News:

The ORG - No shonky business!

Main Menu

My Cars Or.. An extended Intro

Started by Tony66_au, 28 June 2012, 07:19 AM

Tony66_au

test

motec6.9

Hi Mark tbi ea engines were 3.2 and3.9litres mpi was 3.9 . The 4.0 engine became standard in the eb . From ef the head was changed and it went to coil pack ignition the next major update was au which got a robed engine block and could run with coolant loss befor ba motor with twin cams and 4 valves. Geoff ps make sure tbi is not 3.2 very slow :)
Euro 6.9 255.6hp at the wheels. Watch this space.

oversize

Quote from: Tony66_au on 24 October 2012, 11:21 PM
test

I like the last one!  BTW thanks Geoff!  I used to work for Ford, so I should know!
1979 6.9 #5541 (Red Bull)
1978 6.9 #4248 (Skye)
1979 6.9 #3686 (Moby Dick)
1978 6.9 #1776 (Dora)
1977 450SEL #7010 white -P
1975 450SEL #8414 gold -P

Tony66_au

200 Cube 3.3 Geoff?

Had one in an EA I bought sight unseen years ago, was an S pack so I assumed a 3.9 Multi......

I assumed wrong lol

And yeah the pic play is due to a sudden interest in Picasa as a photo host, Photobucket has changed hands and may be on the way out of the new site is anything to go by lol

Ground control to Major Tom, Commencing countdown engines on... Check ignition and may you empty your farkin inbox.

Tony66_au

Oh and I spent most of yesterday with the missus doing a major tidy and re-organisation of the Garage....

3 x 20 foot bays and id be lucky in the past to have a bay and a half to work in...

Now I have 2 1/2 bays and the start of some semblance of order.

4 work benches, 1 x Paint table, my tool chest, lockup cabinet and a few sets of shelves.

Now I need lighting!

Tony66_au

Well the 280S is about to be dragged back into the Garage for a spruce up, I have found some more rust (Surprise!) and although its nothing major it will have to be repaired before the car can be club registered.

I have flushed the brake lines the old fashioned way and bled the system on all 4 corners, it also looks like the brakes were done not long before the car was parked up as the lines and hoses are in mint condition despite the age of the car.

I have also been driving the car around the farm a bit to exercise the suspension and see what shakes loose and had a good look underneath yesterday and she all seems pretty tight.

The farm tracks are quite solid and made of railway ballast/bluemetal rock with sanded sections but as they are farm tracks they exercise the suspension quite well at low speed and can test it to its limits of articulation so i figured that if anything was going to let go it would show up here.

I have to say that the rear end being sprung instead of hydraulic is quite noticeable but it also makes the car feel more capable off road and taking the rear overhang into account she does quite well.

thysonsacclaim

It's unfortunate about the 450 getting dragged out of the garage following the 280S leaving its position. It was only ever able to know one signal or another, but had problems knowing both at the same time.

In other news, Ray Bradbury prepared his crematorium for a new Courtesy Notice on yellow but not blue and red paper. It is starting to see an uptich in Der Spiegel.

Tony66_au

Well Adam im sure you will be pleased to know that 2 of the 3 bays in my Garage are occupied by W116's...

The 280S lays dormant awaiting parts and the Green SEL has pride of place in the middle of the floor.

Today I tackled a few issues including cleaning out the sunroof channels of rust flakes with my adapted vaccy suck crevice tool and another adaptor that sucks the drainage tubes clean.

It was suggested to me that I should blow the tubes clean but I have found that its usually safer to retreive stuff the way it went in and considering the near cyclonic 2 dollar crack whore suction my device was producing I went that way.

today also saw me spend a few hours cleaning glass and chrome and the windows are now spotless for the first time since I have owned this car, a voyage of discovery that led me to some grief as there is welding splatter on the right rear 1/4 glass but the job was made easy with my secret mix of Cloudy amonia, Water and Metho (Ethanol) which pretty much disolves grease, Nicotein and Armourall and then wipes dry leaving a streak free finish if you get the Ethanol/Metho quota correct.

You DO have to be careful around anodised aluminum trim as it strips the coating and im playing with cloudy ammonia and spare trim tomorrow in a vain attempt to find a slack way of de clouding trim.

I also brushed up the felt (Felt up?) bailey channel seals with a soft toothbrush attached to an old telescopic car aerial section and then hit the channel with WD40 Roller Door lube which makes fast glass fast again.

Went for a test run and noted a slight rumble from the front end so the bearings are on my hit list for tomorrow, I love the design of these things and suspect that removing the outer for inspection will tell me a story with the result being repack and re tension or replace.

I will also be replacing the MPS with a unit I have that is in good working order, I did a quick test on the unit in situ today the the existing one doesnt hold vacuum very well (I did the tongue test, suck on the end of some clean vac hose attached to the MPS and then seal the end of the hose with your tongue, if it doesnt hold for a count of 5 then the thing is leaking too much).

A quick blat to grab the kids from school without the air filter in place blew out any remaining cobwebs and by the end of tomorrow I should have put a few hundred km on the old girl before she goes back into the garage for some fine tuning, tweaks and a steering box swap.

As they are such a pain in the arse to get to I called my trusty mobile mechanic in to adjust the steering box (Hehe) and he dutifully tells me the box is out of adjustment and then quickly hands me the bill.

Fortunately I have 2 good spare boxes and because they weigh a ton Phil the trusty Mech gets to fit em, I suspect I will have to lure him here with the pretext of an oil change and Cam belt on the Volvo and then spring the box on him when he is under the car.

Tony66_au

Ah! I almost forgot.

Does anyone have a diagram that shows what the lube points are on a sunroof?

motec6.9

Hi Tony WGB posted about this in the past apparently there is a lubricant available it is made of Unobtaniam Mb want over $200 for a tin or with a bit of horse trading i believe WGB got it for under $60 . Or you could just contact the agent for Webasto in Australia and find out what the recomend you use as they made the original sunroofs fitted. http://www.webasto.com.au/home/ena/html/homepage.html  . Geoff  :)
Euro 6.9 255.6hp at the wheels. Watch this space.

Tony66_au

Unobtainium lol

Yeah im guessing its lithium grease or similar but im thinking after having another look just before im thinking a new set of weather seals and felt pads might not be a bad idea.

Sadly after the respray the underside of the sunroof at the front corners rusted due to condensation and id say that Alex the former owner didn't use the roof much so at some stage im going to have to do some tin work or find a replacement lid and im guessing its sunroof reco time about then.

I also went for a 40 km round trip to visit my darling wife who is in Hospital for a bit of day surgery that turned into late afternoon surgery and she didn't miss a beat and ran well.

I did have a worried moment listening to the intake until I realised id not put the air cleaner back on and then had some fun with induction roar although it was short lived as the old girl quickly hit 100 Kph even pulling hard up steep grades.

Getting closer to the half tank mark now too so time to top up the tank and get an economy figure.....

Stay tuned!

oversize

I use Vaseline to lube the sunroof tracks and it's far cheaper than unobtainium!!!!   ;)  And much cleaner than lithium (or any other) grease....
1979 6.9 #5541 (Red Bull)
1978 6.9 #4248 (Skye)
1979 6.9 #3686 (Moby Dick)
1978 6.9 #1776 (Dora)
1977 450SEL #7010 white -P
1975 450SEL #8414 gold -P

Tony66_au

I have a few large pots of Vas handy, used to have to pack holden oil pumps with the stuff to get the bastards to prime after rebuilding the V8's.

Well im renaming the Green SEL "Val" because not unlike the Exxon Valdese it dumped a shit load of oil on the garage floor today when I started her this morning and looking at the spray patterns its a busted oil line......

Its a bugger because I have a nice Series 1 Jag here with magic smoke issues and it looks like im working on the far side of the garage walking around a sand covered oil slick and an inert lump of benz.

Fortunately I have a Volvo for backup.

Tony66_au

Tony66_au