News:

The W116 Library - The definitive W116 resource!

Main Menu

Money no object......

Started by James R, 27 December 2006, 12:12 PM

James R

.......what would be your ultimate upgraded / restored 116 ? Would be interested to hear about colours, materials etc as well as technical bits and bobs.

;)  ;)

James
1978 450SEL 6.9 - GONE!

1979 450SEL - GONE!

s class

No question I want a 6.9 with black leather and that dark metallic red paint like the one posted on this forum a while ago (it was a 450 with detailed engine and ABS).  Like that car I would also want the extra wood.  15" Bundts, BIG bore dual pipe, no badges on the back. 

Ryan

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

Mforcer

I'd send a 6.9 my 40SE back to Stuttgart, have the whole car factory refurbished back to new, inside and out.

As for upgrades, I personally don't see the appeal of adding a turbo (or two) to even a 6.9 let alone any W116 (how about a turbo 280S? :P). If I was going to modify the car that much, I would sooner drop in a newer engine that was able to produce similar performance while using less fuel and be lighter mass and hopefully have fewer issues.
Michael
1977 450SE [Brilliant Red]
2006 B200

AMG69

Well, no prizes for guessing mine... ;D......while the above two cars are being rebuilt in Stuttgart I'll have the AMG boys rebuild mine please. "Upgrades Sir?" Why not...see if you squeeze in some 6 spot front brakes calipers, 4 spot rears, 18 inch rims and ABS.  Now she will stop quite nicely. Engine Sir? Hmmmm Tough one....do I get AMG to bore out the 6.9 to 7.3litres or do I just "drop in" a 450KW AMG V12 bi turbo.
Yep, that ought to do it.  And new black leather please...
Send me the bill......

(dont one of you guys win that $A33M lottery this Saturday  - I'll need it)
sigh....sitting back contemplating the next purchase..!

robertd

Being lucky enough to have two 6.9's, I would send them both back to Stuttgart i would have them both completely restored to factory original except for one small thing.
#  I'd have one chopped into a 690SEC. Two door coupe
# The other would be chopped into a two door Cabriolet with automatic soft top.
That would be very cooool.

116   1978 450SEL 6.9 #  4848
116   1979 450SEL  6.9 # 5884
116   1979 450SEL  6.9 # 6225  SOLD
116   1978 450SEL  6.9 # 5128  SOLD
116   1979 450SEL  6.9 # 5884  SOLD
116   1974 450SEL  DJet

Des

I agree send my 6.9 back to Stuttgart, where the whole car is stripped down, repainted a deep metallic black, every nut, bolt, seal, washer, grommet etc replaced with all brand new ones, full black leather, extra wood, door trims, steering wheel, shifter, chrome piece around the gear selector, little wooden door lock plungers, extra wood upgraded around the dials. Maybe even some retro 30's style dials, depending on how they look with the other aspects of the interior. 18" AMG Hammer wheels, upgraded breaks, I want 1000HP out of the motor, actually they could replace it with the W140 V12 if that was easier to upgrade, turbos, supercharges, modern fuel management, full AMG bodykit, no badges,

oscar

Thanks for reminding me about lotto ;D

Seems I might have to wait in line, or maybe bribe a few engineers to jump the queue.  I'd love to see the 350 in perfect condition.  Restored as if time rewound 33 years and I was picking up my new 350se complete with new car smell.  Incidentally, the 350 had a distinct new car smell in 1989 and a few years after.  Maybe it was the MB Tex.  When I got the car 3 years ago, it was all gone.  But one time I took out the panel hiding the fuel tank and there it was.  I was like a randy dog sniffing out the remnants of the new MB smell, but it's all gone again.  I wish they sold that stuff in a bottle.

After I travelled the country and take out the grand slam of concours for w116's, (remember I bribed the engineers to finish mine first), I'd then like to take it back and see what AMG could do to it.  Original motor, fuel consumption not an issue, just add intercooler, supercharger or bi-turbos, whatever.  Let them have free reign to rebuild it (again) with whatever they thought was good for it.  Don't know about colours or interior, still undecided but I do love those 2 white interiors shown recently with the white dash and steering wheel.

The no badge idea is a good one.  It's leaves a bit of mystery to the car.  Either something sinister or better still an absolute glamorous seductress revealing a little but keeping the droolers guessing.  How's that for 116 personification. ;D
1973 350SE, my first & fave

James R

Has anyone actually sent a 116 back to Stuttgart ? Do M-B have an department that does restoration ?
1978 450SEL 6.9 - GONE!

1979 450SEL - GONE!

Des

Yes the classic center does big $$$ restorations, not just on cars they buy but for customers with the bankroll to pay for a "as new" factory restoration on their own cars.

From the prices I have heard, if you need to ask, you can't afford it.

oscar

Hi James,

Repeating what someone else posted a fair while ago, just about anything can be bought new for the w116.  Only one figure remains in my mind and that was being told by a poster that a new gearbox costs around $20.000AUD, 8,050(can't find my pound sign), $15,820USD.  From there can you imagine the cost of new everything.  New steering wheel costs around $1,200AUD too

Actually, you know how spares prices are many times more that of the OEM price, makes me wonder why MB's cost so much new.  They're no different to any other mass produced car, MB just charge as though their cars were put together with spares.  I'm kidding of course but bloody hell!

One more profound statement before I go.  If new everything can be bought as spares, could the classic centre build a new W116 from scratch with parts on hand?  They'd come close to it.  I suppose they'd need at least a chasis.

Is there a weblink to the Classic Centre?

Des

Quote from: oscar on 29 December 2006, 02:39 AM
One more profound statement before I go.  If new everything can be bought as spares, could the classic centre build a new W116 from scratch with parts on hand?  They'd come close to it.  I suppose they'd need at least a chasis.

Is there a weblink to the Classic Centre?

There are some parts that are no longer available, i can't recall exactly what they are, like obscure seals or particular gaskets, there was/is a thread over on the m100 site about these pieces some time back.

I guess if you got to the MB Classic Center and flashed some cash they would make/reproduce any part, as they do have that guarantee about any part being available. All pure speculation but would be nice to talk to someone who works there.

oscar

Quote from: Des on 29 December 2006, 02:46 AM
There are some parts that are no longer available, i can't recall exactly what they are, like obscure seals or particular gaskets, 

I'm amazed you can't buy the correct igniton lead wire holders for V8's.  Don't know what they're called, but the 2 x 5cent plastic bit on the rocker covers.  If I ever get into injection moulded plastics as a hobby, this will be my first project.

macatron

Hi Oscar,

This is the link to the Classic Centre in Germany: http://www.mercedes-benz-oldtimerservice.com/content/classic/retailer/classiccenter/en/home/home/home/oldtimerservice.html#mainnav

Being a purist, I wouldn't waste a second having my car restored at the Classic Center should I suddenly stumble upon unlimited funds.  Every nut, bolt, and seal replaced or reconditioned to new standards...

jjccp

Quote from: oscar on 29 December 2006, 02:51 AM
I'm amazed you can't buy the correct igniton lead wire holders for V8's.  Don't know what they're called, but the 2 x 5cent plastic bit on the rocker covers.  If I ever get into injection moulded plastics as a hobby, this will be my first project.

Oscar,

Autohaus Az has them for my 6.9. part number 1101590540 for $3.70 each. They call them "Wire Holder for Spark Plug Wires; Black Plastic."

And if money is no object, I'll take the Black on Black Euro 6.9 that is in a warehouse a couple of miles away from me.

Jim
1977 280 SE
1978 San Juan 23
1979 6.9 #6846

oscar

Thanks for the link macatron 8)

jjccp and BigR

I might have to get styria to back me on this but the original wire holders only hold 4 wires each and can't be bought anymore. (So I'm told)  When I got a shipment from Autohaus Az a few months ago, I saw those holders but they are the upto 6 wire variety.  Mine have a 116 part number, holds 4 wires each, but I can't tell you the rest or show you pics until I get my car back. 

It sounds trivial in the scheme of things but I'd like to get the 4 wire holder type if I could

BTW. One more addition to the money no object,  I'd like clear tail and front indicator lights just to see how they look.