News:

The W116 Library - The definitive W116 resource!

Main Menu

My Cars Or.. An extended Intro

Started by Tony66_au, 28 June 2012, 07:19 AM

TJ 450

Those 15" rims appear to be Centras, and seem to be quite hard to find. The 16" versions are probably the hardest to find and in my opinion quite desirable (says I, who gave a set away! We live and learn.).

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

Tony66_au

Tim they are not Centra's sadly and I thought I posted up the details somewhere but it must have been elsewhere Sooooooooo.

And if you should feel so inclined............

Same wheels minus center caps on a 124!

Berserk offset though it actually made it handle far better by adding a good 6 inches to the rear track.......

oversize

Here's a set of genuine Centras on one of my cars:

Funny that I saw a green 450SEL parked at work today with exactly the same wheels!!!  Very rare indeed and sadly I didn't have time to get a pic, but did leave my card....
1979 6.9 #5541 (Red Bull)
1978 6.9 #4248 (Skye)
1979 6.9 #3686 (Moby Dick)
1978 6.9 #1776 (Dora)
1977 450SEL #7010 white -P
1975 450SEL #8414 gold -P

oversize

And in the foreground of this pic I have a few spares that I was lucky to find:

1979 6.9 #5541 (Red Bull)
1978 6.9 #4248 (Skye)
1979 6.9 #3686 (Moby Dick)
1978 6.9 #1776 (Dora)
1977 450SEL #7010 white -P
1975 450SEL #8414 gold -P

Tony66_au

Quote from: gf on 18 September 2012, 09:58 PM
wow tony! thats a pretty cool collection you got there! So you prefer the looks of the 116 over the 126 I take it? Say did you ever drive one of those four eyed ford ltds in your limo work? All the auxillaries on those 450 engines look so much more accessible than on my 280se. Its pretty amazing what a good polish does to a filthy old benz!!

116 over 126? Sure.

Its about the Chrome but the styling helps too, the 126 is a more insulated drive where the 116 is more visceral in nature with feedback to the driver available should he or she choose to take note of it.

As for 4 eyed LTD's?

Last one like that I recall was the P6 (?) and no, im not that old although I had one in copper bronze with a 351 and it was a fun thing.

As for the 450's being easier to work on? Absoflogginlutely because its all on top!

Tony66_au

Quote from: TJ 450 on 18 September 2012, 06:47 AM
Someone used Tek screws on my 280, not good.

Anyhow, if you find some decent sized mudguard washers to slot in there, then you could use grommets and the like to pack it out.

Tim

Problem sorted!

A while ago I removed the factory roof rack from my Volvo wagon, an item fixed to the roof with expanding rubber plugs with a threaded collett at the end which expanded the plug when the nice stainless screw was tightened.

Also useful for mounting front number plates.........

And Voila!

Tony66_au

And finally a cleaner version of my new toy!

Scuse the windows and water marks on chrome and duco...........

Tony66_au

Quote from: oversize on 19 September 2012, 07:03 AM
Here's a set of genuine Centras on one of my cars:

Funny that I saw a green 450SEL parked at work today with exactly the same wheels!!!  Very rare indeed and sadly I didn't have time to get a pic, but did leave my card....

LMAO @ leaving your card.............

See the difference between the real Centra's and the wannabe's............

mine are 15" x 6.5" and yours are 16" x 8" and look horn on the car!

Mine are ok and may look better polished but I prefer yours which is why I left the Bundt's on the SEL plus they have new Toyo's on em so I have a set of tyres before I have to source rubber again and possibly find larger rims.

TJ 450

I'm pretty certain 15" Centras exist too, I could be wrong though.

The 16s were the ones I gave away;

They need a polish and clear coat though. The plus side is they went to a 126 enthusiast.

Nice work with the number plate mounting Tony. 8)

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

gf

Wow Tony! Im gonna give that bumper bar- licence plate idea a go! an old granny scolded me 6 months ago for my improvised dental floss attachment! "oh thats such a beutiful mercedes but thats just disgusting!" she said.- its held up pretty well though!

Tony66_au

Id say that any rubber grommet would do but I called Bilia Volvo's spares dept and they said they had them in stock so id think other Volvo dealers may as well.

the other option is to find a 700 series wagon at a wreckers and remove the roof rack to scavenge the rubber mounts and stainless screws.

Tony66_au

Actually I will take a few pics of the spares and post em up in the morning with the brand name etc

Tony66_au

Everybody loves a bit of Brown........ Right?

Brown cars can be funny things, some shades just look crap depending on the shape of the car, style etc and even Mercedes Benz have made some shockers...

Milan Brown is a known colour and a metallic which looks ok when well kept, Topaz Brown is however one of those non metallic colours that can look bloody awful and usually in Photo's its just that and being close to Mission Brown the scourge of fence paint and bad trim colours people automatically think and often say YUCK!

Most of you are familiar with my Silver Green 450SEL which I finally finished and got on the road but this was infact the 2nd W116 I have owned with the first being This car.

Tony66_au

Often seen in the background of my pictures, sad and neglected like the proverbial Red Haired stepchild the car is a 1977 450SE, Topaz Brown, MB Tex interior in I don't know what colour but it looks like nicotine stain brown.

The car has some issues but mechanically its very good being prepped for a Road worthy certificate and registered 6 months before I bought the car.

The previous owner had spent a bomb on front end and suspension, steering etc but his new wife hated the car so it sat and sat until I bought her.

I then trekked from the east of the state to the far west of the state and drove the car home on a permit some 300 something km, a nice enough trip after having a starter motor fitted.

The bad points...........

The car has been smashed and repaired at some stage in the distant past.

The work was good but over the years the new paint and the old paint changed, there is also a small amount of rust and I'm currently investigating the possability of more rust.

The interior is ok but the front seat bolsters (Side squabs..  SQUUUUUUUUAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAB) have collapsed but apart from a few missing trim bits she is honest enough.

Now the worst bits, The car has LPG fitted.......  and the K jet system has been neglected to the point where it wont work on fuel under 3000 RPM ish.

It was also a bastard to start on LPG which led to the death of the starter id say.

So my K jet education began and then stopped, chucked in the too hard basket when the green 450 came along and my D jet skills improved but now im pretty much done with work on the D jet 450 the time came to either fix or part out the Brown 450.

The criteria was it had to start first pop and idle ok and within a few moments be ok to drive away.

Well this morning I hit that goal so she stays and gets attention.

So more recce work and a thorough inspection begins..........

Tony66_au

Some daylight pics from just after I got her a few years ago.