery setup and I replaced the front end and cabin loom with a new custom unit I made because the old loom had so many scotchloks and breaks from accessories that I just started again from scratch.
I also did the heads, added hardened valve seats because she had a blown gasket when I bought her.

For an Auto she spent most of her life being manual shifted because the auto is way too big for the lack of power the 3.5's suffer from and this actually did make her get up and boogie a bit more than usual and was great for mud drifting at speed which I did a fair whack of in years gone by and surprisingly for a V8 this old girl made power to nearly 6000 rpm and really only started working between 4000 and 6000.

So now she is a TowJoe, permanently in low range with bits missing everywhere and other vital bits substituted for the busted bits taken to make the black Rangie roadworthy (Steering box et al).

Weirdly neither of these old girls leak oil or suffer electrical problems and hav yet to live down to their reputation although they are both luddite models with hand crank glass etc juuust in case Lord Lucas, Prince of Darkness should feel the need to strike.

Tony66_au

Ofcourse keeping some of this handy helps with reliability.

Tony66_au

Back to Mercs..........

My W124 230TE got popped away so I didnt take to it with things large and heavy because after spending a lot of time and money on her I found that id have to spend more time and money on her so it was off to the norty corner.

Tony66_au

Does anyone have a copy of the EPC for the entire rear end of a 1987 W124 230TE.

So far I have replaced both rear wheel bearings (Huge suckers they are too), fitted new SLS pods, refurbished the leveling valve, replaced the flex discs and I have the front set of rear X member chassis mounts and will be replacing them and the rears when I drop the bum out.

My Problem is that there seem to be shim sleeves in the carrier for the rear wheel hub where the bearing presses in and somewhere along the line one has gone missing or slipped out.

I didnt do the side thats stuffed/missing the shim but I either need another shim or 2nd hand parts to make the right rear good again and sadly the missing shim has dragged the whole rear X member sideways and buggered the mounts.

New is fine hence my needing the EPC so I know what to order and im guessing that the rear axle assy is unique to the W124 wagons with SLS setup.

The renewed interest is due to slight nagging from Jenna and my annoyance has faded to the stage where im no longer likely to swear the air blue at the sight of the car.

Cheers,
Tony

Tony66_au

While im posting I thought id show the massive bearings.

Some of you may have read my occasional rants on parts pricing disparity...

This is what a nearly $900 bearing looks like.

Just as well it ended up costing around $130.

Still thats a huge FAG, twin row and heavy as hell