News:

The ORG - No back-slapping boys club!

Main Menu

My Cars Or.. An extended Intro

Started by Tony66_au, 28 June 2012, 07:19 AM

Tony66_au

Im enjoying my time here at the Org so much I thought id best do the right thing and get my post count up
Introduce my cars.

My first Mercedes was a working car, chauffeur or Town Car and it was a 1989 W126 300SEL

Great car and impressed the hell out of me and we did many many miles together ferrying business people politicians and celebrities around including winery tours etc.

The car wasnt very old when I got her and she was reliable as youd expect doing roughly 300 km per day sometimes 7 days a week year in year out.

Tony66_au

So many years go by without a Mercedes and im on the hunt again with fond memories of my W126 but every car I looked at was shabby and had huge mileage or was neglected and in need of serious work regardless of what the seller said.

So I settled for a W124 230TE, and on this car I cut my MB Teeth properly as it was a sub 2 grand car with huge miles and a lot of neglect.

Tony66_au

The car looked far better in the pictures than in real life.......

Tony66_au

At some stage she has been hit hard on the right, mid frontal and then back along the side.
The left rear door too had been replaced and the boggery was not very good plus the patchwork paintjob was beginning to fail and there are 3 different shades on the thing.

However Credit where it is due this old girl hauled my family around faithfully for pretty much 2 years but she recently developed rear subframe issues that made me pull her off the road for a full workup and repair after which she may or may not be sold.

Which is a difficult call as I've just spent money on rear wheel bearings, she is about to get new tyres, I fitted 2 new Febi SLS pods and valve gear (New Hydro fluid of course and a flush) plus a whole new major service kit with only the belt tensioner and timing chain/guides whatever to do plus I will have a look at the cam while I have the sprockets off.

An Auto service will then follow and I have to fit all the front end gear as well, So she probably wont be sold lol.

Tony66_au

Anyway, about 3 months after the 230 I started looking at S classes again and went to check a 450SEL By mistake,  A K jet car with all the gear and by the time I rocked up to look the thing was sold out from under me but the bug bit and bit HARD.

SO after a bit more searching I came home with my first 116, a 1977 Topaz Brown 450SE.

Tony66_au

More tomorrow
What... Tomorrow already?

Sales pics, Note the difference lol

Nice interior methinks....

Tony66_au

Tony66_au

I didnt have to buy the car, but I did anyway and drove her home 300 km.

Sadly she is on LPG and wont run on fuel but her body condition means she needs some TLC with a welder and she is handy for parts borrowing.

So, Im on a forum reading away and a gent there has this 74 D jet 450SEL for sale or parts with 700 something thousand km.

I read back through his threads and the vehicle has been well maintained but recently suffered front end chassis issues which have since been welded up but the Gent has decided to upgrade anyway.

The car is basically for sale at scrap prices and I suspect the front end failure has worried a few members so the thing sits with the deadline drawing closer for the scrap metal death.

Problem is that i go through stages where I have zero spare cash and I let the seller know and we come to an arrangement.

I think we are both happy that this car hasnt gone to scrap and I arrange to pick the car up complete with a boot load of bits, and a back seat load.

Off home a few hundred km and this time i know I have found "The One".

Oh my god these D jets are a MONSTER, the difference in power is very noticeable and she eats the highway miles with ease.

Yes she has a few issues but is as honest as you could hope for and well documented.

Tony66_au

Slowly slowly the Green SEL has been sorted out, refurbished AAV and retune to base settings has sorted the high idle issues back down to 800 rpm when warm.

Some small rust issues and some basic servicing of filters (Oil, fuel and air) and a timing chain check, She also has some door rust which is being attended to and a new windscreen will see her ready for the road again.

And for those of you who think D jetronic systems are a black art?

They are actually closer to modern EFI that the K jet mechanical systems and deliver far more torque and power in my opinion that their later brethren.

The added bonus is that both the roof and central locking work well although the paintwork has been damaged.

All in all a great car.

Tony66_au

A few more

The road to salvation!

Tony66_au

This was pretty much the last time I worked on her sorting out the idle and cleaning the engine bay.

FILTH!

Not so much filth

The high idle culprit FIXED!

Tony66_au

I've just noticed that not all my photos are loaded into Photobucket but I have found my post AAV repair test run video which is too peppered with swear words to post here (And makes me sound like a wanker, well even more).

So back to this thread a little later.

For those who have read about these cars elsewhere ignore the timeline as it wont be 100% although the order of acquisition is right, and as I find bits and pieces as well as a tute on AAV's I will add them here if thats ok?

More later,

Tony

foss

Great post Tony as they say a picture says a thousand words. You must have a few stories about your VHA days picking up celebs and pollies any come to mind.
1979 450sel 6.9 SOLD BACK TO ROBERT D.
2002 745i
1978 450sel 148,000kms SOLD
2004 S430
2019 S350D AMG line

Mforcer

Yes, great post! Thanks for sharing.
Michael
1977 450SE [Brilliant Red]
2006 B200

TJ 450

That's a good insight to your collection. :)

This sort of thing is always a good read, and thanks for sharing the pics.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500