News:

The ORG - No shonky business!

Main Menu

My 450Se 1977 project

Started by Thegger, 27 September 2018, 04:18 AM

Thegger

We have to take an EU approval check of the car every second year. One of the tings they check is the emission. I have a comment from last controll, too high co readings. But im not sure if i need to be passing the criteria with an old car. Im gonna ask next week. Controll then.

Thegger

When i pulled the radiator i drained what I thought was the transmission oil at the bottom. Two hoses to the oil cooler. But When i put the thing together today, i checked the Oil stick for the gearbox and it showed normal level of Oil. I drained many litres through those hoses...??

Mick74

I changed my transmission oil last week and was going to open those hoses to the cooler too, but the "old" oil and filter looked fresh so I left them alone, because I'd surely break something if I went at them. I watched Kent Bergsma on Mercedessource open these and not much oil came out.
Did you have the car running when you opened them if so much fluid came out of yours?
1979 6.9 #6475

Thegger

Thanks for the tip Mick. Ill check that out. I was emptying the engine oil as well and i can be wrong about the amount. The car was not running. I wanted to maske sure it wasnt anything else I drained. But if the level is ok on the stick, it should be safe?
Thanks.

Mick74

If the dipstick is reading normal when hot and the engine running then you should be fine. I found it stressful with mine as I was sure that I had replaced what came out but nothing showed on the stick. Added more, waited, still nothing. I had to leave on a trip, so drove 10 miles, checked it again, still no sign, added more, got more stressed and then all of a sudden, it appeared as full. Drove me mental!
Maybe this video will help. It certainly helped me. I find Mercedessouce a great help with advice and products. Worth checking out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnkPuUoi3c0
1979 6.9 #6475

Thegger

Quote from: daantjie on 06 November 2018, 02:23 PM
From memory on my 6.9 at least, there should be a metal hard line coming off the exhaust manifold, and then this connects to the pressure transducer with a silicone connector and vacuum line.

My metal lines connects to these boxes. Nothing to the transducer.

Thegger

Quote from: Mick74 on 07 November 2018, 04:49 PM
If the dipstick is reading normal when hot and the engine running then you should be fine. I found it stressful with mine as I was sure that I had replaced what came out but nothing showed on the stick. Added more, waited, still nothing. I had to leave on a trip, so drove 10 miles, checked it again, still no sign, added more, got more stressed and then all of a sudden, it appeared as full. Drove me mental!
Maybe this video will help. It certainly helped me. I find Mercedessouce a great help with advice and products. Worth checking out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnkPuUoi3c0

Yeah, its gonna be the same prosedure here then :P Thanks for the video :)

Thegger

Is this the oil pressure?
OEL bar. Mine is going to 3 Bar when I start up. Should it be that high?

daantjie

Quote from: Thegger on 08 November 2018, 09:08 AM
From memory on my 6.9 at least, there should be a metal hard line coming off the exhaust manifold, and then this connects to the pressure transducer with a silicone connector and vacuum line.

I have never seen those little boxes before, quite odd ???
Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber

daantjie

Quote from: Thegger on 08 November 2018, 09:10 AM

Correct.  "oel" means oil in German.  3 bar is what you want yes, this is operating oil pressure and it should peg at the max on the gauge. It is normal for hot oil pressure to drop when the car is idling, but it should always peg to the max the second you hit the gas.
Daniel

daantjie

Quote from: Mick74 on 07 November 2018, 04:23 PM
I changed my transmission oil last week and was going to open those hoses to the cooler too, but the "old" oil and filter looked fresh so I left them alone, because I'd surely break something if I went at them. I watched Kent Bergsma on Mercedessource open these and not much oil came out.
Did you have the car running when you opened them if so much fluid came out of yours?

The oil cooler for the transmission holds very little oil, not sure on the exact amount but you should easily be able to top off this amount just by adding to the filler tube.  By far the biggest volume is held in the transmission pan and torque converter.  I can only stress again to really check hot idling oil level multiple times.  It can be very tricky to get a good reading on the stick.  Go for a quick drive to fully warm the car up, then make sure you are parked on level ground.  Leave it idling for a minute or so, then take multiple readings to make sure you are within the min and max levels while the car is running and in Park.
Daniel

Thegger

Quote from: daantjie on 08 November 2018, 10:58 AM

Hmm the boxes are original from mercedes.

Thegger

Quote from: daantjie on 08 November 2018, 11:01 AM
Quote from: Thegger on 08 November 2018, 09:10 AM

Correct.  "oel" means oil in German.  3 bar is what you want yes, this is operating oil pressure and it should peg at the max on the gauge. It is normal for hot oil pressure to drop when the car is idling, but it should always peg to the max the second you hit the gas.

Good, then it is how its suppose to be :) Thanks

Thegger

Quote from: Thegger on 08 November 2018, 11:21 AM
Quote from: daantjie on 08 November 2018, 10:58 AM

Hmm the boxes are original from mercedes.

Im guessing its for the exhaust temp signal in my dash?

rumb

odd part 001-548-26-41 boxes in your picture.  EPC only shows used on 126, 107, 123 all japan versions.

can you post picture of exhaust temp signal on your dash?  never heard of that either.

Do you have your data card with option codes?  maybe something on there explains it.

'68 250S
'77 6.9 Euro
'91 300SE,
'98 SL500
'14 CLS550,
'16 AMG GTS
'21 E450 Cabrio