News:

The Org - Serving W116 Enthusiasts since 2004!

Main Menu

My biggest 6.9 adventure to date.

Started by Big_Richard, 30 December 2010, 01:18 AM

Big_Richard

when i went for my preliminary drive after fillup, i had an undercover car tailing me for quite some time, obviously running the plates to see if the cars registered /stolen.

I wasnt doing anything wrong so he carried on his way.

I never even get looked at in the company car, the 6.9 gets attention instantly.

TJ 450

I find it quite satisfying when the cops check you out and conclude that you are a law abiding citizen. Whenever I've attended a "Booze Bus" in the 6.9 they have commented on the car and asked what year it is too... 116's in general attract a fair bit of interest I reckon.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

Big_Richard

i forgot to mention typical west australian drivers on the forrest highway. When your driving along in the left lane minding your own business and come upto another vehicle in the left doing less that the speed limmit, you can almost always expect some attitude.

The usual deal is you can sit behind them for as long as you like and their speed will not change, but as soon as you go in the right lane to overtake miraculously their speed increases to match yours.

Not really an issue in the 6.9 as a slight crack of the throttle sees their peice of shit disapear into back ground anyway.

I kept that behavior to a minimum with double demerits and all  8)

SELfor50

Good to see you take the ol' girl on a well deserved cruise.

You need to get someone to pop out the sunroof and take pics while driving.

Good to hear that everything worked sweet.. and 430km's with a 3rd tank left is pretty good too.

nathan

MT,
u r brave indeed. the only time mine left the cbd was when i drove to dunsborough to surprise my wife and propose. the only reason i took the 6.9 was that she would never have guessed that i was going to keep driving out of the metro area in my beloved! i think i got about 18l/100km at the time. you also chose the bloody hottest time in the year to do it too!
1979 116 6.9 #6436
2018 213 e63
2011 212 e63
2011 463 g55
2007 211 e500 wagen
1995 124 e320 cabriolet
1983 460 300gd
1981 123 280te

Big_Richard

if the 6.9 keeps up the good behavior it will be making a regular appearance down south.

It actually makes driving enjoyable again.

I will time it to go at the crack of dawn, as the roads are most pleasant then. no arseholes and minimal traffic.

Jakob

Proposal seems to be a common theme with w116s. The only time ours has been driven more than 50kms is when I proposed. That day it got taken on a round trip from Adelaide to the Barossa and back (around 300km). Of course it may not have been the wisest decision as although the car performed faultlessly all day, it burnt a valve in the last 20km of the trip on the way back to tell my fiance's parents... We ended up having to leave the car on the side of the road and get a lift from her sister in law.

My fiance's exact words were "We can't tell my parents now. They'll think I'm going to spend the rest of my life in broken down cars".

Two years of ownership, only 1 full day of driving  ;D

TJ 450

To date I've driven over 25,000km in 116s and I've only been set back with one flat battery episode that turned out to be a loose terminal... , and a ruptured fuel hose at MT's house.

As long as everything is kept in check, there's nothing to worry about.

As for the burnt valve, I'll just say that it's the joys of LPG & a case of bad luck. Of course you could always get a bit too enthusiastic with the Nitrous injection and do it that way. ;D

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

Jakob

It also probably helps if you don't start with a $600 purchase from Ebay :D

john6007

I've been running my 116 (TJ 450's old 450SEL) from Perth to York and York to Northam once or twice a month, with some new tyres and control arm & bushes it a great country driver, I thought highways were what they were built for?
79 - 450SEL 6.9 #5628 &  #6466, 92 - 300CE-24, 98 - MX-5, 89 - Ducati 906 Paso

Big_Richard

Quote from: john6007 on 12 January 2011, 10:43 PM
I've been running my 116 (TJ 450's old 450SEL) from Perth to York and York to Northam once or twice a month, with some new tyres and control arm & bushes it a great country driver, I thought highways were what they were built for?

Glad to see this vehicle is still getting some use.

Let us know about everything you do to it  8)

Me and TJ have had many adventures in that car.

TJ 450

Nice work John6007, I concur with MT on that. I'm sure the suspension bushes have improved it vastly indeed, and it really is (was) great on those WA country roads.

I use my 6.9 in the same way whenever I get a chance.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

johnnyw116

the interior job looks perfect ! my new W116 needs an interior make over too  .     

greetings : johnny  .                 
JohnnyW116

gf

how long have you worked on this car for? looks amazing! even the side bumper trim is straight as a pin!

Big_Richard

i had everything re-chromed, but have never cleaned any of it once since having mounted it all back on the car. After a couple years in storage and being dirty it all looks like crap again. 4k down the toilet, oh well.

having never owned new chrome before i didn't know you had to put so much effort into keeping it clean - my motorcycle enthusiast friend told me about some product you buy for keeping chrome clean, ill have to get some one of these days. Actually doing it is another question.

the rubber strips on the doors are all original and all need to be replaced, thats on the todo list but never seem to get around to it.

I've owned it since 2003, admittedly the love affair is over and its more a sentimental piece now. I'll never buy another benz as the ones made these days, well.... i'll keep my opinion to my self for a change ;)