News:

The ORG - Truly Independent and Unbiased!

Main Menu

It followed me home (honest)

Started by oversize, 26 January 2013, 06:42 PM

Tony66_au

Start the bugger and see if it runs and drives Mark.

Hows the Chassis?

Rust wise its not too bad from where I sit.

The top corners of the front guards (Fenders) rust out because they are left sitting and grow mud and dust which then rots the tin out.

All in all apart from the interior if she starts and runs ok its possibly a fixer mate.

ZCarFan

Quote from: oversize on 30 January 2013, 02:58 AM
Struts alone were going to cost me over $1K (in unknown condition), so yes I think I got a good deal.

Funny you mention that Casey because all my other ENGINE numbers have a 22 in them but this one's 12....  I'm not sure if that means anything significant?  Could it be a typo?

The rims are from a W126 and I've already thrown the hubcaps in the bin!  To me they don't belong on ANY MB!

The canister is the 'carbon canister' and is part of the polution control system on Aussie delivered cars.

So does anyone know how I could find the history of this car, BEFORE I commit to pulling her apart for good (reluctantly)?

Too bad about the hubcaps, those are the ones I need for my W126 280SE and they are really hard to find here.  Agree that they are not exactly pretty.  Oh well, shipping from AU to US would be too much anyway.

Casey

Quote from: ZCarFan on 30 January 2013, 09:12 PM
Too bad about the hubcaps, those are the ones I need for my W126 280SE and they are really hard to find here.  Agree that they are not exactly pretty.  Oh well, shipping from AU to US would be too much anyway.

Why not just use standard W126 alloy rims? You can buy chrome-plated versions from Adsit as well, for very reasonable pricing. I like chromed Bundts, but the chrome looks even better on W124/W126 style rims IMHO.

ZCarFan

Quote from: Casey on 30 January 2013, 11:40 PM

Why not just use standard W126 alloy rims? You can buy chrome-plated versions from Adsit as well, for very reasonable pricing. I like chromed Bundts, but the chrome looks even better on W124/W126 style rims IMHO.

Time and money...

With 7 cars I need all I can get of both to make progress.  I leave the house at 8:30 in the morning and usually get home between 9:00 and 10:00 PM.  Then I have more work to do before going to bed... and maybe to have my customers wake me at 2 am when I am on call every other week.  A few hours each weekend too, regardless of on-call duty.   The only salvage yards that are open on the weekends are nearly 2 hours away which leaves ads in Craigslist etc. and even then just sourcing them burns up most of a day  and a few hundred bucks.  Don't forget after all that I have to find time for the wife, house, dogs, cat etc...

So, easier then to just fit the original style caps after scuffing and respray and call it a day.  Either that, or entropy rules.

oversize

They're now sitting on my rubbish pile, so they're still here if you really want them.  But they're not pristine and yes I'd say postage would be inhibiting.  And they're BUTT ugly!

Yes I'll be starting her up to see what's the G O.

She could be fixed, but in the crap colour combo of white with tan interior plus no history at all (even missing the speedo), it'd be a pointless and overcapitalizing exercise.  I do have access to the seats and timber (at additional expense), but after all that I'd have yet another 6.9, but this time it'd be one that's not pleasing to the eye.

Another option would be to go nuts and change the colours completely (at great expense), but then it's likely to be difficult to sell down the track.  And it'd still have no decent struts for Red Bull, or spares for any of my other cars.

The A pillars are my biggest concern here, but it's doing my head in a little because I suspect this one has a better body (rust wise) than Silver Arrow.  I could rebody her with the body from this one but I'd have to cut the chassis numbers from the firewalls and swap them over along with all the other ID plates.  It's do-able and far easier than substantial repairs to sills and rear quarters but something in me says it's just wrong....  Thoughts and opinions anyone?
1979 6.9 #5541 (Red Bull)
1978 6.9 #4248 (Skye)
1979 6.9 #3686 (Moby Dick)
1978 6.9 #1776 (Dora)
1977 450SEL #7010 white -P
1975 450SEL #8414 gold -P

hagar24

Quote from: oversize on 31 January 2013, 05:50 PM

They're now sitting on my rubbish pile, so they're still here if you really want them.  But they're not pristine and yes I'd say postage would be inhibiting.  And they're BUTT ugly!

Yes I'll be starting her up to see what's the G O.

She could be fixed, but in the crap colour combo of white with tan interior plus no history at all (even missing the speedo), it'd be a pointless and overcapitalizing exercise.  I do have access to the seats and timber (at additional expense), but after all that I'd have yet another 6.9, but this time it'd be one that's not pleasing to the eye.

Another option would be to go nuts and change the colours completely (at great expense), but then it's likely to be difficult to sell down the track.  And it'd still have no decent struts for Red Bull, or spares for any of my other cars.

The A pillars are my biggest concern here, but it's doing my head in a little because I suspect this one has a better body (rust wise) than Silver Arrow.  I could rebody her with the body from this one but I'd have to cut the chassis numbers from the firewalls and swap them over along with all the other ID plates.  It's do-able and far easier than substantial repairs to sills and rear quarters but something in me says it's just wrong....  Thoughts and opinions anyone?
I thought you said it followed you home, now you are saying you paid money for it, lying are you??

oversize

Well no, I paid money for it and THEN it followed me home!  Saying "it followed me home" was my attempt at humor, seeing some may not believe (or understand why) I actually bought another one (since I already had 5 at the time)!

And (unlike some) I don't lie on line.....
1978 6.9 #4248 (Skye)
1978 6.9 #1776 (Dora)

Casey

Quote from: oversize on 03 February 2013, 08:01 AM
Well no, I paid money for it and THEN it followed me home!  Saying "it followed me home" was my attempt at humor, seeing some may not believe (or understand why) I actually bought another one (since I already had 5 at the time)!

And (unlike some) I don't lie on line.....

Sounds like a stray cat/dog - give it some food and it will follow you home if you're not careful!

Life is too short to diminish its quality by filling it with deceit and dishonesty. :)

oversize

1978 6.9 #4248 (Skye)
1978 6.9 #1776 (Dora)

john6007

Number 6, well done.
If you have lots of time, money & nice storage space I'd say fix it up, but without any one use it for parts. Maybe in 50 years people will rebuild one in that condition.
A 450SEL also 'followed me home' pretty much rust free but in a similar condition. Its life now is a parts car because you can buy something nice for a fraction of what a restore cost would be.
John
79 - 450SEL 6.9 #5628 &  #6466, 92 - 300CE-24, 98 - MX-5, 89 - Ducati 906 Paso

Casey

Quote from: john6007 on 10 February 2013, 11:45 PM
Maybe in 50 years people will rebuild one in that condition.

I'm amazed when I see some of the horrendous condition Adenauers that people will rebuild. :)

Tony66_au

Horrendous condition is a matter of opinion and skills.

oversize

Well she got moved yesterday, into her final position before I put her on blocks.  But this may not be the end of the story for her because the rust isn't as bad as I first thought.  And I'll have all the bits I need from my first car which is pretty well rusted out (but has a history)....  She's a low priority so I'll start her up and change the oil etc before using the struts for Red Bull.  During the process I'll assess whether she's really a viable project
1978 6.9 #4248 (Skye)
1978 6.9 #1776 (Dora)

motec6.9

My god Mark i go away for 5 weeks and you get another 1 . Its a decease  i tell you. LOL  :)
Euro 6.9 255.6hp at the wheels. Watch this space.

Tony66_au

GEOFF!

Welcome back mate,
And just to make you feel right at home im told Castrol oil is on sale at Aldi again.

LOL

Good to see you around again mate.