News:

www.W116.org - All about the Car!

Main Menu

Incredible consumption

Started by editjunk, 22 September 2005, 11:52 PM

editjunk

You get 450KMS from city driving on a full tank? I can hardly beleive it. My 350SE only gets between 250 and 300 if I ROLL downhill. How come the massive difference?

hokman

Wow, I can't believe there's such cool people as aussie_dave driving 6.9.  

I'm now 18, by 24, I wish I would have a 6.9 restored to perfection.  I hope I can buy the 6.9 tomorrow.

Contrary to you, I found a one owner W115 240D with 140000km and costs $2000.  But I wanted the 6.9 instead.
Buying a 6.9 is driven the the heart instead of the brain.
Do you think I should wait to see the 240D before I buy the 6.9?

editjunk

What sort of daily driving are you doing? My drive is pure city, with Bondi hills to negotiate and Hyundi's to dodge...

Seriously, I get 300km on 80 litres, tops.

Maybe you're doing expressways and 80kph zones rather than lotsa stopping and starting.

Stay out of jail. If you thought the strip search was rough...

Mforcer

Quote from: "editjunk"You get 450KMS from city driving on a full tank? I can hardly beleive it. My 350SE only gets between 250 and 300 if I ROLL downhill. How come the massive difference?
From my experience with my 450SE, 350km per 80L is average for me. Just city driving will see it fall close to 300km per 80L and highway will raise it to closer to 400km.

It sounds like your car needs help or you really have a heavy foot if it is only getting 250 km from a tank.
Michael
1977 450SE [Brilliant Red]
2006 B200

Mforcer

Quote from: "aussie_dave"none the less, im now not legaly going to be allowed to drive for a very, very long time. Be careful where you floor your 6.9. Being arested at gunpoint, locked up and strip-searched isnt a plesant expirence. I may well make the news, not everyday an imaculatly restored 6.9 is clocked at 91km/h over the speed limmit driven and owned by a 24 year old. I have learnt my lesson now and i think im going to go buy a 4 cylinder non turbo diesel and get rid of my v8's.  :cry:
Sorry to read about your incident. It is all too easy to speed in a car that is designed to cruise at speeds higher than our speed limits.

After my recent trip through Europe, seeing speed limits of 130km/h and higher on dual carrige highways makes me wonder why we can't do it in Australia and other countries where the distances between cities is MUCH greater than it is in Europe.
I must also state that while they have higher speeds on dual carriageway, their single lane highways have lower speeds which again makes more sense.
Michael
2006 B200

hokman

Yea, I think the police sucks.  Why should you be treated so disrespectfully for speeding?  It's not their right.  Most other people would treat drivers of classic cars more respectfully and courteously.  Doesn't the police have any feeling?

If you really need the need for speed, move to germany.  Take your car out to nurburgring when ever you want even more excitement.

If you are banned from driving in Australia, can you be allowed to drive in other countries?

I feel sorry for you, and I hope I won't make a similar mistake.  I still haven't bought the 6.9 yet, because my dad doesn't like it and the condition isn't good.  The seller doesn't want to lower the price for less than 1000 for me.

ulodzi

Anything that is remotely like fun has been legislated away.Cracker night and driving fast are just a couple that come to mind. I would have given plenty to have been capable of 90 over the speed limit when I was 20. My generation, having had our fun now seems hell bent on making sure that the current one doesn't. Persecuting speeding is a "fine" way to gather revenue- but a body search? Perhaps they thought you had a NOS bottle about your person. I suppose there isn't much money in driver training or road upgrading.I would feel a lot less cynical if a real effort was made to train young drivers rather than just strictly testing them on a lot of minutiae. How many over 30 would pass the practical or written test without a weeks notice and is this an indictment on the test?

Ground Hog year 1984 !!

Oh and your 450SEL doesn't have to have a 6.9 to crack 200

OzBenzHead

Quote from: "aussie_dave"Being arested at gunpoint, locked up and strip-searched isnt a plesant expirence.

Oh dear!  Sounds like you crossed the wrong cop in the wrong state.

WA police have a foul reputation - especially if you are:
* young
* non-caucasian
* more intelligent then they are (which isn't at all difficult!)
* having fun.

As for speeding:
Why is it that the lowest per-capita road fatalities figures in Oz are from our one "state" (the Northern Territory) that has no speed limits on its non-urban roads?

Go to jail. Go directly to jail. Do not pass Go. Do not collect $200. Do not - under any circumstances - have fun!

Commiserations, old (er, young) feller!
[img width=340 height=138][url="http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a215/OzBenzHead/10%20M-B%20Miscellany/OBH_LOGO-2a-1.png"]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a215/OzBenzHead/10%20M-B%20Miscellany/OBH_LOGO-2a-1.png[/url][/img]

Mforcer

Quote from: "OzBenzHead"As for speeding: Why is it that the lowest per-capita road fatalities figures in Oz are from our one "state" (the Northern Territory) that has no speed limits on its non-urban roads?
Sorry to take this off topic but it is human nature that if someone puts an arbitary limit in place then someone else will challenge the limit. Set a speeding limit and someone will speed. Make something illegal and someone will try it anyway. The fewer rules that limit people, the fewer issues a society will have.

Having said that, I am for lowering the speed in heavily built up areas while raising or even removing the speed limit in non-uraban areas. Roads are getting better and cars are safer. People generally do not want to hurt themselves or others and will always go at the pace they are comfortable with. Teach people to drive safely and let everyone enjoy life.

aussie_dave, sorry again to read of you being caught speeding. Never a nice thing to happen.
Michael
2006 B200

Mforcer

Looking on the bright side, how long do you have with your car in pieces while working on it? Has the list of things to do to the car been growing or shrinking?
Michael
2006 B200