News:

The ORG - No shonky business!

Main Menu

Lost keys :(

Started by Casey, 11 September 2011, 10:58 PM

Casey

I lost my only keys to my cars today, and the 300SD is parked at a park right now, where it will surely be towed if I don't get it dealt with tomorrow.  Can the door be opened from the outside with a coat hanger or somesuch, and could anybody please tell me how?  If I can get it open then I can at least get it towed.  If it comes down to it I guess I could have it towed by MB and order a new key through them.  Will need to figure out how to get some cash without ID or bank card, though, because I lost my wallet too.

CJP28

Damn that sucks man, good luck!

TJ 450

You might have to screwdriver the lock, as a 116 is difficult to get into without damaging things.

Even if the steering is locked, you can still get it on a flatbed with some effort (locking up the wheels) etc.

Good luck.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

300SDude

The tow company should have a way to get into your car. Usually they have a slim jim or some other devices they can try to get into it. The vacuum doesn't work on my locks, so I have to manually lock and unlock them, and the drivers door won't lock unless I use the key. If yours still work, it might be kinda hard to get it to pop if it's going to pop all the locks.

Luckily, I got mine with 3 keys, so I keep one of them in a key box in the house that has keys to everything we own.

Best of luck to you, and hopefully it will not cost much to get it fixed.

300SDude

Casey

I searched around for 5 hours in the woods this morning, and finally found everything.  *phew*  I really need to order some spare keys!

Squiggle Dog

Wow, that's amazing you found everything!

I was thinking that maybe the hood could be popped by sticking a screwdriver through the grille and hitting the end with a hammer on the spot where the cable goes... I know that on the W110/W111 fintails you can open the hood by sticking the head of a hammer through the bottom of the grille and then smacking the release mechanism.

Once the hood is open you might be able to disconnect one of the vacuum lines to get the door locks to release, then be able to open the doors. I'm not sure if this would work or not.

But in any case, you found your keys, so yay! My doors don't lock, so at least I don't have to worry about locking myself out of the car, just having stuff get stolen.
Stop paying for animal cruelty and slaughter. Go vegan! [url="https://challenge22.com/"]https://challenge22.com/[/url]

1967 W110 Universal Wagon, Euro, Turbo Diesel, Tail Fins, 4 Speed Manual Column Shift, A/C
1980 W116 300SD Turbo Diesel, DB479 Walnut Brown, Sunroof, Heated Seats, 350,000+

Casey

Quote from: Squiggle Dog on 12 September 2011, 04:00 PM
But in any case, you found your keys, so yay! My doors don't lock, so at least I don't have to worry about locking myself out of the car, just having stuff get stolen.

I almost  never lock my car, because it's a pain - the vacuum system works enough to unlock all the doors as I drive, but won't lock them all when I park, so I have to go around and lock them all by hand.

scraf

Here in the Netherlands a decent locksmith will make up copies of Mercedes keys, well worth the piece of mind.

... and, er, the "AA" or Automobile Association, the club that comes and helps you when you break down has some rather more subtle ways of breaking into cars than using a screwdriver, involves compressed air bag thingies.