News:

The ORG - No back-slapping boys club!

Main Menu

Introduce myself and my 450SEL AMG!

Started by andrew450AMG, 08 September 2007, 10:59 PM

andrew450AMG

My fellow W116 enthusiasts,

My name is Andrew and im from Melbourne Australia.  I drive a 1976 450SEL AMG (it's not really an AMG but i've done my best to imitate what potentially a 450SEL AMG might have looked like if the AMG boys got their hands on them.)

I'm the second owner and the car's done 560000kms.  I plan to keep the car for an extra 440000kms to reach 1m kms which it will do with no problems (love these old over engineered mercs that you can do such a thing!)

The car is pretty much original except for the following:
-18" Current AMG wheels
-2 1/2 inch exhaust which is VERY loud.
-lowered suspension
-head unit
-steering wheel (as the other one was too big for my liking)

Please refer to pictures below.

andrew450AMG

Sorry people, i having trouble uploading the pictures. Can someone please assist?

Thanks

Brian Crump

Welcome Andrew,
In a past life I came from Melbourne but fled the weather gods for sunnier Sydney (and a little bit of what Sin City could offer... ;D).
I hope you enjoy the Forum and its postings.
Regards,
BC

John Hubertz

Another way is to pick them off ANY www.XXXX.jpg site they are on, copy the link, and ad [imgDNU ]http://http://www.xxxx.jpg DNU(your site of course)DNU[/imgDNU ]  DELETE THE DNU'S AND OF COURSE THE PARENS REFERENCE TO THE FACT YOU ARE USING YOUR OWN LINK....

I'm the pic fiend, and thus do this to save time.

I'm also the fiend fiend, and I offer you a hearty welcome to the finest group of men and women I've ever been associated with - something about these wonderful 116 body cars attracts the nicest folks.

We are a worldwide group - but tend to behave as though we are neighbors, and good neighbors at that.

I once considered trading off my 1977 450SEL, and immediately changed my mind when my friends here expressed such strong feelings about losing contact with me.  It's an amazing benefit to 116 ownership.

Could you tell us a bit about yourself?  There is a thread titled "Who are You", and anytime you feel comfortable enough with the forum folks you might choose to make a post there.

Again, welcome.
John Hubertz
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
(Hunter S. Thompson) 

1977 450SEL (Max Headroom)
[img width=68 height=73][url="http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f248/fullhappyfish/max.jpg"]http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f248/fullhappyfish/max.jpg[/url][/img]

oscar

Hi Andrew,

Firstly, I gotta ask is this yours  http://youtube.com/watch?v=Qh8G_jIMZtg A red AMG badged 450SEL with a hell of a throaty exhaust.

Secondly, welcome.

Thirdly, I'm dying to see your pics.  You can do what John says and join a photo hosting site. Two of the popular ones are www.imageshack.us which I use and www.photobucket.com

Alternatively setup an album in the gallery click here Click on an album.  Click on the sidebar link (top right) then click add item or add album.  If you add an album you can keep all your photos in one spot.  Keep a look out for the "save" button down the bottom so your album is created.  Next, add items to the album.  You can down load more than one pic at a time by clicking on "more upload boxes".  You need to press "browse" for each upload box and click on the file you want to upload then press "add items" down below when you're finished.

Once uploaded, you'll need to copy the picture/s' URL or code across to post them in a thread.  Find the pic you want to show and find where it says "get item url's".  Copy and past the "show image directly" box for a full size pic or "clickable thumbnail" for a clickable thumbnail.

It also helps to resize pics.  Search for "windows image resizer" for an easy ugrade to windows pc's.
1973 350SE, my first & fave

13B

Hi Andrew, Welcome.

Is it red?  I thought I might have seen your car at Coburg mkt today.

I.
450SEL 6.9 #5440 = V MB 690 , 450SE # 43094 = 02010 H , 190E/turbo # 31548 = AOH 68K

andrew450AMG

Michel:

I tried doing what you said but it still doesn't work.  When i click the sidebar, all it comes up with is the four gallery options.  Im not sure what to do next. When i click on one of the links, it just takes me to that gallery. 

BC:

Yeah i know about the whether in Melbourne.  My saying is "in Melbourne, we don't have seasons, we have samples" I think that sums up everything well. haha

John:
Thanks for having me.  I've always wanted to find a site where everyone drives the same car as me.  A lot of my friends all drive Fords and Holdens and don't really know how good a merc really is.

Anyway, i just want to figure out how to upload my photos to show you my baby.

Regards,
A

andrew450AMG

13B: Was it this one you saw? It wasn't me mate

Oscar:
Yeah that is my beast on youtube! My mate and I thought we should give everyone else the opportunity to hear how good a Merc V8 sounds.  The video does it no justice, it sounds a lot better in real life.

Thanks for the help with the uploading of the pics.

Im still not sure how to put them in the gallery. Can someone do that for me?

116Benz

What a stunning combination, Signal Red with Parchment, AND AMG wheels...WOW! I hope yours is as good as that if not better Andrew...

13B

Quote13B: Was it this one you saw? It wasn't me mate

No, it wasn't yours.... yours is actually nice... The one I saw today was a pretty tired looking unloved maroon 450SEL with blk interior, early-style AMG badge, cheapish wheels.. I didn't talk to the owner...

Great clip on youtube, btw - sounds awesome!  You've unwittingly answered my call for "Big Rev" clips of 116s on youtube even prior to joining this forum.  If you've not seen my clip look for it, the car is green.
450SEL 6.9 #5440 = V MB 690 , 450SE # 43094 = 02010 H , 190E/turbo # 31548 = AOH 68K

CraigS

But where is the tyre smoke to go with all the noise !!!!!!!! All smoke and mirrors ??

Quote from: 13B on 09 September 2007, 04:27 AM
Great clip on youtube, btw - sounds awesome! 
[url="http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n77/Aegeanfoods/My%20Cars/"]http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n77/Aegeanfoods/My%20Cars/[/url]

Andrew280SEL

Welcome andrew450AMG!

Looks like a beauty you got there.

And, it looks like your the new highest mileage w116 owner here. ;)
'79 280SEL- 560,000 Kms
'73 350SE- getting an AMG facelift
'79 450SEL 6.9

nathan

those rims look bloody good. like the rest of your car!
i like the rear badge too!
i know a man who would like this car too, lets just call him Chris
1979 116 6.9 #6436
2018 213 e63
2011 212 e63
2011 463 g55
2007 211 e500 wagen
1995 124 e320 cabriolet
1983 460 300gd
1981 123 280te

oscar

Maaate!! That looks tops. 8) 8)  I'm not usually a big fan of big rims depending on how they look.  Yours suit IMO.  Nice car. 
BTW here's 13B's link http://youtube.com/watch?v=_SrIGM1QdSc&mode=related&search=.  I know they'd both sound better in the flesh but with my 'puter speakers and sub woofer, they still sound pretty awsome.

Andrew, did you do away with the centre resonator and keep the rear muffler or is it just pure straight thru pipe?  What about the crossover up front, did you keep that in?

Quote from: CraigS on 09 September 2007, 04:38 AM
But where is the tyre smoke to go with all the noise !!!!!!!! All smoke and mirrors ??
Craig, didn't you know the "P" in the rear window stands for Pursuit 8)  I can see Andrew answering your call ;D

TassieAndrew,
Quote from: Andrew280SEL on 09 September 2007, 04:54 AM
I think you're right.  Surely 560,000km has to take the prize.  Who was leading before?  You had one over the half mill too didn't you?
1973 350SE, my first & fave

Andrew280SEL

Quote from: oscar on 09 September 2007, 05:07 AM

TassieAndrew,
Quote from: Andrew280SEL on 09 September 2007, 04:54 AM
I think you're right.  Surely 560,000km has to take the prize.  Who was leading before?  You had one over the half mill too didn't you?

There was someone here who had a 280 that had a full million on the clock, but he doesn't have it anymore. My mileage is in my sig below. I assumed I was in the lead before, but you never know, one of the non-regulars could have anything. :)
'79 280SEL- 560,000 Kms
'73 350SE- getting an AMG facelift
'79 450SEL 6.9