News:

www.W116.org - All about the Car!

Main Menu

My 450Se 1977 project

Started by Thegger, 27 September 2018, 04:18 AM

Thegger

Hello.
My name is Tommy, from Norway and bought a 450SE with m117.986 as my first car project ever.
I have no mechanic background, so this is just for fun and because i like it. Feedback would be appreciated. :)

The car is a Japan version. Is it sold new there then? Before I got it, it was imported from Dubai. The person i bought it from had it garaged for 8 years because of misfiring on two cylinders.
Since it came from Dubai when he bought it, it not much corrosion and pretty good looking in the paint.

Long story short, misfiring came from bad maintenence on the engine. Cylinderhead were covered in buttery oil, lifters plugged and the camshafts were torn, flat lobes and rocker arms also very worn. Pulled of the cylinder heads after and found one bent exhaust valve and most of the valveseats were covered in sticky shit. Thats why the car was showing high HC on exhaust gas last emission test.

Ive started putting the engine together again. New exhaust valve, cleaned up the cylinder head and grinded up all valves/seats.
New lifters, rocker arms. Now im waiting for new machined camshafts from Catcams with a little more sport profile.

daantjie

Welcome Tommy!
Nice Euro! Green one of my all time best colours on the 116.
You will find lots of help here. Most of us do most of the work on our cars ourselves as skilled older mechanics are very hard to find.
Good luck and keep asking I am sure you will find the community here the best 116 resource on the planet!
Cheers
Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber

Thegger

Does anyone have a good picture of the m117 engine from above? I lost my phone and all the pictures ive taken, so my memory struggle a little bit with where the parts was located  ;D
Without the airfilter.

ptashek

Welcome Tommy, and good luck with your project.
There should be a few shots of the engine and engine bay in my resto archive.

I have more and better quality versions offline if you need them. Happy to share, too.
1993 "Pearl Blue" W124 280TE
1988 "Arctic White" W124 200T
1979 "Icon Gold" W116 450SE

Thegger

Quote from: ptashek on 27 September 2018, 01:02 PM

I have more and better quality versions offline if you need them. Happy to share, too.

Thanks. That was exactly what I needed. What a great job you have done. Really nice.

Thegger

Quote from: ptashek on 27 September 2018, 01:02 PM

What engine is that? I have the 117.986 and there is some differences.

Randys01

Hey Tommy.  For some one with no mechanical background, you have taken on a fairly sophisticated top overhaul. As a matter of interest, where r u getting your shims from to adjust the hydraulic  valve lifters [after the valve grind etc] ?

Thegger

I did the grind Job by hand with a wooden grinding stick and grinding paste. I have not made any measurement of the lifters yet, because i dont have the camshafts yet.
Have used pelicanparts and autodoc for parts. Also have a shop herr in Norway which helps me with parts.

Thegger

Are these chromelists and the flag holder in front any extra equipment? Havent seen these lists before.

Thegger

marku

Really need some camshafts mine are a bit pitted as it was left when a head gasket went and water got into the oil. Did you say that yours has a flagstaff? If you have they are like gold always wanted one. The modern S Class have them and the retrofit kit is not cheap and quite complicated.
1974 450SE silver green/bamboo velour/green vinyl roof

Thegger

Previous owner told me it was a flagstaff, but im not sure what it is. As the car is a Japan version and later importen to Dubai i cant track any info on the car. The Chrome lists on the door is also something not so usual?
My camshafts had to be replaced. So ordered these with a bit of sport profile.

Thegger

Flagstaff?

floyd111

These are universal parking pennants, a massive seller in yellow Asia, and a non-existing item in the rest of the world. I shall refrain from generalizations, but if ever  there was a time..
These were not sold by MB japan, btw, those could still be considered somewhat of an original item. ISome time ago, I emptied out all the online sites in japan, bought every 70's MB pennant I could find for reasonable money. Have not gotten around having them re-chromed with locally made non-invasive mounting brackets for W116. That is/was the plan. When it's done, they'll be available here in the forum, for members. Regarding this one in the photo, it's safe to remove, and i would do so before you impale your neighbor's dog.

Thegger

Thanks for the info Floyd. Good to know 😊