News:

The ORG - Truly Independent and Unbiased!

Main Menu

Let's talk paint.

Started by Des, 17 September 2006, 06:42 AM

Des

I am curious what colours everyone likes on a W116, often I realise we don't get to choose the colour of our ride but what colour if you could have it would your W116 be? Doesn't even have to be a factory original colour. I think the factory metallic gold and silver paints look very nice. I really enjoy metallic paints in general, also being largely conservative I like black, white and silver paint schemes. If I had to choose on a new car I would probably lean towards a dark deep metallic green, maroon or a deep blue.

s class

My 280SE is a slightly darker silver than the classic astral silver.  I personally am not fond of metallic paint, but for both my W116 and W140 I have accepted silver as it is like the classic Mercedes colour.  I think the choice of a suitable colour depends a lot in the interior colour.  If I do indeed buy the 6.9 I'm looking at, I will change the colour.  I will also replace the interior, os I guess this gives me completely free choice.  I am considering the following :

Standard colours :

Black paint, black leather
Silver paint, black leather
Metallic turd brown paint, light brown leather (the Ronin colour scheme)
Dark bottle green paint, black leather

Non Standard colours :

Burgundy metallic paint (like that incredible restored 450SEL with all the wood interior fitments whose photos did the rounds recently) plus of course black leather.

Did I ever mention I'm really hung up on black leather for a Mercedes  ;)

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

Papalangi

My 450SEL is painted Porsche metalic blue and it looks good.  My 250C on the other hand is light grey, dark grey, flat grey, silver and rust.  It does not look good.

Michael
'83 300SD, I'm back!  It's the son's new car (12/2020)
1976 450SEL, 116.033  Sold it to buy a '97 Crown Vic.  Made sense at the time.
1971 250C, 114.023
1976 280C
1970 250/8

oscar

Most 116's I had seen before I knew what a w116 was were either white or silver.  But there really was a large number of factory colours availabe and the german link with colour chips and codes I can't find >:( Anyone know the one I mean?

I'm probably one of the few that don't mind white however the thought has crossed my mind many a time about changing when it does get resprayed.
Be it this car or another 116, my favourites are;

-candy apple red, with cream or my current parchment interior.
-black with cream interior or all black, but the air con had better be working.

Other than that I do like any of the rich dark colours with a deep gloss.  Green, red, blue.
1973 350SE, my first & fave

Tomi

Quote from: oscar on 17 September 2006, 09:50 PM
Most 116's I had seen before I knew what a w116 was were either white or silver.  But there really was a large number of factory colours availabe and the german link with colour chips and codes I can't find >:( Anyone know the one I mean?

Hep hep,

must be this link: http://www.meinbenz.de
go to farbtabellen and choose chassis you will find all the colors which were available.

or go to polterung and you will find the interiors which were available.

Mine is inca red with black leather (before it was grey velour), it is a very special color.

I like all colors if in good condition.

oscar

Much obliged Tomi,

I thought it was the Russian site which had the colours stretched over a timeline.  This meinbenz colour chart is great and although I've seen it before, I only just realised that most of the colours are hyperlinked to pics of examples. Inca red had no examples unfortunately Tomi, so you're still the only inca red I've seen.

I'll throw metallic anthracite grey 172 and metallic silver green 180 on my list.
1973 350SE, my first & fave

Brian Crump

Colours?
My 450SE is Thistle Green with Creme leather - my 230E is Thistle Green with Creme MB-Tex - my ML320 is Titanite Red with Creme leather - the CLK350 has been ordered and will arrive at Christmas and will be Cubanite Silver with Creme leather. Is there a theme emerging?
Colour is so important when driving, I never want to own a grey/black interior again in my life. My A190 was Silver with the Rotterdam Grey interior and it was as depressing as a mental asylum when inside it.
My choices for any car are;
Navy with creme leather.
Dark green or red with creme.
White with red or tan.
Impala brown and whatever brown MB has with it - maybe Mocha? Looks good enough to drink.
Regards,
Brian

michaeld

You will look at my picture and say, "Well, it kind of figures," but I prefer black.

Mind you, I DO also like the silver.  I also like the green.  Brown I can do without; same same with that mustard yellow I keep seeing on old Benzes.  Hope nobody with a brown or yellow MBz isn't grinding their teeth reading my preferences...

My interior is tan (I think it's actually called "bamboo").

I like w116s because they have what I consider a "classic" look; and I like the "classic" colors to go with.  You can take my car to any wedding or any funeral procession!

editjunk

I always thought my '73 350SE was Lapis Blue, turns out it's probably Tief Blue. Styria has seen the crappy paint job on my car and will probably tell you it's Cheap Respray Blue.

I like it. I've got a white MBtex seats (currently covered with luxurious sheepskin) and black trim all the way 'round. It gives the car a solid no nonsense feel that I think correspends pretty perfectly to the 116 aesthetic.

There is a white 280SEL around the corner from me and that car looks absolutely fantastic - so gleaming.

editjunk

Howdy Styria - I'm a bit of a yoyo these days. I was thinking of moving to a 300 coupe, but every time I get behind the wheel of the 350, I get this huge smile and I'm nervous if I change cars the smile won't be as big.

s class

I'm the kind of difficult fellow that the M189 appeals to.  I think though that editjunk may be referring to the W124 300CE.  If so, I think that will generate a smile about 60% as wide as a sorted W116. 

Right now my smile is very wide.  I had a week's leave and my W116 is back on the road with rebuilt rerar suspension and steering box.   ;D ;D ;D

Just as well since the W140 is on stands with fuel issues. 

styria,  the petrol green is unusual on the 116.  I always think of it as a W126 colour.  Here in South Africa, about half the 380SE's I see seem to be petrol green (with a lot of the laquer peeled off).
I must second Tomi and say that any colour in good condition looks better than any other colour in bad condition.  My vote though is still for the darker colours to show off the chrome, ahem, adonised aluminium.  So I think that petrol green fits that bill, and from the pics I've seen, it does gleam as you claim.

Ryan

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

dudu

Hi.

Mine "should be" a ByzanzGold.. but.. previous owner repainted it on a non-standard "mustard" colour...

Now i have a crazy idea on my mind.. and may be i will paint it on AnthrazitGrau  ( 172 color code ). It will look fantastic with a "dark" colour outside and the bamboo inside...

Something like this... ( but with the old-fashioned 14 inch rims ).

c.u.

alabbasi

Mine was thristle green , I painted it silver.

Here are some before and after pictures:

With best regards

Al
Dallas, TX USA.