Me driving 1978 350 SEL V8 MANUAL! (Turn up the VOLUME!!)

Started by W116350SEL, 17 October 2009, 02:40 PM

W116350SEL

ust wanna share with you a  couple of videos of me having fun with my 1978 W116 350SEL... Enjoy!!!

I apologise for the quality of the video, but cant wait for daylight ... had to do it TONITE! Its not about the picture, its about the SOUND! Turn it up...

(Turn up the VOLUME!) Not many Merc V8s come with a stick shift...

ENJOY!

TJ 450

That is something special alright. I love the sound!

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

Big_Richard

wow, is that really what a stock 350 sounds like?

Have you done anything to it ?

W116350SEL

Hi there,

Well, ive never ridden/driven any other 350 so I wouldnt know how a 350 normally sounds like :) Mine has been sounding like this since i could remember.

And no, i did not do anything to the engine, its a stock-standard 1978 350SEL 4-speed manual. The only thing ive changed is the middle exhaust muffler with one from W126 300SE as i could not find the original exhaust here. (well even if i could, it wouldnt make economic sense...)

The muffler actually made the exhaust "quieter" which im not complaining about as i can hear the ENGINE more now ;)

Oh by the way, i tried drag racing at the stoplight with a 450 SEL 6.9 a few years back and he couldnt keep up with me up till 100 mph or so... *grins*

Cheers

Syed

oscar

That's awsome Syed 8) 8).  I've been waiting to get home from work to watch/hear the video on some decent speakers..... loved it.  The manual gear thing just adds balls to the car, must be fun to drive.
1973 350SE, my first & fave

Big_Richard

Sounds like your throwing a challenge out there ;)

I'll be willing to give it a go ;)

W116350SEL

Hi Patrick :)

Well, as long as its a 1/4 mile (or shorter), i'll take up the challenge ... anything longer i have to "chicken out" ;) After all, my engine is HALF as big as YOURS... ;)

Maybe we can take a video of our cars from 0, say up to 100mph, and post them here and time each run and see who get to 100 first... (although speedometer would have some error, but you get the idea)

What do you think? :)

Cheers

Syed

W116350SEL

By the way Patrick, i hope yours is the US-Spec (detuned) 6.9... otherwise i will be eating dust... ;) wink

Big_Richard

I don't think there would be too many US spec 6.9's in Australia where i am ;)

Although engine wise, they are basically the same configuration, just the AUS versions missed out on lambda control and dogalytic converters, all else is identical.

My car is as usual in pieces again so I'll have to borrow someone elses 6.9 to thrash for a you-tube video.... Theres a certain Blue one that comes to mind ;)

W116350SEL

Quote from: Patrick Bateman on 18 October 2009, 10:42 AM
I don't think there would be too many US spec 6.9's in Australia where i am ;)

Although engine wise, they are basically the same configuration, just the AUS versions missed out on lambda control and dogalytic converters, all else is identical.

My car is as usual in pieces again so I'll have to borrow someone elses 6.9 to thrash for a you-tube video.... Theres a certain Blue one that comes to mind ;)

Well... i know i'll be eating dust then. (just watched youtube and saw a well-sorted 6.9 accelerating on autobahn) Once it reaches 80kmh its amazing... thats what 460ft-lb of torque would do even with 2.95 FD i guess... 

Let me know if you're ever in Malaysia, you can have a ride in my 116 :) Its only 5-hour flight away anyway...

Cheers

Syed

Big_Richard

there are constantly specials to fly there for $100, so i may take you up on that offer one day ;)

I would love to drive a manual v8 w116  8)

W116350SEL

Hi again

I had a wonderful drive down south about 200km one-way trip with the 350 this morning and felt that the handling was wobbly especially during crusing speed corner. I knew something is not right.

When i reached my destination I had the car on hydraulic jack... and guess what? The drag-link that connects the anti roll bar to the rear suspension arm was "hanging" in the air on the left rear... so i basically had antiroll bar on the right rea only! ... lucky i didnt exceed 90mph (150kmh)... ;)

Changed the link on both sides for RM150 (about Aussie $30 plus $20 labour)... the car drives like a gem now.

Cheers

Syed

Big_Richard

from memory, there are 2 version of those links available, i think the genuine ones are plastic, and the after market ones are metal. I know which ones i'd be choosing  8)