News:

www.W116.org - By the people, for the people!

Main Menu

My 280S . I think it's a keeper?

Started by Justin280s, 31 December 2018, 07:56 PM

Justin280s

Hello team One Sixteen.
After owning my car for approx 6weeks
I think I might have a keeper classic Benz.

I just completed a hot compression test on the 283460km engine.  3 cylinders came in at 155psi and the other 3 cylinders came in at 160psi on my tester. Rather good results  I think?

When I purchased her,  already fitted were a large swag of new parts
Left and right  upper  control  arms
Drive shaft flex discs
New rotors and brake pads on all corners
Bonnet silencer  pad
New battery
And seals and gaskets on the engine

So far I have done a full service cleaned and repaired fuel sender and other small things.
After spending time searching info about my car looks like it might be a Euro spec model?

My only  fear is the oil smells of fuel.  Bit of a worry that needs sorting.. The car runs absolutely great.  Can't really  fault it at all apart  from the oil / fuel smell.. I do think it might be running rich but I haven't  got the ball to tinker with the carburetor.

Any way this is my car  and I love it.

UTn_boy

Well, according to you date card, you car came with central pneumatic door locks, a first aid box,  Becker Mexico cassette with stereo (4 speakers), and was adorned in Astral silver metallic paint with blue B-Tex.  Not a lot of fancy options to go bad, a bullet proof high compression M-110 engine.  Definitely a keeper.  Just be aware that the fuel mileage may disappoint you. haha 

Your car originally came with steel wheels and polished stainless steel hub caps with the center painted body colour, and the wheels wore a 185/70-14 tire.  I see that Bundts have been added, and that taller and wider tire has also been used.  Obviously, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.  I was merely bringing that to your attention should you ever want to take it back to original.  :)

My 280s is exactly like yours.....Astral silver with blue MB-Tex.  Though, mine has air conditioning.  Living where you do, isn't a/c somewhat of a necessity due to the heat?  I didn't see any option codes on your data cards that said the car had a/c.  Was more curious than anything. 
1966 250se coupe`,black/dark green leather
1970 600 midnight blue/parchment leather
1971 300sel 6.3,papyrus white/dark red leather
1975 450se, pine green metallic/green leather
1973 300sel 4.5,silver blue metallic/blue leather
1979 450sel 516 red/bamboo

Justin280s

Thanks for that info.  Strange that is has an that was in working condition in 2014 but no longer and now has a missing the condenser fan.  If it ever had one?
That might explain the loose center control panel broke bits of  dash.. I'm thinking some one has installed or tried to?
The story of the 280 is expanding ;D
It also had two dome light switches in the center panel only one that works.  Plus the ash tray was loose and the cigar lighter has no wire for power. 

Great information and are very happy far any help.  Cheers

UTn_boy

If the car ever had a/c, whether factory or as a subsequent installation, then a condenser fan should be present.  Is there an a/c compressor on your engine, or are there a/c lines running about in the engine bay? 

Justin280s

I can see marks where a fan was once attached to the condensor. Yes the compressor and every thing seem factory.  But the wireing is not on the factory wire loom.  I'm at this stage guessing it has been fitted from a another car and wired by a someone who knows what they are doing.
I will check  it out more tomorrow..

I have not decided  if I will repair the AC as yet?  I don't really  need it here in Tasmania .
I spent this afternoon  to start detailing the engine bay .  I was wondering if maybe the engine came from another vehicle? Happy to report the engine numbers are all matching.

Unfortunately  the last owner died. He left it to his next door neighbor  who had no need for it hence why I now own it..  It was the old fellows pride and joy and even took it to the nursing home with  him in his final years.  And even then keeping up with the servicing of his pride and joy..  After he died the car went in to storage  for about 12months until his estate  was finalized..  The registration had expired  in this time period  but passed inspection with flying colour. 

Ronin2

Quote from: UTn_boy on 31 December 2018, 09:44 PM
Well, according to you date card, you car came with central pneumatic door locks, a first aid box,  Becker Mexico cassette with stereo (4 speakers), and was adorned in Astral silver metallic paint with blue B-Tex.  Not a lot of fancy options to go bad, a bullet proof high compression M-110 engine.  Definitely a keeper.  Just be aware that the fuel mileage may disappoint you. haha 

Your car originally came with steel wheels and polished stainless steel hub caps with the center painted body colour, and the wheels wore a 185/70-14 tire.  I see that Bundts have been added, and that taller and wider tire has also been used.  Obviously, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.  I was merely bringing that to your attention should you ever want to take it back to original.  :)

My 280s is exactly like yours.....Astral silver with blue MB-Tex.  Though, mine has air conditioning.  Living where you do, isn't a/c somewhat of a necessity due to the heat?  I didn't see any option codes on your data cards that said the car had a/c.  Was more curious than anything.

Is there a date card decoder that you can share or is this all just info you have acquired over the years?
1978 450 SEL Silver green metallic / tobacco brown
1980 450 SEL Anthracite grey / bamboo

UTn_boy

Ronin, there isn't a "decoder", so to speak.  However, there are option code lists that will allow one to decipher the option codes.  Many of the option codes I've come to know by heart over the years due to seeing them so often.  The ones that I'm not familiar with I look up in the "List of Codes for Special Versions" book that i have.  These books weren't ever available to the public, so finding them is hard, and when they are found most sellers have ideas of getting rich off of selling them by using the Gold Standard for pricing.  (it's nothing but ignorance on the subject and greed).  Below is a picture of the book being referenced.  Just be aware the the same option code can mean different things.  It depends on the year of the car that the option code is on.  For example, option code 511 between January 1,1973 through July 31, 1981 was used for cars that had a Becker Mexico cassette radio, but between April 4, 1970 through August 31, 1972 code 511 meant the car had a Becker California radio.