News:

The Org - Serving W116 Enthusiasts since 2004!

Main Menu

Mercedes-Benz vs Porsche

Started by Mforcer, 04 December 2011, 09:18 PM

Mforcer

When the Porsche 928 was released in 1978 with the 4.5L K-Jetronic engine producing 177 kW and 363 Nm, the relatively old 4.5L M117 produced 165 kW and 368 Nm, suggesting the M117 must have been an exceptionally good engine and car for the time.

I am sure there are other differences between the engines, and there is certainly vast differences in the cars each engine was powering, but I am very impressed by the M117! With all the focus on the M100, it is easy for everyone to forget that the other engines were at least just as good in their own right :)

In the library is one of my favourite articles, Designs Analysed: The Mercedes-Benz M116 3.5-litre vee-8

I don't know much about engines but I would appreciate to read what others think, especially in comparison to engines from the same time.
Michael
1977 450SE [Brilliant Red]
2006 B200

raptor75104

This is comparing apples to oranges, really. The Porsche unit is all aluminum and DOHC, and hasn't aged well. But the 928 was a rather unloved car too, right from the beginning in 1978. Porsche purists were not accepting. "Porsches are supposed to have flat engines in the back!" LOL. Anyway, they are neat cars, in my opinion, but are money pits. My preference in Porsche will always be for a flat 6. I used to work at a shop that catered primarily to luxury and exotics and we did have a couple 928s come in. They were usually desperate for maintenance and the owner would get pretty discouraged when they got an estimate to do the basic things to bring the car up to a reliable standard, like cooling system work and a timing belt.

The 4.5L in our 116s is a FAR superior engine. While SOHC, it makes excellent torque, is a rather low maintenance engine, is well developed over years and is enjoyable to drive. Bullet-proof drivetrains.

WGB

And even the 928 used Mercedes supplied atomatic transmissions.

Bill

Ilike300sd

Quote from: raptor75104 on 04 December 2011, 10:41 PM
...hasn't aged well... but are money pits.

This is wrong on both accounts.  I have owned 3 928s and still own 2.  They are very similar to older MB in terms of maintenance, ownership costs, etc.  Old German cars (including BMWs also) have failing electrical systems that need attention.  Most share pretty similar fuel injection systems which can be finicky at times.  On 928s you need to do regular maintenance on grounding points. 

Hasn't aged well?  These cars are revered and have a cult-like following.  They are considered by many to be one of the most beautiful cars ever made.  And they drive incredibly well even at 30 years old.  My unrestored 82 drives almost like new.  Same with my W116s.  Notice that everything I'm saying about the 928s could just as easily be said about W116s.  Both W116 and 928s are extremely well built, have a unique style, and a feel of quality and ride you just can't find anymore.

The 928 V8s are very smooth, powerful, and sound incredible.  These cars are not money pits at all if they have been maintained.  Its exactly the same as with Mercedes, if you get a neglected, worn out one it will cost lots of money to restore.  Same with Porsche, BMW or other old German cars.

I'm new to the MB 4.5 but I like it a lot so far.  I haven't had a chance to really open it up on a deserted road yet but can't wait to.

Big_Richard

Grant V

I've read a few articles where the 928 was said to have disappointing performance when it was launched. Only with the 928S and later models did the performance increase and the last were rockets. So, did the M117 give exceptional performance, or was the initial 4.5l 928 underpowered?
Any which way you look at it, I think that both these engines were made to a high standard of quality, both in terms of engineering and the quality of materials used.
I've recently done a mini-restoration on my 928 to sort out a number of issues. Bear in mind that I've owned the car now for 12 years and bought it with 80 000km - it now has about 450 000km, and the auto box oil leaks got so bad that I had to do something about it. The engine has NEVER been opened, regardless of the fact that it has been overheated twice. She's starting to use a bit of oil now and gives a puff of smoke when you accelerate, but I'm convinced it's probably valve stem seals.
The 928 is faaaaaaaarrrrrr more complicated to work on that a W116 (the engine bay is bloody tight) and removing the gearbox requires the entire rear suspension to be removed first. However, the gearbox on the 928S is a pure W126 unit (the earlier ones were W116 three speed units), and after this sort of mileage all it needed was five reverse clutches and a seal kit. Viva Mercedes-Benz, Viva!!!
For some reason the 928 is unloved, and it's probably the world's best kept secret. People either love them or hate them.
"You've bought another bloody car?!? We should have you committed!" he shrieked, storming out of the room