News:

www.W116.org - The #1 resource for our W116! Established 2004

Main Menu

Kelly Slater's W116

Started by oscar, 31 May 2011, 07:35 AM

oscar

Never thought a W116 to be a typical surfer's car.  Nowhere to put boards for starters. Anyhow....

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Kelly-Slater-Mercedes-benz-280-SEL-1979-/120731326950?pt=AU_Cars&hash=item1c1c25d9e6

1973 350SE, my first & fave

TJ 450

I would've thought a Crayford was more appropriate for sure.

It could be a reasonable car though.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

Squiggle Dog

Hmmm... I wonder how hard it would be to remove the marker. I can see having a signature on it, but writing stuff about winning the car in marker on the seats?
Stop paying for animal cruelty and slaughter. Go vegan! [url="https://challenge22.com/"]https://challenge22.com/[/url]

1967 W110 Universal Wagon, Euro, Turbo Diesel, Tail Fins, 4 Speed Manual Column Shift, A/C
1980 W116 300SD Turbo Diesel, DB479 Walnut Brown, Sunroof, Heated Seats, 350,000+

Big_Richard

Yep, I'd be cracking out the spray and wipe and cleaning all that crap off  ::)

really, it makes no difference to the value, unless it was a real celebrity that is..  ;D

Mforcer

Michael
1977 450SE [Brilliant Red]
2006 B200

1980sdga

hi ho

Nowhere to put boards for starters.

Not vandalised ..... not for sale

SELfor50

That's pretty funny.

It would be cool if you were a coasty.. but I can imagine the dude has a reserve of like 10k or something... never gonna get there.  Probably won't get anything close to 3k for it.

I find it hard to come to grips with a piece of any type of sporting memorabilia that you need to maintain, and can deteriorate at such a rate..
Not like a signed board or photo you can hang on a wall...

Mforcer

I have never understood the appeal of "famous" prior owners or the appeal of any sporting memorabilia for that matter ::)

I can understand if the car was used by a cruel dictator of an impoverished nation to suppress his people (or run them down :-\ ) as that is something not many cars can boast but does Kelly's sweat and BO add more value than mine? Not from where I sit.
Michael
1977 450SE [Brilliant Red]
2006 B200

oscar

Quote from: hi ho on 31 May 2011, 08:40 PM
Nowhere to put boards for starters.

Not vandalised ..... not for sale

Dang, I take that back 8)

Mforcer, I tend to agree.  Depends on the former owner I suppose and what sort of customisation if any was carried out, (not sure Artline texta counts).  But it would still be a pretty cool anecdote to say "my car belonged to .... so and so".   Be they famous or infamous.  Which means really, really famous  ;D (thinks of Three Amigos)

hi ho

to say "my car belonged to .... so and so

Well now you mention it Oscar -  the Merc with the boards on the roof....  I dunno if it's true, but I was told the car was purchased new by Sir Robert Askin Premier of NSW in 1974 - He optioned it with red interior, but thankfully declined to sign any of the seats...

Cheers Greg

oscar

See!  Awsome  8)  A talking point that'll stay with the car forever. 
It's like the ex Jeff Kennet 6.9 in WA, forgot who's got it now, someone here I think.  But with bragging rights of former Premier of Vic as owner and being able to say the car was driven by Fangio as well....it might look like any other 6.9 but the story's gonna get a few Wows! and Reallys!!? from whoever hears it.

Hey I wonder if Sir Askin put the racks on.  I heard he was a longboarder. ;D 

hi ho

That's great Oscar! - love the humour :)

...I hear he was a bit of a crook....so the racks are probably hot! javascript:void(0)

oscar

Yeah I've heard the name but had to google him before to get more info on him.  Might be worth pulling the rear seat out to check for undisclosed political donations.  $12 is the most I've found in a w116.