It Cost Me $90USD To Fill Up My SD Today And $120USD For An Oil Change!

Started by Squiggle Dog, 26 July 2011, 11:07 PM

300SDude

We purchased our kit from http://www.greasecar.com and I had our mechanics install it over last winter. (No, it didn't take them that long to install it, I just told them to keep it throughout the winter and mess with it). It runs great on it. The oil is heated via radiator water to standard engine operating temp, and then I can turn the veggie system off. I turn it off a couple of minutes before I get home to clear the lines. (They told me I should purge it, but I noticed that it just starts filling my tank up with diesel, so I have quit purging it and it works and starts just fine as long as I clear the lines out with diesel). There is a switch and a fuel gauge mounted where the ashtray usually is in the console.

Our '93 Suburban also has the same system in it (although, it does have an extra electric pump to pump it from the tank to the engine) and we have been running on it for the last 4 years. We love it!

Luckily, we live in the boonies, and I get our oil from the little restaurant in our town as well as the bar. There is another gas station that leaves a couple cubies out, but they will not hold them for me and there are other people that pick them up. I love getting their oil because it is almost clean enough to throw right in the car.

There is a website, http://www.fillup4free.com that can hook you up with people that are selling or willing to share their oil with you.

A couple of times when we traveled over to the coast, I put an ad in the craigslist for the area we were going to be (Portland, OR.) and said I was looking for clean, ready to use oil, and a guy emailed me back and sold me 40 gallons for $1.40/gal. I don't really have the room in the Mercedes to take extra oil with me, but I usually fill-up the 15 gallon tank on the Suburban and I have another 3, 5-gallon gas cans that I store behind the 2nd row seat. (This thing is a warehouse on wheels). It gets about 20mpg, which isn't bad, considering I have over-sized tires and wheels on it and it is four wheel drive.

I love our greasecars and would recommend it to anyone willing to spend the time and money. (You can install the kits yourself, just not my cup of tea).

300SDude

PS: I have heard of people using a 50/50 mix straight into the tank down South (AZ, CA, TX, etc.) where they don't have to worry so much about their oil turning to gel.  (I just moved my oil processing stuff into a building that I can heat so that I can continue to process it during the winter. Cold/gelled oil doesn't strain well, lol).

Both the Mercedes and the Suburban have a separate oil filter up under the hood that I replace every other oil change. And actually, my mechanics say that the filters are actually pretty clean even then.

Tony66_au

Cost me $143.90 to fill a 116 if I filled it today @ 149.9 cents per Litre for 91 octane ULP or 161.9 cents for Caltex 98 octane premium which is all I run the Benz's on.

The cure for huge fuel costs brings the economy up to 16 km per litre and comes in the form of a small silver tin can with Daihatsu on one end and Applause on the other and the other kinda cure is a 124 230TE which runs out at roughly 9 km per litre but I tend to drive the Daihatsu (Nicknamed Guido) and dealing with Guido allows me to fill the Benz tank and not bat an eyelid.

The console jockey at the service station remarked on the huge amount a few times which I got sick of so the last time he asked me how I could justify driving such a thirsty car I answered him with "Because Mercedes" and left it at that.