News:

The ORG - Truly Independent and Unbiased!

Main Menu

My 79 Canadian 450 SEL

Started by karmann_20v, 15 September 2013, 06:34 PM

Zaxxon

Quote from: karmann_20v on 06 July 2016, 07:51 PM
I'm not afraid of owning a 126, problem is that I may lose focus/interest in the 116 and I don't want that to happen. It is still a long way away from being completed, but I am happy with the way things are going now.

I hear you - happens to me from time to time. I am finally about to build a nice shop at my house with room for a few projects side by side, so that will help being able to actually have all the car-ADD in a way that doesn't hurt them ;)
---
Mercedes: '99 CL500, '86 500SEC, '96 SL500, '06 R500, '02 ML320, '78 450SEL
Porsche: '80 928S 5-Speed, '86.5 928S RogerBox '86.5 928S 5-Speed, '83 944
Others: '84 Callaway Alfa Romeo GTV6, '83 Tiara, '87 FZ

rumb

My daily winter driver is a W126 300SE.  It is a great car to drive. My summer car is a  SL500. :)
'68 250S
'77 6.9 Euro
'91 300SE,
'98 SL500
'14 CLS550,
'16 AMG GTS
'21 E450 Cabrio

karmann_20v

So with the sunroof rebuild going full speed ahead (here: http://forum.w116.org/interiors-and-exteriors/sunroof-is-stuck-in-the-almost-closed-position-help!-need-to-remove-the-liner/ ), I changed the spark plugs, wires, cap and rotor. I used this opportunity to do a compression test and the results are (cylinder 1 to 8 in psi): 140, 140, 145, 145, 145, 145, 145, 145. Not too shabby for a 275,000 mile engine (I assume it is original, but don't know for sure as I have no records for this car). I also found 2 vacuum lines disconnected and reconnecting them alone improved the way the engine runs and I think got rid of the stumbling issue - only moved the car back and forth on the driveway, can't do a test drive as the trunk is full of hardware parts nicely laid from the sunroof/interior trim removal and tools.

So far so good, next on the list I have the ignition timing advance. Even though yesterdayay was a bit cloudy, I could not see the timing light reading on the main pulley... Gonna do it at night during the week.

karmann_20v

I like how in the post on page 1 (July 4, 2016) I thought I dodged a bullet by not buying a C126, only to buy one in November 2017. And as I stated in that post I thought I would neglect the 116 which is exactly what happened. I should play the lottery I guess.

So here is the history:

-August 2017 the red '79 was sold and due to travel and work schedules I had to park the '77 with half of the interior disassembled
-November 2017 bought the C126 from British Columbia (fellow forum member Daantjie was instrumental in the transaction), I received the car in late December (12/27/2017)
-2018 fix C126 and enjoy it as much as possible, W116 remained parked
-2019 fix C126 and enjoy it as much as possible, W116 remained parked
-2020 weird year! Started the year as fix C126 and enjoy it as much as possible, W116 remained parked, but that changed in August when I brought the 116 home. Put the interior back together (no more parts in the basement), changed the oil/filter, flushed the P/S fluid with Febi and new filter, flushed the nasty dark brake fluid, had to rebuild the front right caliper, found out somebody changed from ATE to Bendix fronts (still ATE rear calipers), new front flex lines/pads/caliper hardware/wear sensors.

Drove the car twice, both times 300+ kms drives and it brought me back home safe and without an issue. What's really remarkable is that the car did not have an easy life. Yes it is a rust free California car, but it's got 275,000 miles (440K kms) and it is far from perfect. I was hoping the seized FR caliper was the source of the grinding noise, but I think the front bearings have had it. I should also rebuild the FL caliper for good measure. I also realized that the thumping noise in the rear right suspension is a missing stabilizer bar link. These issues will be done when it comes out of storage next spring.

I blame this car (and Daantjie)!

When the W116 came home (if you look hard enough you will notice the hanging sunroof drain tubes/trim pieces/roof liner, but it's fixed now):

The August cruise to Niagara on the Lake:

The cruise from last weekend, to Thornbury Ontario:

I hope it won't be years till the next update.

Cheers!

karmann_20v

So I have done a few things on the 116 this year:

New AGM battery (thanks, dead ACC servo!)
New FAG front wheel bearing kits (Grease caps don't fit but all else is fine)
Rebuilt FL and RR calipers, as well as a replacement rebuilt FR as the shop that rebuilt it last year did a $hit job
Rear stabilizer bar links
Installed the 126 wheels, as the tires on the original 14" Bundts were gone, the period correct 16" I bought for it are not quite ready yet and I am not buying 14" replacement tires for only a season or 2 max. I expected to hate the look, but I don't

There are a couple concerning items, such as a bad vibration at 100 km/h and up which I suspect is the driveshaft support bearing/mount, as well as the broken booths on the ball joints, need tie rods and steering damper too. Motor mounts seem to be going too and the ACC retrofit would be a nice upgrade in addition to whatever is wrong with the AC system (freon is long gone).

I will put another 1000-2000 kms on it this year, but so far this car is a champ.

rolandmess

Nice to see a Toronto 116!! I'm just closing on a 1973 450se from out west that I'll be bringing out here!
I was gonna ask if you have any tips about where to get service done/if you know anyone who can possibly have a look at AC for me?

karmann_20v

Good to hear you are getting another 116 ti come to Toronto. I will be listing my car soon, btw. Where in the GTA are you? I have one guy in Mississauga that may be able to assist you.

Neil4speed

Great to see the pics Karmann! I am your Milan Brown twin in Calgary (450 6.9). Yours looks immaculate and some fantastic work done to it so far

@rolandmess - Exciting pick up! good luck :) and hope you share some pictures

rolandmess

Quote from: karmann_20v on 12 April 2022, 08:24 PMGood to hear you are getting another 116 ti come to Toronto. I will be listing my car soon, btw. Where in the GTA are you? I have one guy in Mississauga that may be able to assist you.

I'm in Dufferin Grove area. Yeah, please send that info!! Mississauga is relatively convenient to get to for me- also saw your 450sel up on the Mercedes Benz club- truly gorgeous and the wheels compliment it surprisingly well.

Quote from: Neil4speed on 13 April 2022, 12:23 AMGreat to see the pics Karmann! I am your Milan Brown twin in Calgary (450 6.9). Yours looks immaculate and some fantastic work done to it so far

@rolandmess - Exciting pick up! good luck :) and hope you share some pictures

Thank you!! I'm very excited myself. I've been scouring and waiting for the right one for some time now... last summer I nearly bought a 450slc, but I'm glad I held off. This will be the first classic I've owned too :)

rolandmess

here are a few pics of the beauty from when I took a look

Neil4speed

Congrats!! What a beautiful model! Enjoy :)

karmann_20v

Car looks good! Give Carlos a call at (905)306-0575, the shop name is Cawthra Auto Centre.

rolandmess

Thank you for that !! I appreciate it  :D good luck with the sale of yours!

karmann_20v

Thanks! Actually you want to speak to Joe, Carlos is mostly in the shop. Either way if they can, they will help you.