News:

www.W116.org - All about the Car!

Main Menu

Introduce myself and my 450SEL AMG!

Started by andrew450AMG, 08 September 2007, 10:59 PM

andrew450AMG

Thanks everyone for your comments.  Highly appreciated.  As i said before, only true merc enthusiasts can appreciate a good looking merc :)

I didn't realise my car would have the most kms out of the lot.  The funny thing is...its still got 440000kms to go. haha

QuoteBut where is the tyre smoke to go with all the noise !!!!!!!! All smoke and mirrors ??

Craig, didn't you know the "P" in the rear window stands for Pursuit   I can see Andrew answering your call

I don't know what you mean by Pursuit? Its just a propationary plate that i need to have for my first 3 years of driving by myself. 
You've unwittingly answered my call for "Big Rev" clips of 116s on youtube even prior to joining this forum.  If you've not seen my clip look for it, the car is green.

That sounds magnificant mate.  I've always wanted to here what a 6.9 would sound like with a modified exhaust.  What have you done to yours?

QuoteAndrew, did you do away with the centre resonator and keep the rear muffler or is it just pure straight thru pipe?  What about the crossover up front, did you keep that in?

Its a 2 1/2 inch straight through from the crossover.  Got rid of the centre resonator and put a sports exhaust at the back.

13B

QuoteI've always wanted to here what a 6.9 would sound like with a modified exhaust.  What have you done to yours?

This thread has some pics taken while the exhaust was being fitted.

http://forum.w116.org/mechanicals/fitting-stainless-steel-exhast-on-450sel/15/
450SEL 6.9 #5440 = V MB 690 , 450SE # 43094 = 02010 H , 190E/turbo # 31548 = AOH 68K

SELfor50

Andrew.... welcome to the forum brother!!

...I only just noticed this thread.

You my friend are my first introduction to the wonderful world of W116.org.
I'm the bloke who messaged you on youtube.
Saw the clip and had to know more bout your wheels...glad you decided to join the krew.

The steering wheel is "pimpin"!! Love it.
Also how much were the rims, and what's the ride like??

Can't believe that ol' girl has over 500K on it, sounds good for her age.

Look around and get familiar with the place, you will enjoy your stay - guarantee it.

Cam.

500eguy

WOW! I usually am against putting newer wheels on a older Merc, but that CLS 55 wheel combo and lowered suspension looks HOT!!!! i really like it:):) How did you lower the suspension? i want to do that fairly soon, did you get springs made?

andrew450AMG

500eguy:
QuoteHow did you lower the suspension? i want to do that fairly soon, did you get springs made?

I cut the springs.  Apparently you can't get springs for these cars.  I might be wrong but thats what i was told.

Cam:

Hi Mate.
Yeah thanks for telling me about it.  I've been looking for a forum such as this for a while.

QuoteAlso how much were the rims, and what's the ride like??
My dad owns the Tyre Factory Mitcham.  He got them and put them on for me.  About 1800 bucks for rims and tyres i would think.

The rides actually okay still.  It hasn't taken away much of the softness...well...not compared to the original wheels where you couldn't feel anything :)
This thread has some pics taken while the exhaust was being fitted.

That looks great mate.  Would love to hear it in the flesh.  Twin pipes are a good idea. Where did you get it done?

oscar

1973 350SE, my first & fave

Des

Nice looking car, although I the AMG badge is the wrong style for the period.

Keep up the good work

mb280sel

Hi Andrew,

Welcome! Your car looks very nice in the pics ;D I think the colour combination as well as the wheels set it off!

Well Done, and enjoy the car!

andrew450AMG

Quotealthough I the AMG badge is the wrong style for the period.

Hi mate. 
I see your point of view but firstly, i work for Mercedes and i got the badge cheap and secondly, a newer AMG badge goes with the newer AMG wheels.  I don't really like the old style AMG badge, it looks too big for my liking.  Thanks for your input though.

QuoteAs far as the rims are concerned, what size are they, and also what brand of tyres did you fit ? Also, did you have to use spacers  for the tyres to clear some of the suspension components ? By the way, another welcome to the forum. Hope to see you taking an active part. Regards, Styria

Hi Styria,
They are 18" x 8 with Goodride tyres on them.  As i said, my dad owns a tyre shop so whatever tyres he puts on, i take.  They do have spacers on them as these rims have a different stud pattern to the original wheels it had on them.  Thank God for spacers then or i wouldn't have these wheels on my car.  haha.

SELfor50

Quote from: andrew450AMG on 12 September 2007, 11:14 PM
They are 18" x 8 with Goodride tyres on them.  As i said, my dad owns a tyre shop so whatever tyres he puts on, i take.  They do have spacers on them as these rims have a different stud pattern to the original wheels it had on them.  Thank God for spacers then or i wouldn't have these wheels on my car.  haha.

Andrew.....Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaattte....   ;D
I don't suppose you've noticed the "Team W116 Motorsport NSW / VIC" thread's?!

It's looking like i'm gonna need a set of good track tyres in the not-too-distant future, you reckon we could talk some more about this?   ;)

Cam.

Des

Quote from: andrew450AMG on 12 September 2007, 11:14 PM
Quotealthough I the AMG badge is the wrong style for the period.

Hi mate. 
I see your point of view but firstly, i work for Mercedes and i got the badge cheap and secondly, a newer AMG badge goes with the newer AMG wheels.  I don't really like the old style AMG badge, it looks too big for my liking.  Thanks for your input though.

That's ok!
Some people don't realize there is an older and a newer style badge, just wanted to point that out if you didn't know.

andrew450AMG

Quote from: styria on 13 September 2007, 01:53 PM
Hi Andrew450AMG, thanks for that information. Your rims are exactly the same specification as what I have on my 'Gleaming Beauty'. How do find ride comfort and handling ? I was pleasantly surprised that the 6.9  was not adversely affected, and I am also pleased to relate that there is hardly any 'tramlining'. I have 'Nankangs' on my car and they are brilliant in the wet. Regards, Styria
Yeah the Nankangs are a great tyre.  The ride has stiffened up a bit but its still very comfortable.  The handling is fantastic. So much better with the front end lowered.  My original steering wheel was a bit worn and the new one is a lot better.
QuoteI don't suppose you've noticed the "Team W116 Motorsport NSW / VIC" thread's?!

It's looking like i'm gonna need a set of good track tyres in the not-too-distant future, you reckon we could talk some more about this?
Yeah i saw the thread.  Sounds great.  Im not 100% sure on what tyres you would need and if we stock them but if you could get an idea and let me know i'll be able to tell you if we could get them or not.

13B

Quoteif we stock them but if you could get an idea and let me know i'll be able to tell you if we could get them or not.

Yokohama A048R or Toyo Ra-1 in a 205/60-14 would be a good starting point.  Team car will probably (initially) running on Bundts, so 205 would be a good starting point. 

(Note: these two tyres are R-compound semi-slick tyres and are probably not listed in standard road tyre brochures :) )
450SEL 6.9 #5440 = V MB 690 , 450SE # 43094 = 02010 H , 190E/turbo # 31548 = AOH 68K

SELfor50

Quote from: 13B on 15 September 2007, 05:32 AM
Quoteif we stock them but if you could get an idea and let me know i'll be able to tell you if we could get them or not.

Yokohama A048R or Toyo Ra-1 in a 205/60-14 would be a good starting point.  Team car will probably (initially) running on Bundts, so 205 would be a good starting point. 

(Note: these two tyres are R-compound semi-slick tyres and are probably not listed in standard road tyre brochures :) )

Mate... i've got some newer 7 spoke alloy rims on her that should actually be really good for the track.
Funnily enough the front wheels (which coincidentally don't actually fit on the back without the centre caps popping out from the axle - so they ONLY fit on the front) are actually wider than the back rims!!
Which i'd assume would be better for the track?

From memory, fronts are:  255/70/16 -and back are: 235/70/16   Will confirm later this arv.

I also have the set of 15's that are on ol' smokey.  They got a 90% set of dunlops on them and i think they're 215/60/15 all round.  (will confirm this later this arv as well)

What are your thoughts on the wider fronts Ian?  [sorry admin, slight hijack of thread]

13B

QuoteWhat are your thoughts on the wider fronts Ian?

I've always ran cars with all 4 tyres the same size - never tried larger/smaller, and can't think of anyone who uses larger front/smaller rear except for a few front-drive drag cars. 

Larger front tyres, in theory, should help with understeer, if you have a car which is a characteristic understeerer.  I'd be more worried about oversteering.  Can we get some pictures of these enormous front tyres?  I have 245s and they pretty much will out the while wheel arch, 255/70 sounds like something you's see on a bus!

Anyhoo... R-compund tyres... look them up... they are going to be mandatory to get this beast of yours around in times within cooee of similar cars.  (They are worth about 5sec/lap over the best street radial.)  And this is where the wheel debate comes in (for me, anyway, as I race my rota on a budget of sorts).  Generally speaking the larger diameter wheel and the lower profile tyre will increase cornering power.  But with lower profile, larger diameter tyres comes with $ expense.  A 205/60-14 A048R is around $230, but a 225/40-17 is around double that price but you don't get double the cornering power!  You get about 10% more.  Your old 14" bundts are starting to look good because with R compound tyres you can get better times than 16" wheels with road radials.

There is a picture and some details on a048 tyres here: http://www.yokohama.com.au/motorsports/